• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get seduced... Seduction of the Innocent, including the rarest one
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Over the years, I've sold a number of copies of Seduction of the Innocent to boardies.  Since it's the primary focus of my collecting, I usually try to keep a copy or two on hand.  

Just before my eclipse-viewing vacation, I sold a couple lower-grade copies.  Right now, though, I have FOUR copies available, various editions and states, including the rare first print, with dust jacket and bibliography.  Perhaps there will be one that fits your budget and collecting taste.

The usual rules.  No HOS, no probates or reprobates.  

Fully insured US shipping is included in the prices listed.  If you're outside the US, shipping will be at exact cost.  HOWEVER, I only ship expensive items like this fully insured, and fully insured international shipping can be expensive.

PM's are welcome, but "take it" in thread trumps all.  

Any and all questions regarding these books, or SOTI in general, are welcome and encouraged.

Since there's plenty of inaccurate information about SOTI floating around (Overstreet's listing has been wrong for years), here's a quick recap of the early US editions that exist.

1) First edition, first print, first state.  This book came out in April, 1954 and was issued with a dust jacket.  When printed, it had a bibliography leaf (pages 399-400).  However, the book's publisher feared lawsuits from comic book publishers, and ordered the bibliography removed from all copies of the book not yet sold.  First prints have an "R" colophon on the publication page.
2) First edition, first print, second state.  This is the same as the one above, except the bibliography leaf has been removed.  Most first prints are second state.
3) First edition, second print.  This book came out somewhere between April and July, 1954, and was issued with a dust jacket.  I have owned dozens of copies of SOTI over the years, and have seen many more.  I have never seen a second print that had the bibliography page intact, and do not believe that such a thing exists.  Second prints do not have the "R" colophon on the publication page.

All three of these versions have a black spine and grey boards.  Sometimes you may see a first or second US printing with a different binding; this is because sometimes libraries would re-bind the book.  Beware of buying a re-bound book.  They are out there, and if you search the Heritage sales you can see that they can even sell for prices similar to copies in their original bindings.  However, I personally feel that a re-bound book is no better condition-wise than a comic book that has had its cover removed and had a completely different cover glued on.  

Ok, lecture over, and on with the show... 

Edited by SOTIcollector

I'll start with the least expensive one, and work my way up.  This is a second printing, without dust jacket.  This one has a really cool provenance.  It used to be owned by the British House of Commons.  It also has a date stamp inside the cover, showing that it dates to July, 1954.  

All typical pages present, including all 8 leaves (16 pages) of illustrations.   Although the bibliography is not present (because it was removed by the publisher), I have added a tipped-in photocopy of the bibliography for your convenience.  This copy has a bookplate inside the FC indicating that it's from the House of Commons, plus multiple embossings from the House of Commons and other typical library markings.  Bumped corners.  Small amount of soiling, back cover.  Interior pages mostly unmarked, but there are a few markings in the text or margins similar to the ones pictured.  

I find it comical that the House of Commons seemed to categorize this as a children's book, given that the book describes in great detail hundreds of things that its author feels are inappropriate for children... Perhaps the "children" indication on the sticker means the book is about children?

$175

IMG_7115.JPG

IMG_7116.JPG

IMG_7117.JPG

IMG_7124.JPG

IMG_7127.JPG

IMG_7129.JPG

IMG_7130.JPG

IMG_7131.JPG

IMG_7132.JPG

IMG_7134.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7137.JPG

IMG_7138.JPG

IMG_7139.JPG

IMG_7141.JPG

IMG_7142.JPG

Next up, first print, second state.  This book has no dust jacket.  Second state means no bibliography, either, but I have included a tipped-in photocopy of the bibliography.

Minor pencil marks inside FC.  Small amount of interior pencil has been neatly erased; otherwise unmarked.  All typical pages present, including 16 illustration pages.  $175 

IMG_7094.JPG

IMG_7096.JPG

IMG_7097.JPG

IMG_7098.JPG

IMG_7099.JPG

IMG_7100.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

IMG_7103.JPG

IMG_7106.JPG

IMG_7108.JPG

IMG_7110.JPG

Here's the third one.
First print, second state, with dust jacket.
The book is clean and unmarked.  All typical pages are present including 16 pages of illustrations.  The bibliography was removed by the publisher, so I have tipped in a photocopy of the bibliography.  The dust jacket is in rough condition, with a split at the spine.  $299

IMG_7066.JPG

IMG_7068.JPG

IMG_7070.JPG

IMG_7072.JPG

IMG_7074.JPG

IMG_7075.JPG

IMG_7077.JPG

IMG_7078.JPG

IMG_7080.JPG

IMG_7082.JPG

IMG_7085.JPG

IMG_7089.JPG

Capping the thread off with that elusive one.  First print, first state, meaning it has the bibliography.  If you've been waiting for one of these, here's  your chance.

This book is very tight and clean.  Unmarked except for one stamp from a book rental service on inside FC and another on front free end paper.  Small amount of tape residue FC and BC.  All pages are present, including 16 pages of illustrations as well as the bibliography leaf that was excised from most copies of the book before distribution.    The dust jacket is price clipped; spine partially faded; minor paper loss, which was repaired with tape, at head of spine. 

I'll ship this book with reproduction dust jacket.  The book displays very well by itself, but the red lettering on the cover and spine are known to fade easily.  With a repro dust jacket, you can display the book or put it on your shelf without having to worry about additional fading..

Make this the jewel of you SOTI or pre-code collection for $695.

IMG_7049.JPG

IMG_7051.JPG

IMG_7052.JPG

IMG_7055.JPG

IMG_7056.JPG

IMG_7057.JPG

IMG_7058.JPG

IMG_7059.JPG

IMG_7060.JPG

IMG_7062.JPG

IMG_7063.JPG

IMG_7054.JPG

1 hour ago, pastandpresentcomics said:

Was the dust jacket the same for all three versions?

That is a good question. The  Second print dust jacket reads "SECOND PRINTING" on the  front flap, at the top left.  This text is not present on the dust jacket for the first printing.  So if the book is a first printing first state (with bibliography), or a first printing second state  (no bibliography),  it was issued with the first print dust jacket.   

The more direct answer to your question, is that there are two different a dust jacket between the three US versions that I noted. 

For an illustrated guide to editions, see the SOTI site that I curate.

http://www.lostsoti.org/SeductionOfTheInnocent.htm

2 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

That is a good question. The  Second print dust jacket reads "SECOND PRINTING" on the  front flap, at the top left.  This text is not present on the dust jacket for the first printing.  So if the book is a first printing first state (with bibliography), or a first printing second state  (no bibliography),  it was issued with the first print dust jacket.   

The more direct answer to your question, is that there are two different a dust jacket between the three US versions that I noted. 

For an illustrated guide to editions, see the SOTI site that I curate.

http://www.lostsoti.org/SeductionOfTheInnocent.htm

You should check out his website regardless, it's an invaluable tool to anyone collecting SOTI comics.  Steve does a real service to the comic book community running it.

8 hours ago, snitzer said:

Anymore SOTI-related items upcoming?

Thanks for the interest.  This is all I had planned for this thread.  I do have some copies of Love & Death, but I sold my only spare Parade of Pleasure at Brass City Comic Con.  If there's something in particular you're looking for, just let me know.

And while I'm at it, I suppose I should mention that I'm always open to trades.  My wants are pretty much:  anything related to SOTI and the 1940's-1954 comics censorship efforts.  If I don't already have it, I probably want it.  I have SOTI and all known comics that were referenced in it, but there's a lot I don't have.  I'm also happy to upgrade my existing SOTI comics to better slabbed copies.  So if you'd like one of these books and you have something you think I might be willing to trade for, let's talk.

20 minutes ago, SOTIcollector said:

Thanks for the interest.  This is all I had planned for this thread.  I do have some copies of Love & Death, but I sold my only spare Parade of Pleasure at Brass City Comic Con.  If there's something in particular you're looking for, just let me know.

And while I'm at it, I suppose I should mention that I'm always open to trades.  My wants are pretty much:  anything related to SOTI and the 1940's-1954 comics censorship efforts.  If I don't already have it, I probably want it.  I have SOTI and all known comics that were referenced in it, but there's a lot I don't have.  I'm also happy to upgrade my existing SOTI comics to better slabbed copies.  So if you'd like one of these books and you have something you think I might be willing to trade for, let's talk.

I've got SOTI and POP. LMK on the Love & Death :)

One more to add to the thread.  Then it's off to elsewhere.

Love & Death, by Gershon Legman.  1963 edition (second printing).  

Although this book originally predated SOTI by five years, it never had the impact that SOTI had.  It's still interesting to read its claims about the dangers of comic books.

This book has some wear and soiling on the covers, as evident in the photos.  Crease lower right FC; tape pull BC.  Pencil marking page 1, otherwise unmarked.  $25 shipped in the US; contact me for shipping elsewhere.

IMG_7579.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

IMG_7581.JPG

IMG_7582.JPG