• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth MacFarlane's "The Orville"
2 2

101 posts in this topic

The critics absolutely hammered this show.  It's currently at 11% on RT and 34% on Metacritic.

I'll probably get equally hammered for this, but I liked it.  McFarlane's love for Star Trek is evident throughout the pilot episode, the special effects are "Star Trek level", and the humor, which sometimes hits and sometimes doesn't, never insults Star Trek or its fans.  It's not really a Star Trek spoof, it's a Star Trek series that's light and funny, but still tells a solid sc-fi one-and-done story.  I thought the banter of the bridge crew was really funny, and illustrated something that Star Trek has never addressed, when they plot a course for Talus IV and the journey will take 19 hours, what does the bridge crew talk about during all that dead time?

So maybe I'm the solo fan of The Orville, but I hope there are many adventures to come!

Hey, I liked it as well.  Some of the scenes looked like they were modeled straight from the pilot episode of TNG or Trek the motion picture.  I'm actually glad it didn't have as much raucous or crud comedy as I expected from Seth...seemed more like a genuine homage to ST. 

Right on nearmint...couldn't have put it better!

Edited by Mystafo

Personally,  I was really looking forward to it.  I loved Star Trek, Galaxy Quest and another Sci-Fi comedy, Red Dwarf.  I thought the first episode was "ok".  I tend to think that it needs to get better (and I will continue to watch) over the next few episodes.  For me, it seems a little stuck between sci-fi and comedy and it should lean more towards comedy.  That being said, many new series can take a while to find their footing - whether FOX and the ratings give the show that chance, only time will tell.

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎18 at 10:43 AM, nearmint said:

I enjoyed the 2nd episode at least as much as the first, maybe more. 

+ 1. I liked all the spoofs and tropes referring to the 60s Star Trek tv, and ST:NG series. Let the series and characters develop in a few more episodes. Anyone else think the back end of the Orville starship is a Seth :cry: tribute to an open toilet lid?

Watched the first two episodes ... and still haven't decided if I like I yet.  lol

Part of the reason is that FOX did such a horrible job in marketing it, that I've still not yet acclimiated to the fact that this isn't the wacky "Seth McFarland Star Trek Comedy Spoof" they were pitching for months... but as others have said it's really a pretty sweet (as in genuine) Star Trek homage by a real fan.   Now, the question is... do we need such a thing? Like I said, I've watched the first two... enjoyed aspects of them... and feel they were well done for what they ARE.

I guess the real test will be in the next few weeks when other shows return.  This is certainly "watchable" but when presented with other options, I'm not sure I'll continue to choose it over other things.

I've also enjoyed both episodes so far. I've always a big Family Guy fan (as well as enjoying Star Trek, though not a hardcore fan). I saw Seth on a few talk shows leading up to the premiere, and he was describing it as a "legit sci-fi show, that's funny" - similar to how Guardians of the Galaxy takes its "sci-fi-ness" seriously, but is also funny, he said it's like GotG but for TV.

I think that's been a good description of the first 2 episodes so far - slightly cheesy/corny humor, some jokes that hit and some that miss, but also "reasonably legit" sci-fi.

+1 to the OP that I'm a fan of the bridge banter.

9 hours ago, fmaz said:

Watched the first two episodes ... and still haven't decided if I like I yet.  lol

Part of the reason is that FOX did such a horrible job in marketing it, that I've still not yet acclimiated to the fact that this isn't the wacky "Seth McFarland Star Trek Comedy Spoof" they were pitching for months... but as others have said it's really a pretty sweet (as in genuine) Star Trek homage by a real fan.   Now, the question is... do we need such a thing? Like I said, I've watched the first two... enjoyed aspects of them... and feel they were well done for what they ARE.

I guess the real test will be in the next few weeks when other shows return.  This is certainly "watchable" but when presented with other options, I'm not sure I'll continue to choose it over other things.

This was my overall reaction.  I find the show mildly watchable, but ultimately pointless.  And Seth McFarlane is a little too smarmy and unctious to be the lead of a TV show.  I might have enjoyed it a little more if he wasn't in it, and it didn't feel like a token vanity piece that Fox is bankrolling for him.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

6 minutes ago, nearmint said:

New episode tonight on its new regular night.

Yah I noticed that - saw a commercial for it that it was moving to Thurs nights going forward. Don't know if that was always the plan or not, but I prefer it on Thurs nights so it doesn't conflict with Sunday Night Football :p I usually DVR my shows anyway and watch it later that night or over the weekend.

3 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Yah I noticed that - saw a commercial for it that it was moving to Thurs nights going forward. Don't know if that was always the plan or not, but I prefer it on Thurs nights so it doesn't conflict with Sunday Night Football :p I usually DVR my shows anyway and watch it later that night or over the weekend.

I prefer Thursday, as well.  I always seem to have plenty to watch Sunday nights.  The pairing of Gotham and The Orville on Thursday will be something to look forward to each week.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:51 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

So what did everyone think?  I thought this last episode was brilliant...like a classic episode of Trek.  Better performance by Seth as well as I view him to be the weak link in the show so far.

I liked it a lot.  Certainly more fun to watch than CBS's new Trek.

22 hours ago, Bill C said:

I went in expecting the show to be well done. I also went in telling myself I would like it.

Watched the first two episodes. It fell flat. It's just not good. I wish it was, I would love something like this (well done).

The leading woman was Wonder Woman in the TV pilot from a few years ago- knew I knew her from somewhere. She's pretty.

They missed an opportunity in the 2nd episode.  They had 2 people from a failed marriage in prison together, an opportunity for some real soul searching and conflict, and they didn't take advantage of it.

Give the 3rd episode a shot.  It tackles a social issue in a very Star Treky way.

Edited by nearmint

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:14 PM, Bill C said:

I went in expecting the show to be well done. I also went in telling myself I would like it.

Watched the first two episodes. It fell flat. It's just not good. I wish it was, I would love something like this (well done).

The leading woman was Wonder Woman in the TV pilot from a few years ago- knew I knew her from somewhere. She's pretty.

You may also know her as Bobbi Morse in 31 eps of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Put me down as a fan. Really am enjoying it. Loose enough to be fun but accurate enough to be in the ST world.