• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

detached centerfold

5 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dcmannn said:

I have a Timely which otherwise I put at a 5.0, but has a detached centerfold, how does that affect the grade?

Curious on this one too...I just bought my first book ever that has a detached centerfold, planning to submit it eventually...probably a 4.0 without the centerfold issue.

There is no rule book that we can look these scenarios up and advise you. The only answer anyone can give you is from personal experience. I've seen CGC note detached centerfold on the label for, what would have been, a higher grade book . I think they do that because it's not obvious. I remember getting a 6.0, on what would have been an 8.5 book. I don't think they note it on mid to lower grade books. This is the reason you will see a really nice looking 5.0 and wonder 'What the?'.  Perhaps it was a detached centerfold. I've never seen a Green Label for a detached centerfold but perhaps you can get one on request. I suspect, in a mid grade, it will knock a 6.0 to a 5.0, 5.0 to a 4.0 type of range but that's just a guess. Unless the book is very low grade, the book will take a solid grade hit.

9 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

There is no rule book that we can look these scenarios up and advise you. The only answer anyone can give you is from personal experience. I've seen CGC note detached centerfold on the label for, what would have been, a higher grade book . I think they do that because it's not obvious. I remember getting a 6.0, on what would have been an 8.5 book. I don't think they note it on mid to lower grade books. This is the reason you will see a really nice looking 5.0 and wonder 'What the?'.  Perhaps it was a detached centerfold. I've never seen a Green Label for a detached centerfold but perhaps you can get one on request. I suspect, in a mid grade, it will knock a 6.0 to a 5.0, 5.0 to a 4.0 type of range but that's just a guess. Unless the book is very low grade, the book will take a solid grade hit.

I'm assuming cgc has never given an official statement on something like this as they generally seem to want to keep their grading criteria secret.

my interest was if anyone has any inclination based on expierince if it's something more like... book with detached cf caps at 6.5...or if it seems more like a straight 0.5 or 1.0 deduction... my assumption was basically what I think you're saying anyway...it's probably a mix of both and a higher range book just takes a bigger hit for the flaw.

or maybe cgc has answered this question before? Still curious if there's other opinions.  The books I like tend to be rare and I'm finding this is a flaw I may need to tolerate more to get what I want, so I want to better understand the grade impact from it.