• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single best profit or loss on a comic deal?
3 3

104 posts in this topic

I lose money on nearly every modern I buy. 

My biggest realized dollar amounts have been from AF-15s. If I was solely in it for the money I would only buy and sell that 1 book. But I am a collector so I overpay for reading a floppy instead of digital. 

Biggest loss was on a modern variant that was overhyped and inflated but quickly lost steam.

Biggest percentage gain was on a rare HTF modern variant I found in a dollar bin.

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

There can only be one

tumblr_nkaz95TlqU1qbwzc4o1_1280.jpg

:roflmao:

Actually, the 90-day average (10 sales) is currently higher than either the 2015 or 2016 average.

And even if you omit the outlier high-sale, the average of the past 9 sales are equal to the 2015 average.

She's comin' back! :grin:

All that hype about whatever profit or loss on a comic deal is not meh to me. Sure, when I flip a book and get a good coin off that one ... it was not based on greed. I use that to forward build up my personal collection by buying better books. 

I once found a rare CA book in a box of cheap comics. Sold it thru eBay and used the profit to treat myself and two of my friends for three full weekend passes to a local comic con two years ago. Best time and fun with friends there! 

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

Purchased two copies of Wolverine 35 for $2.00

Both graded 9.8. Combined got over $2,000.00 for them both. Had $49.80 in grading fees. 

:whatthe::whatthe:

What's the deal with #35?? Why so high!? Were they signed by Elvis? :whatthe:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-35-CGC-9-8-Super-Rare-/282601468201?hash=item41cc5c3129:g:MM8AAOSwxxVZh-JQ  

Wolverine 35 cgc 9.8 sold, for future reference 

idk why though @jcjames

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

14 minutes ago, jcjames said:

That's crazy.

That's like 5-10X more than a #1, 8 or #10 in same grade!

Makes no sense.

It left me scratching my head too lol meanwhile a pgx 9.8 sold for $80, talk about buying power ;) 

21 hours ago, jcjames said:

That's crazy.

That's like 5-10X more than a #1, 8 or #10 in same grade!

Makes no sense.

It only does, when 3-4 collectors are going after the same book. At that time there were many tied for highest Wolverine Set since they all had issue 35 in 9.6. A 9.8 copy made you king of the hill for even a brief period of time. And for some, owning the first 9.8 that comes to market is a big deal. In my line of work, producing the first 9.8 or highest census copy is a feather in your cap.