• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone explain this? (Original Art)

25 posts in this topic

These are color guides, not original art. They sell for anywhere from 10 bucks to a couple hundred bucks, depending on what the cover or page is. It's essentially a small size (comic size) xerox of the original cover, that is then colored by a colored to determine the final look of the book.

So, it's a one-of-a-kind part of the production process, but it is not original art.

Best,

These are color guides, not original art. They sell for anywhere from 10 bucks to a couple hundred bucks, depending on what the cover or page is. It's essentially a small size (comic size) xerox of the original cover, that is then colored by a colored to determine the final look of the book.

So, it's a one-of-a-kind part of the production process, but it is not original art.

Best,

Ah ok, thanks.

I tried reading the seller's description but it was so long winded and verbose I gave up.

Best,

Actually, he's selling a "press proof".

It's what they use to match color on press.

It's a high quality proof of the same image that is used to create the printing plates.

A color guide is what you describe. This is not a color guide. smile.gif

Both seem over-priced to me, but what do I know?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

I wouldn't expect either to sell. A Neal Adams autograph isn't that hard to acquire and I would imagine that the fact that it's on an approval cover wouldn't make that much of a difference. But, the right buyer might drop $150 on something like that.

The Colan piece is cool and looks great but $17,000 seem astronomical to me. The seller might just be fishing for interest on the piece. That said, two Colan original covers (DD #27 and #44) have sold for over $17,000 on Heritage in the past year. What would the actual cover art for IM sell for if it came to market? If this is as close as someone might ever get to ever owning the original art (if it still exists), maybe $17,000 isn't out of the question.

What a great scheme.

"I'm Gene Colan, and every time I need some extra cash. I just recreate one of my most famous covers and Ebay it. Time for a new car, better recreate that Iron Man cover again."

27_laughing.gif

I wouldn't expect either to sell. A Neal Adams autograph isn't that hard to acquire and I would imagine that the fact that it's on an approval cover wouldn't make that much of a difference. But, the right buyer might drop $150 on something like that.

The Colan piece is cool and looks great but $17,000 seem astronomical to me. The seller might just be fishing for interest on the piece. That said, two Colan original covers (DD #27 and #44) have sold for over $17,000 on Heritage in the past year. What would the actual cover art for IM sell for if it came to market? If this is as close as someone might ever get to ever owning the original art (if it still exists), maybe $17,000 isn't out of the question.

True enough, but couldn't Colan make more recreations thereby dropping the value of the first one? I'm new to the original art game, so sorry in advance if these are somewhat ignorant questions.

You could buy a 9.9 copy of Iron Man #1 for that price.

Holy carp! $17,000!!?? I wouldn't pay that for the original cover art, much less a recreation. foreheadslap.gif

Indeed. Not even close to his best work. You could pick up a $hitload of some TOD interiors for that price (easily Colan's best stuff, IMO. Don't believe me? Check out the Marvel Essential TOD. Some killer stuff in there).