• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended shops in Vancouver, BC?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

Just now, DarkKnightReturns said:

What I'd really recommend is not wasting any time in comic shops as you're not going to find any gems but just take in the local scenery...Grouse mountain, Seawall bike ride, Granville island, Whistler! (pretty sure the beer festival is that weekend)

Suggest you try the Grind up Grouse Mountain. Might give you bit of breathing but once you reach to the top ... well worth the view relaxing and drink up your thirst!  Seawall bike ride is a great way to see around the park...  (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

You too huh...I feel like he tells a lot of people this..."one day"

He does ... oh, he do that. lol   But how many have he showed his private stash? He likely won't let go for a number of years. :baiting:

On 9/5/2017 at 10:38 PM, Fan Boy said:

The Comicshop in the Kits area has the feelings of old school store. They do have some good back issues in some boxes. Lots of newer current comics in racks.  Golden Age in Granville area in downtown is a good store. Lots of GA/SA/BA books under the counters far in back of store inside. Lots of graphic novels, manga and stuff. 

Big Pete's is another good store in North Vancouver.  I think at least about 5 stores around greater Vancouver are worth in visiting. 

Stayed with a friend who lived in Kitsilano some time ago. She lived two blocks away from The Comicshop. Lots of stock to browse through in that store. Bought whacks of $1 books just for reading while I was visiting. 2c

18 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Stayed with a friend who lived in Kitsilano some time ago. She lived two blocks away from The Comicshop. Lots of stock to browse through in that store. Bought whacks of $1 books just for reading while I was visiting. 2c

Unfortunately, they had to move so they dumped/gave away a lot of sweet stock. 

I didn't visit them during the pre-move time but they got rid of a lot of cool stuff that they had since the 70s and early 80s.

On 9/5/2017 at 4:51 PM, topofthetotem said:

Go to Greggy's place and ply him with booze and when he passes out help yourself to some sweet Bronze Age goodness. 

This has a Bill Cosby "feel" to it....,

I say reschedule and come up for the October show at CCC.  Do other boardies have the bottom banner showing up on every page here?  It's the only upcoming event I've seen advertised like this.  It's also one of the only shows I get to regularly.  Wondering if it's a coincidence or am I being regionally targeted somehow??

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 10.23.26 AM.png

7 hours ago, greggy said:
7 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Unfortunately, they had to move so they dumped/gave away a lot of sweet stock. 

I didn't visit them during the pre-move time but they got rid of a lot of cool stuff that they had since the 70s and early 80s.

Ah, that explains it - they moved! My friend lived at West 6th Ave and Arbutus St. I'd walk down to The Comicshop on the main drag, which I recall being at the corner of West 4th Ave and Arbutus St. When I looked on Google Maps earlier today, I saw that it's located about 12-13 blocks away from where I originally thought it was. Thought my mind was playing tricks again! :insane:

9 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

Ah, that explains it - they moved! My friend lived at West 6th Ave and Arbutus St. I'd walk down to The Comicshop on the main drag, which I recall being at the corner of West 4th Ave and Arbutus St. When I looked on Google Maps earlier today, I saw that it's located about 12-13 blocks away from where I originally thought it was. Thought my mind was playing tricks again! :insane:

Actually, there so-called new location is only about a block away from their original location back in the 70's which was on 4th Avenue close to Dunbar Street before they moved to the one on 4th and Arbutus.  :gossip:

On 9/9/2017 at 0:48 AM, lou_fine said:

Actually, there so-called new location is only about a block away from their original location back in the 70's which was on 4th Avenue close to Dunbar Street before they moved to the one on 4th and Arbutus.  :gossip:

An interior shot of the original Comicshop. Needless to say, the new location - while loaded with TPB's, new comics and a limited supply of older (low grade, common) material - will never have the cool factor of those that came before:

The-Comicshop.jpg

27 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

An interior shot of the original Comicshop. Needless to say, the new location - while loaded with TPB's, new comics and a limited supply of older (low grade, common) material - will never have the cool factor of those that came before:

The-Comicshop.jpg

Wow the 70's. meh

On 9/9/2017 at 3:48 AM, lou_fine said:
On 9/8/2017 at 6:45 PM, letsgrumble said:

Wow, I didn't realize that comic shop had so much history. Any comic store that can date itself back into the 1970s is certainly special.

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

The-Comicshop.jpg

Sweet photo, thats crazy. Never seen any old pics from comic shops in Vancouver. You one of them?

I was born in 1980 so this is way ahead of my time. I grew up in Richmond so I don't think I made it out to any Vancouver comic shops until the late 80's when my dad would take me downtown to visit my grandfather. I was only allowed to look too, never bought anything until I had my own money from chores...

3 hours ago, Black_Adam said:
On 9/9/2017 at 0:48 AM, lou_fine said:

The-Comicshop.jpg

Wow, a blast from the past!  :cloud9:

There's the 2 co-owners, Ron Norton and Ken at the front of the picture.  Not sure who the three at the back are though.  Definitely looks like the days of the hippie generation and the love & peace movement or the Haight-Ashbury of Vancouver at the time.  :D

I remember Ken was nice enough to sell me his personal cherry picked collection of Cerebus 1 - 10 when he was closing down his own store in North Vancouver years later.  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

35 minutes ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

Sweet photo, thats crazy. Never seen any old pics from comic shops in Vancouver. You one of them?

I was born in 1980 so this is way ahead of my time. I grew up in Richmond so I don't think I made it out to any Vancouver comic shops until the late 80's when my dad would take me downtown to visit my grandfather. I was only allowed to look too, never bought anything until I had my own money from chores...

I remembered the lady sitting in there (photo). She was there in the 2nd location after they moved from the first location. Forget what her name was, but she always treated me nice when I was a boy going to buy my new comics and second hand Archie digests. I had wrote few notes with Ken there too, about the comics up on the wall. 

I missed the old days when it was lot more excited than now.  

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, a blast from the past!  :cloud9:

There's the 2 co-owners, Ron Norton and Ken at the front of the picture.  Not sure who the three at the back are though.  Definitely looks like the days of the hippie generation and the love & peace movement or the Haight-Ashbury of Vancouver at the time.  :D

I remember Ken was nice enough to sell me his personal cherry picked collection of Cerebus 1 - 10 when he was closing down his own store in North Vancouver years later.  :whee:

Airship Comics at 13th and Lonsdale. Another comic shop I spent a ton of time (and money) at. Ken did  a great job with the store and there were a lot of sad North Van comic collectors when it closed its doors.

2 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Airship Comics at 13th and Lonsdale. Another comic shop I spent a ton of time (and money) at. Ken did  a great job with the store and there were a lot of sad North Van comic collectors when it closed its doors.

Any idea what happened with Ken and where he is?  ???

I know that Ron moved to Detroit awhile back, but I did bumped into him again in Vancouver a few years ago when he came back for a visit.  I was surprised that he recognized me immediately and still remembered me as being one of his regular customers back in the day.  (thumbsu

21 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea what happened with Ken and where he is?  ???

I know that Ron moved to Detroit awhile back, but I did bumped into him again in Vancouver a few years ago when he came back for a visit.  I was surprised that he recognized me immediately and still remembered me as being one of his regular customers back in the day.  (thumbsu

Ken works as a concierge nowadays.

Ron passed away around a year ago.