• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does everyone feel about ss on older comics
2 2

48 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, jharvey said:

Personally, I consider a signature on the cover of a high grade silver age comic book to be a complete travesty. I think it permanently ruins the comic, taking it from high grade to mid/low grade, no different than if a child had taken a Sharpie and scribbled all over the cover.

The creator (story or art) of the book is not a child.  And their signature is not a child's scribble.

On 9/10/2017 at 3:34 PM, TomDehnert said:

Just wondering what everyones opinions are on buying signed silver age books. Reason i ask is im about to buy hulk 2 i could by a copy signed by stan lee or i could buy a clean 4.0 the price really isnt much different. I just dont like where the signature is on the signed copy. Stans great but i also like a clean cover. Whats everyone opinions?

I would not buy a signed book of any kind. I respect those who enjoy it but it's not for me.

Cover sigs and splash page sigs have been addressed here, but what about case sigs? I once bought a TMNT #1 second print that was littered with signatures & sketches on the case, and it didn't bother me in the slightest because the book itself was untouched. Interesting alternative, although unverifiable....

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Cover sigs and splash page sigs have been addressed here, but what about case sigs? I once bought a TMNT #1 second print that was littered with signatures & sketches on the case, and it didn't bother me in the slightest because the book itself was untouched. Interesting alternative, although unverifiable....

I've had a case signed before.  The creators thought it was a bit odd.  I prefer it to sharpie on my HG book. 

If I were CGC, I would introduce the concept of a signed label ... basically, under the supervision of a CGC rep you would purchase a blank label for your book, get it signed, and submit it with the book.  Then when your book is graded, CGC would find a way to print the grade and other info on the label, leaving you with a nice keepsake without marring the book itself.

10 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

In this day and age, haven't autographs been pushed aside by the general public in favor of selfies?  I don't care for either one, but if you must brag that you met someone, I prefer the one that doesn't ruin a comic.

Do comic writer/artists charge for selfies with fans?

the last big show I went to (Stan lee comikezze (2016) or whatever it's called) was filled asle to asle with what appeared to be professional cos player type people with their own tables charging for autograph/photos. Swarms of people around them ??

I think it 'jumped' over from sports memorabilia where it may be almost universally viewed as a plus (just guessing, don't know for sure).

Combine that with people buying comic books who were never collectors/readers (or closest they got was color Sunday funny pages),  and the general propensity for American non-commies to want to make a bit of profit (for investment or speculation or on a chance to make an extra buck), and then maybe pour a bit of cgc kerosene on the fire . . .