• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

!SOLD! >$8,600< CGC 9.9 6-Cover Amazing Spiderman #361!!
2 2

50 posts in this topic

The other 9.9 blue label has been on the census for many years.....

5+ years that I am aware of.  It was there before the 9.9 SS was on the census,  so I'm not sure where some are thinking 2 just popped up all of a sudden.....

No clue what someone would be willing to pay for it BUT 15k seems way high, jmo

Wild book.   Congrats!   Most likely a 1-of-1 type copy.  (worship)

I think 15K is an "optimistic" number.   The first NM98 9.9 hit 12K at auction, right?   I don't think the first Carnage is equal to the first Deadpool, even with the multiple covers. 

But it should be an upper 4 figure book, I would think. 

On 9/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, chrisco37 said:

I think 15K is an "optimistic" number.   The first NM98 9.9 hit 12K at auction, right?   I don't think the first Carnage is equal to the first Deadpool, even with the multiple covers. 

I would tend to agree, but as someone else point out, it's got a lot going on for it. It's not just a currently hot key 1st appearance, it's not JUST a 9.9, and it's not JUST a multiple cover. It's a SIX COVER, 9.9 currently hot key 1st appearance. 6  covers??? I mean, holy carp. I'd think your estimate should be right on, but something this freaky deaky, bidding might get wild.

Congrats on the book. Truly one of a kind.

That said, I still have doubts it's authentic. The book was bought last year for around $100? This was after the Venom movie was announced, but before Carnage is said to have an appearance. I just can't wrap my head around how someone would let this book go for so cheap. A 9.8 would have gone for what, $275-$325? So a six cover 1st goes for only $100? Seems too good to be true. #fishy

21 hours ago, DTM700 said:

That said, I still have doubts it's authentic. The book was bought last year for around $100? This was after the Venom movie was announced, but before Carnage is said to have an appearance. I just can't wrap my head around how someone would let this book go for so cheap. A 9.8 would have gone for what, $275-$325? So a six cover 1st goes for only $100? Seems too good to be true. #fishy

I felt the same way at the time, but if it's a fake, it's been faked convincingly enough to fool CGC, who I'd imagine gave it a pretty thorough looksee. And this isn't the only multiple cover copy of this book known, right? Something wacky may have been going on at the printing press that day.

19 hours ago, F For Fake said:
On 9/18/2017 at 4:00 PM, DTM700 said:

I felt the same way at the time, but if it's a fake, it's been faked convincingly enough to fool CGC, who I'd imagine gave it a pretty thorough looksee. And this isn't the only multiple cover copy of this book known, right? Something wacky may have been going on at the printing press that day.

True, and the fact that the outer cover is a 9.2 means that it was a "raw 9.2" with extra covers, which probably would have been $100 (if you don't know how much premium to put on the extra covers) when slabbed 9.8s were going for $275.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:48 AM, F For Fake said:
On 9/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, chrisco37 said:

I would tend to agree, but as someone else point out, it's got a lot going on for it. It's not just a currently hot key 1st appearance, it's not JUST a 9.9, and it's not JUST a multiple cover. It's a SIX COVER, 9.9 currently hot key 1st appearance. 6  covers??? I mean, holy carp. I'd think your estimate should be right on, but something this freaky deaky, bidding might get wild.

Yea, I was super amazed at how much that 9.9 went for. It's insane. I know Carnage doesnt have the hype that Deadpool has, but I also think the Deadpool hype has died down a bit since the first movie came out. I think it will go for high 4 figures, but the rarity of it may push it over that 5 figure mark. 

On 9/18/2017 at 5:00 PM, DTM700 said:

Thanks man! The gentleman I bought it from was in his late 40s/early 50s. He was getting ready to move at the time and said he was going through the boxes in his basement when he found his comics. He said he has no use for them anymore and could use the money to help with the move. I'm pretty sure he just looked up the price of a raw copy at that time, and they were going for around 70-100, and he may have not known that multiple covers draw more. I didn't believe it was genuine at first, and that's why I had it graded, so I would know for sure. It would seem like a waste though to remove the cover off 5 ASM361s and place them onto another book just for $100, he could have easily sold all 6 books individually for $100 each. 

Edited by Sly Shadow

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, F For Fake said:

Something wacky may have been going on at the printing press that day.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best.  It'd be pretty tough to make one up yourself and get it by.  Especially with the 9.9 in there. 

56 minutes ago, Derbyfan701 said:

Took me forever to find  this....was stuffed away with some older scans....but this was my beauty at one time :) we debated at the Cincy Comicon about removing the outer cover first before having it signed.....decided it stayed!

FB_IMG_1506394786679.jpg

That is astounding.  I suppose the shame of it is, when slabbed, no one would ever know it has EIGHT covers until they looked at the fine print.  Also, that signature is horrid.  At first glance, it just looks like part of his symbiote.  You'd think his handlers at the time would have handed him a silver pen or that he would have signed in the white space.  >_<

9 hours ago, Derbyfan701 said:

Took me forever to find  this....was stuffed away with some older scans....but this was my beauty at one time :) we debated at the Cincy Comicon about removing the outer cover first before having it signed.....decided it stayed!

FB_IMG_1506394786679.jpg

Holy moly. Did you end up selling this? If so, how much did you get for it if you dont mind me asking?

Okay, I'm getting upset with the sheer numbers of error printings, recalls, and pointless to absurdity rarities such as this multiple cover nonsense.  Quad-cover, Sextuple Cover?  I have a 9.8 ASM 361 first printing newsstand edition, and dammit it only needs ONE cover!  Can anyone tell me the rationale behind it?  I consider, among error and rare cover difference features, to be the only such variation that's flat out dumb - this multiple cover foolishness.  What is with that?

2 hours ago, CleverParasite said:

Okay, I'm getting upset with the sheer numbers of error printings, recalls, and pointless to absurdity rarities such as this multiple cover nonsense.  Quad-cover, Sextuple Cover?  I have a 9.8 ASM 361 first printing newsstand edition, and dammit it only needs ONE cover!  Can anyone tell me the rationale behind it?  I consider, among error and rare cover difference features, to be the only such variation that's flat out dumb - this multiple cover foolishness.  What is with that?

It's basic one-upmanship: the technique or practice of gaining a feeling of superiority over another person.

Remember the elementary school playground?  My dad can beat up your dad... no way, my dad was in the army... so? my dad was a general.

My ASM #361 is better than your ASM #361 because yours in a 9.8 and mine is a 9.9... oh yeah? well I know a guy who has a 9.9 with two covers!  ... so, I know the guy who has a 9.9 with eight covers!

It's simply more and more expensive to move up the ranks on the CGC playground.

2 hours ago, CleverParasite said:

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's basic one-upmanship: the technique or practice of gaining a feeling of superiority over another person.

Remember the elementary school playground?  My dad can beat up your dad... no way, my dad was in the army... so? my dad was a general.

My ASM #361 is better than your ASM #361 because yours in a 9.8 and mine is a 9.9... oh yeah? well I know a guy who has a 9.9 with two covers!  ... so, I know the guy who has a 9.9 with eight covers!

It's simply more and more expensive to move up the ranks on the CGC playground.

Could it be argued that while it was a manufacturing error.... it ISN'T a "manufactured" collectible? so to speak, I'd rather have a multiple cover as oppose to a limited edition that is beyond normality's of such.... I mean it shouldn't be that surprising or it's not to me because it wasn't done on "purpose" idk just a thought...

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Could it be argued that while it was a manufacturing error.... it ISN'T a "manufactured" collectible? so to speak, I'd rather have a multiple cover as oppose to a limited edition that is beyond normality's of such.... I mean it shouldn't be that surprising or it's not to me because it wasn't done on "purpose" idk just a thought...

I think you're right.  

We spend a lot of time worrying about the print run (or ratio variant) for books, but I believe it's more important to understand the distribution and history of books.  "Manufactured collectibles" such as 1:25, 1:50, 1:100, etc. variants are distributed in such a way that no one "accidentally" gets one... especially not for cover price... and the history of the book is normally that it went from the distributor to the retailer who priced it so that a high-dollar collector could add it to a group of similar books protected until death-or-taxes.  Where are the biggest manufactured collectibles in the past 30 years?  Exactly where you'd expect... in the hands of collectors who paid big money to get them... and the dealers who specialize in finding big books for big buyers.

Multiple cover books shouldn't exist, but they do. They aren't special at the distributor warehouse, they might get overlooked at the comic shop, and they probably sell for cover price to someone who may not discover the extra cover(s) until they get home... or years later. Where are the biggest "accidental" collectibles in the past 30 years?  No one knows.  A few show up randomly, like an eight cover ASM #361... but it wasn't "always going to be" in the hands of a big book collector.  It's basically a fluke of history... shouldn't exist, randomly sent to a comic shop that ordered a regular edition, probably didn't sell for more than cover price new, and ended up in the hands of someone who might have thought it was neat but didn't think they won the lottery (immediately or eventually).

Comparing thousands of dollars spent on 1:50 variants to thousands of dollars spent on "extremely unlikely events in history"... I think it's easier to see how "manufactured collectibles" are a dangerous game, since "manufactured rare" is easy to repeat... but "extremely unlikely events in history" are essentially impossible to predict who/what/when/where/how... and therefore have a lot more reasoning for the "why" of their prices.

@valiantman good points!

I don't know if we should voice too loudly, because I wouldn't put it past any publisher to market such if it became mainstream. 

On the other side of the coin, take wolverine 75... I remember seeing issues on stands that the hologram was distorted and ones that weren't and in my 9-10 year old brain lol I wanted the one that was functional ha. I think some feel a little jilted, or I would, if the errors and especially back then were over looked and passed on only to become "different" than the norm. 

I'm sure, some look for these kinds of things daily and even on newer editions, I have to give them props if they find something and at the same time do not know what they are looking for lol

That is the thrill of the hunt, some people go for it in different ways (thumbsu

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is the thrill of the hunt, some people go for it in different ways (thumbsu

It's part of the reason that I (kinda) hope CGC doesn't separate the newsstands from the direct editions because sellers online often overlook the difference and price them the same.  Hunting through online scans is much more efficient than driving hundreds of miles to comic shops and conventions...

You still get the thrill of the hunt... and your wins pile up faster. :sumo:

On 9/7/2017 at 4:37 AM, Sly Shadow said:

UPDATE: Hey all, this book was sent off to ComicLink and was listed in their Fall Featured Auction that ended on November 29th. The winning bid was $8,600! A monumental sale for a modern book, and one holy grail was added to someones collection! 

Hey CGC Forum!
Here I present my SEXTUPLE COVER CGC 9.9 Amazing Spiderman #361!!!! Fresh back from CGC! Truly a 1 of a kind. MINTY fresh with WHITE pages! This is currently the only Graded 9.9 Blue Label on the CGC Census (there is a 9.9 8-cover signed by Stan).

My heart is still racing. I am stuck trying to finds words to describe the feeling.
I am truly blessed. Huge shoutout to CGC for their amazing pressing and grading teams!

This will most likely get sent to Comic Link to be auctioned off in their Fall Featured Auction in November! 

x444rq.jpg%5B

IMG_9665.thumb.JPG.31ded1b26793b2a8ef77bc4c97f4a5ee.JPG

Manufactured collectible at every possible level. meh I feel sorry for the "informed" buyer. :eyeroll: