• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does everyone feel about ss on older comics
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Just wondering what everyones opinions are on buying signed silver age books. Reason i ask is im about to buy hulk 2 i could by a copy signed by stan lee or i could buy a clean 4.0 the price really isnt much different. I just dont like where the signature is on the signed copy. Stans great but i also like a clean cover. Whats everyone opinions?

Writing (or sigs) on the cover is defacement and a detraction, imo. 

But I guess sigs by the cover artist are not as obnoxious as I used to find them.

And I actually found a book in a box from the 70s or possibly early 80s with this one, so I can appreciate what some people must like about them.  Stan's the man, after all.

DBwQC8h.jpg

10 hours ago, Spyderfan said:

Clean covers only for this guy.  However, I do LOVE a nice signature/and or date on the splash page or first page.  :luhv:

....this is me as well...... although a few exceptions, mainly creators who have cool sigs, like Steranko, Adams, and Totelben ....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

22 hours ago, grebal said:

Writing (or sigs) on the cover is defacement and a detraction, imo. 

But I guess sigs by the cover artist are not as obnoxious as I used to find them.

And I actually found a book in a box from the 70s or possibly early 80s with this one, so I can appreciate what some people must like about them.  Stan's the man, after all.

DBwQC8h.jpg

That is perfect placement. (thumbsu

yea i tend to agree stan is the man but if anyone else writes on a cover its a huge down grade i have books signed but i feel like my hulk 2 wont be signed appreciate all the feedback i joined this forum to learn more and bounce ideas off people so thank you all

I love sigs. (Though good placement is important to me, not so much the style of the sig).

And I love them Especially on older books, for which I really appreciate the greats so much more than more modern artists.  To me the art and story Creators are so important that I really value having their sigs on the comics. 

That said, I actually would never get a sig on a particularly high grade book or a pedigree (that would be abominable).  For lower grade or mid grade books, I love the sigs, and especially on keys, because to me that means that the creator has imparted a particularly personal part of themselves to this particular book (however fleeting the manner of doing so might be), so the book now carries a personalized part of the creator with it.

With the literally tens to even hundreds of thousands of extant copies of most Silver Age books (Batman, for example, averaged nearly 900k copies SOLD...not printed, SOLD...for 1966, and a good chunk of those books still exist), it's a guarantee that perhaps 90-99% of all copies will NOT be signed and NEVER signed. I think that leaves plenty of options for those who don't like sigs. Not only was the SA a boom in the new comics market, it also saw the dawn of a successful organized comics fandom (after a few earlier fits and starts that didn't take) with hoarding of many books beginning in earnest around 1965. Virtually none of these books is rare, scarce, or even difficult to find, except in very high grade. SA books, in general, are about as common in average grades as 80's books are in high grade.

So, if you like sigs, get one...there will be a time when there won't be any more new ones. If you don't...there are plenty of options out there.

I've seen some that look good, but I wouldn't get a book signed on the cover except maybe for an inexpensive issue with sentimental value or if all the creative team was there. I saw in the census for an issue I just bought that there's a new highest grade, the only copy above 8.5, and it's signed. I hope they did it out of love for the book because the idea of it makes me cringe.

Edited by Greenlake