• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth MacFarlane's "The Orville"
2 2

101 posts in this topic

Saw “New Dimensions “

really liking it. At least they showed an episode why/how Gordon became Chief Engineer, not unlike TNG where on season two, Geordi all of a sudden became Chief without any explanation 

On 11/13/2017 at 2:59 PM, nearmint said:

Funny episode this week.  Rob Lowe was a good choice for the blue-skinned alien. 

I sometimes think of it as a continuation of Star Trek .

On 12/9/2017 at 7:17 AM, combiner1 said:

Saw “New Dimensions “

really liking it. At least they showed an episode why/how Gordon became Chief Engineer, not unlike TNG where on season two, Geordi all of a sudden became Chief without any explanation 

Lt. John Lamarr was named the new Chief Engineer, Gordon is still on the bridge. 

The only think I don't like is that its literally redoing episodes of Star Trek, the entire plot /story/character interactions. The one with the planet stuck in time viewing the ship/it's crew as gods do to an accidental contact...that is literally directly stolen from an episode of Voyager. Even the part about sending the Artificial life-form down for 100+ years to figure out how to communicate with "out of temporal sync" planet only to have him returned by 2 members of that race when the planets tech development is enough to handle space flight. That goes beyond homage, that's directly ripping off every single character/line/plot/device from a specific episode. I wish they could be more creative at times, but overall i'm intrigued. 

On 12/9/2017 at 8:40 AM, Bosco685 said:
On 12/9/2017 at 8:07 AM, Ares said:

I sometimes think of it as a continuation of Star Trek .

Exactly!

What a genius play on an older show.

So this thread made me check it out.  This is precisely how I feel.  What made the original Star Trek interesting was it was a social mirror of its time.  It will indirectly addressed issues like sexism, racism, the Vietnam war, etc.  It’s something that was mostly missing from the later Star Trek shows.  The Orville has that though.  Addressing fundamentalism, social media, gender identity, etc.  If MacFarlane hadn’t felt the need to add in his usual juvenile humor I think it could be a great successor of the Star Trek ethos.

Edited by thunsicker

any sci-fi fans out there that haven't seen this show recently need to start watching now. what a haymaker landed in the latest episode. Better than some of the best of Star Trek!! (thumbsu

Edited by fett

5 hours ago, fett said:

any sci-fi fans out there that haven't seen this show recently need to start watching now. what a haymaker landed in the latest episode. Better than some of the best of Star Trek!! (thumbsu

Yep, last night's episode was dark as hell, but really good.  Can't wait to see Part 2 next week. 

On 3/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, nearmint said:

No posts about part two?  It was awesome.  Probably the most epic space battle in Star Trek history. 

I have been a big fan of the show from the beginning. It started right around the time of Discovery and I actually liked Orville more precisely because of the complex mirror of current social, philosophical issues PLUS the ability to tell those stories along side actual fascinating concepts in science. it totally recaptured the essence that made TNG great. Discovery got way better after the first few episodes but felt it was it's own thing.

I was worried Orville wouldn't get a 2nd season or that they would drastically change it somehow but the writing got even better, they weren't afraid to be serious and get deep into certain issues, and the sci-fi stuff was well balanced along with the humor. some of the humor seemed like it was shoehorned in but most of it works. I'm looking forward to more.

and yes, that large scale space battle with the kaylon (cylon, knew where that was going way back in season 1) was epic.

Edited by justafan