• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal and Comics

3 posts in this topic

I went to a local Pizza place today for lunch and they were playing some serious Metal music.  You know, fast beat, heavy guitar, and a guy with a frog in his throat yelling about something he was P.O.ed about.  I don't actively seek that kind of music out, but I sometimes enjoy it when I run across it.  It reminds me a friend of mine from the old days who was really into that, and he and I also did a bunch of comic book shows together.  So when I hear that kind of music, it transports me to the days of hanging out with him,  listening to that music and reading comics.  Great times!

Then I started realizing that while it would be fun to experience the nostalgia of reading comics to some metal again.

But then I realize not every comic is right of that music.  For example, I don't think Superman stories would go well with it because he's so straight-laced.  Perhaps some Batman, but not the ones that are cerebral crime solving sprees.   You need something weird...something that will take your mind to different realms and weird places.

So I realized that this was perfect music for the flavor of bronze age books, but only certain kinds of books would fit in well.  Maybe like Man Thing or Dr. Strange.  And yes, Heavy Metal magazine is probably an obvious choice.

What else is a good fit?

On 5 September 2017 at 9:02 PM, Westy Steve said:

You know, fast beat, heavy guitar, and a guy with a frog in his throat yelling about something he was P.O.ed about. 

Yup. That sounds great.