• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Irma - Florida declares state of emergency
5 5

171 posts in this topic

90% of Pinellas county lost power Sunday/Monday but luckily it seems my warehouse is on the same grid as Police Headquarters so that may be why we never lost power. Monday 1 AM things suddenly got really rough. I was watching trees snap apart and fly down the street. Yesterday at around 4 PM they lifted the barrier island restriction and I was able to get back onto the island to assess the damage to my house. No power on half the island (my half) and trees down everywhere. We're talking huge 100 year old trees snapped in half or uprooted. I lost two trees in my front yard - a Magnolia and a lime tree - and a few palm trees are leaning that will need to be looked at to see if we can save them. The backyard was a mess. Half my fence is blown out and I have debris from other houses everywhere. Luckily no storm surge. That was the one thing that scared everyone. Since the eye of the storm passed just east of us we were spared the flooding. I posted some pics and a video on Facebook yesterday but I'll try to post some here later. For now we are going to continue camping it out at my warehouse until the power at the house comes back on.

Edited by BeachBum

On 9/6/2017 at 3:29 PM, FN-2199 said:

I hear you. I have a generator but bought a window unit AC this morning and will likely have to recover in just one room of the house.

My co-workers from our office in the Keys have parked the fleet vehicles at our building and have evacuated.

Do we have any Boardies that reside in the Keys?  I am in Miami and we were basically spared.  Sure, power is out here in most places, life isn't back to normal, tons of downed trees blocking roads, but nothing from the images that I am seeing today for the first time in the Middle Keys.

5 hours ago, zosocane said:

Do we have any Boardies that reside in the Keys?  I am in Miami and we were basically spared.  Sure, power is out here in most places, life isn't back to normal, tons of downed trees blocking roads, but nothing from the images that I am seeing today for the first time in the Middle Keys.

Don't know any boardies down there but our offices in Marathon are still closed. We should start getting news since they just opened Monroe County back up today. *stay off I-95 south if you can.

Palm Beach county is still under curfew. Power is hit and miss but I was lucky.

Hope things get better soon in Miami.

10 hours ago, BeachBum said:

90% of Pinellas county lost power Sunday/Monday but luckily it seems my warehouse is on the same grid as Police Headquarters so that may be why we never lost power. Monday 1 AM things suddenly got really rough. I was watching trees snap apart and fly down the street. Yesterday at around 4 PM they lifted the barrier island restriction and I was able to get back onto the island to assess the damage to my house. No power on half the island (my half) and trees down everywhere. We're talking huge 100 year old trees snapped in half or uprooted. I lost two trees in my front yard - a Magnolia and a lime tree - and a few palm trees are leaning that will need to be looked at to see if we can save them. The backyard was a mess. Half my fence is blown out and I have debris from other houses everywhere. Luckily no storm surge. That was the one thing that scared everyone. Since the eye of the storm passed just east of us we were spared the flooding. I posted some pics and a video on Facebook yesterday but I'll try to post some here later. For now we are going to continue camping it out at my warehouse until the power at the house comes back on.

Good luck on the repairs and recovery.

I'm sore all over from the repairs to my fence and debris clean up over the last two days.

We had Cat 1 winds here and they snapped 4x4 wooden posts that held up fence panels. All I heard yesterday were chainsaws cutting up palm trees and giant 50+ year old trees in the road. Today i heard all the hammering from people fixing fences.

Trying again, no response earlier ... any Boardies in the Florida Keys?  I think everyone north of Key Largo is generally fine minus the inconvenience of lack of power and other utilities.  But the Florida Keys (especially Middle Keys) were flattened and many had their homes destroyed.  If we can help in any way, please let us know!

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

Trying again, no response earlier ... any Boardies in the Florida Keys?  I think everyone north of Key Largo is generally fine minus the inconvenience of lack of power and other utilities.  But the Florida Keys (especially Middle Keys) were flattened and many had their homes destroyed.  If we can help in any way, please let us know!

I saw a news article that partying has already started on the keys. Trees are down, there is lots of wreckage, but bars are serving beer and everyone is happy. True story.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I saw a news article that partying has already started on the keys. Trees are down, there is lots of wreckage, but bars are serving beer and everyone is happy. True story.

FEMA has already estimated that 25% of Keys residents lost their homes, and most residents sustained damage to their homes.  Not to mention that power is out down there and it's in the low 90s here.  For that article to say everyone is happy is just not true.  

8 hours ago, zosocane said:
11 hours ago, VintageComics said:

FEMA has already estimated that 25% of Keys residents lost their homes, and most residents sustained damage to their homes.  Not to mention that power is out down there and it's in the low 90s here.  For that article to say everyone is happy is just not true.  

The article didn't downplay the damage nor did it say that everyone was happy. It just interviewed locals and some bar owners who said business was back on in spite of the damage. I'll admit that interviewing alcoholics won't give you a realistic outlook. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/09/12/damage-heavy-key-west-but-booze-still-flows/659868001/

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The article didn't downplay the damage nor did it say that everyone was happy. It just interviewed locals and some bar owners who said business was back on in spite of the damage. I'll admit that interviewing alcoholics won't give you a realistic outlook. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/09/12/damage-heavy-key-west-but-booze-still-flows/659868001/

Yes, the locals are not your average breed.

Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes. I wouldn't mind going down there for a Cheeseburger in Paradise. We'll see, Come Monday it will be alright. We shouldn't be Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season.

Hog's Breath Saloon
6 hours ago

Hog's Breath update 9/14/17. We are pleased to announce that our most important asset...our employees,... are all safe!! As for our location in Key West, we sustained minimal damage and have actually encountered worse in prior storms. With that being said we are on the road to recovery. As soon as power and water are restored to the island we will re-open as quickly as possible. Thank you all for your many concerns and inquiries. We look forward to being up and operational very soon and creating many more memories for years to come.

What a mess. This storm touched most of the Florida peninsula. When you think of the power being out from the keys to the North part of Orlando it boggles the mind. 

Still no no power in my area and when we're not supposed to get hit hard. Yea, right. 

Edited by joeypost

One lesson learned from this, is that residents and FPL need to do a significantly better job of keeping trees trimmed, and not planting trees immediately next to roadways.  A false sense of security seeped into South Floridians since the last tropical storm of importance (Wilma, 2005) and it's unbelievable how we continue to plant trees or let trees grow, untrimmed, underneath power lines or beside roadways.  Very hard for FPL technicians to restore power when downed trees need to be cut and removed first.