• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

!SOLD! >$8,600< CGC 9.9 6-Cover Amazing Spiderman #361!!
2 2

50 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Could it be argued that while it was a manufacturing error.... it ISN'T a "manufactured" collectible? so to speak, I'd rather have a multiple cover as oppose to a limited edition that is beyond normality's of such.... I mean it shouldn't be that surprising or it's not to me because it wasn't done on "purpose" idk just a thought...

Please excuse the tenor of my post, I just read it and it appears to convey genuine anger.  This is not the case.  I am more flabbergasted than anything else.  I appreciate the explanations, they were very helpful.  They also led to disappointment in the publishers of such multi-cover issues, because that's such a pointless and unartistic way to make a specific issue more desired and valuable.  I far and away prefer variant covers, as in the Fatal Attractions X-Men #25 issue, with gold titling, smattering of black and white in the cover art, and all the rest of the variants.

Now, my prior statement and your replies result in begging this question: In everyones subjective tastes, what are your favorite forms of rare differences in all printed books?  More specifically, I wonder about the "error" and "defect" issues, many of which have been claimed to be subject to recall and that only a small percentage "slipped by," which I don't believe for a second, btw.  Do you guys prefer defects and errors, or do they have appeal in any way aside from variation in higher value?  I have two copies of Wolverine #75 with the hologram on the cover, one appears as intended, and the other is a blue hologram error which is only a blue picture in flat 2D.  But,  my specific issue is far and away the most defective example of this hologram error I've ever come seen in person or online - faint, thin, deep blue lines can be seen on the sides if viewed at the perfect angle/lighting, but no matter how deeply or closely I look, the rest is black as night with no trace of any picture at all, 2D or otherwise.  This interest in rare "recalled" items is nostalgic for me, recalling such examples as the Star Trek: TNG Geordi LaForge action figure shipped without his Visor, and Star Wars Boba Fett action figure with the spring loaded harpoon-ish weapon that was widely recalled after a kid choked on it.  So, error issues interest me, and to a far lesser extent, 1st editions and newsstand versions serve up a bit more interest, admittedly only because of potential value.

18 minutes ago, CleverParasite said:

This interest in rare "recalled" items is nostalgic for me, recalling such examples as the Star Trek: TNG Geordi LaForge action figure shipped without his Visor, and Star Wars Boba Fett action figure with the spring loaded harpoon-ish weapon that was widely recalled after a kid choked on it.

One of the best things about nostalgia in the internet age (once the initial shock wears off) is finding out how many stories of nostalgia are actually urban legends... like this one.

31 minutes ago, CleverParasite said:

Please excuse the tenor of my post, I just read it and it appears to convey genuine anger.  This is not the case.  I am more flabbergasted than anything else.  I appreciate the explanations, they were very helpful.  They also led to disappointment in the publishers of such multi-cover issues, because that's such a pointless and unartistic way to make a specific issue more desired and valuable.  I far and away prefer variant covers, as in the Fatal Attractions X-Men #25 issue, with gold titling, smattering of black and white in the cover art, and all the rest of the variants.

Now, my prior statement and your replies result in begging this question: In everyones subjective tastes, what are your favorite forms of rare differences in all printed books?  More specifically, I wonder about the "error" and "defect" issues, many of which have been claimed to be subject to recall and that only a small percentage "slipped by," which I don't believe for a second, btw.  Do you guys prefer defects and errors, or do they have appeal in any way aside from variation in higher value?  I have two copies of Wolverine #75 with the hologram on the cover, one appears as intended, and the other is a blue hologram error which is only a blue picture in flat 2D.  But,  my specific issue is far and away the most defective example of this hologram error I've ever come seen in person or online - faint, thin, deep blue lines can be seen on the sides if viewed at the perfect angle/lighting, but no matter how deeply or closely I look, the rest is black as night with no trace of any picture at all, 2D or otherwise.  This interest in rare "recalled" items is nostalgic for me, recalling such examples as the Star Trek: TNG Geordi LaForge action figure shipped without his Visor, and Star Wars Boba Fett action figure with the spring loaded harpoon-ish weapon that was widely recalled after a kid choked on it.  So, error issues interest me, and to a far lesser extent, 1st editions and newsstand versions serve up a bit more interest, admittedly only because of potential value.

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

One of the best things about nostalgia in the internet age (once the initial shock wears off) is finding out how many stories of nostalgia are actually urban legends... like this one.

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/collecting/articles/myths-rocket-firing-fett/

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
34 minutes ago, CleverParasite said:
14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/collecting/articles/myths-rocket-firing-fett/

(thumbsu

Thankfully, not all the nostalgia-killers are bad.  For example, never again let anyone tell you to wait 30 minutes after eating before enjoying a swim. 

http://theconversation.com/mondays-medical-myth-wait-30-minutes-after-eating-before-you-swim-10653 

43 minutes ago, CleverParasite said:

When I was a kid, we used to pass up books with multiple covers because they were considered "weird". Just goes to show you how little we knew...  (: 

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

When I was a kid, we used to pass up books with multiple covers because they were considered "weird". Just goes to show you how little we knew...  (: 

i got you one better - my father told me that when he was a child, kids played a game called "pitch" with cards and marbles or jacks, involving flicking cards  onto a cement or asphalt surface with the goal being flicking a card so that it landed upright against the jacks.  they would do this for hours until the card lost its integrity or outright disintegrated.  n He has specific memories of using cards featuring their favorite players for good luck.  these included mel ott, babe ruth, and even a  mickey mantle rookie card.  near-priceless treasures .

2 hours ago, CleverParasite said:

i got you one better - my father told me that when he was a child, kids played a game called "pitch" with cards and marbles or jacks, involving flicking cards  onto a cement or asphalt surface with the goal being flicking a card so that it landed upright against the jacks.  they would do this for hours until the card lost its integrity or outright disintegrated.  n He has specific memories of using cards featuring their favorite players for good luck.  these included mel ott, babe ruth, and even a  mickey mantle rookie card.  near-priceless treasures .

Wow! Did he also mention we used to fasten baseball cards to the wheels of our bicycles because they made a cool sound when the spokes hit them? No wonder some of those cards are so valuable...  :whatthe:

7 hours ago, CleverParasite said:

They also led to disappointment in the publishers of such multi-cover issues, because that's such a pointless and unartistic way to make a specific issue more desired and valuable.

So you don't understand that extra covers are a manufacturing error? It has nothing to do with the publishers.

3 hours ago, CleverParasite said:

Yeah, that's why they're now near-priceless treasures. If they had all been saved in perfect condition, they would be nearly worthless.

On 9/25/2017 at 8:03 PM, Derbyfan701 said:

Took me forever to find  this....was stuffed away with some older scans....but this was my beauty at one time :) we debated at the Cincy Comicon about removing the outer cover first before having it signed.....decided it stayed!

FB_IMG_1506394786679.jpg

Is Stan such a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point that he can't sign in the white area???  You guys are all (worship) when you should be :p

I am not sure the appeal of a bindery error.   Just shows the machine they were using screwed up, and somebody missed putting this in a garbage can.  So it 'made it through' the process, gives me no appeal to own a 'defective' book.  I find no extra added value, rarity or care to pay a premium.  I'd take whatever money this would sell for and put it into a Silver Age key.   I think some people stretch as hard as they can to make something collectible.   

To each his own I guess.  That is why Baskin Robins exists.