• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth MacFarlane's "The Orville"
2 2

101 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2017 at 11:03 AM, nearmint said:

The critics absolutely hammered this show.  It's currently at 11% on RT and 34% on Metacritic.

Just went to RT - 20% on the Tomatometer but 89% Average Audience Score liked it.

Metacritic has an unfavorable 36% on their reviews but a very favorable 8.0 User Score.

Which goes to show that Just Plain Folk are much more intelligent, perceptive and discerning than So Called Critics. 

Just watched Episode 4. It really brought back TOS. SO enjoyable.

23 hours ago, ThatPovGuy said:

Just went to RT - 20% on the Tomatometer but 89% Average Audience Score liked it.

Metacritic has an unfavorable 36% on their reviews but a very favorable 8.0 User Score.

Which goes to show that Just Plain Folk are much more intelligent, perceptive and discerning than So Called Critics. 

Just watched Episode 4. It really brought back TOS. SO enjoyable.

Have to agree. A fun show that brings comedy and adventure. Heck, even Liam Neeson too. 

On 9/29/2017 at 5:54 PM, ThatPovGuy said:

You may also know her as Bobbi Morse in 31 eps of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Put me down as a fan. Really am enjoying it. Loose enough to be fun but accurate enough to be in the ST world.  

Adrianne Palicki (and her brother Eric) also wrote a 4-issue comic called "No Angel" published by Black Mask. It wasn't bad, I actually had my LCS back-order it for me a few months ago (2nd print on #1, but 1st printings all still available for #2-#4) to read it. Don't think it sold that well, but was decent enough.

http://ew.com/article/2016/09/08/adrianne-palickis-new-comic-no-angel/

On 9/30/2017 at 6:37 PM, nearmint said:

Does anyone else think that the actor who voices Isaac, the robot on the bridge, sounds an awful lot like Brent Spiner?

I totally thought it was him?!!! Just checked and it's not but Wow the similarities are striking!! 

BTW i really dig this show. 

My wife and I have continued to watch.  I don't know what will happen next week when there's another wave of returning shows back on the docket...

The thing is, if this show fails it will be largely a failure of horrible pre-show marketing and expectation setting.  So many reviews, I beileve, were negative beause the reviewers, as did many fans, approached this initially expecting a Seth McFarland Star Trek-comedy, and that isn't even close to what this is.  It's taken us now four episodes to realize we're watching a version of The Next Generation, if that was written with pop culture references that will proably make it not age nearly as well as a Star Trek series does... but brings a different bit of humor to it.

But many people can't get past what they thought it was supposed to be, what they were explicited told it WAS GOING to be... and that's no one's fault but the marketing folks.  Maybe if the show somehow lasts into a second season it would get through all that, but unless ratings are strong I imagine it's expensive so I'd bet that's a long shot.

If it does die, I predict it is the kind of show that people will rediscover in a few years and say "hey, this was pretty good."

I also wonder if the new Star Trek Discovery show on Space is hurting / cannibalizing some viewers. I'm watching both (and actually am liking Discovery quite a bit so far - which has an 86% on RT btw), but I like them both for different reasons.

16 hours ago, fmaz said:

If it does die, I predict it is the kind of show that people will rediscover in a few years and say "hey, this was pretty good."

*cough* Firefly *cough* :shy:

BTW : Love the show (specially the "where's your friends?"-answer, from the last episode)

After five episodes I've decided it's good... no, great... no, good.  "If the Stars Should Appear" reminded me very much of the Star Trek episode, "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" (occupants of a generation ship, unaware of their predicament, on a collision course with doom).  The most recent episode (with Charlize Theron) was really good... but I'm a sucker for anything with a time travel element.  (Still, I can find no reason why Pria would vanish, with the destruction of the wormhole.  It makes no sense, it raises many other questions, and I think it was done out of convenience more than anything else.)   

I think the show will catch on, especially if it continues to do such a good job balancing wit and intelligent sci-fi themes.  

Theory of the infinite time loop: the stable wormhole is blasted so Capt Pria can't travel back in time (thus 'vanishing' from current episode's timeline) to save the Orville and the 300 staff from meeting Pria, so entire Orville ship should have been destroyed by black matter: end of season 1(?).

6 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Theory of the infinite time loop: the stable wormhole is blasted so Capt Pria can't travel back in time (thus 'vanishing' from current episode's timeline) to save the Orville and the 300 staff from meeting Pria, so entire Orville ship should have been destroyed by black matter: end of season 1(?).

My point exactly.  If Pria vanished, then everything she did should also be "undone".  (R.I.P., Orville, crew, and show.)  At the very least, nobody should have any memory of her, or of those events.   

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

If Pria vanished, then everything she did should also be "undone".  (R.I.P., Orville, crew, and show.)  At the very least, nobody should have any memory of her, or of those events.   

I think I need to rewatch ending of 'Looper' on dvd for more time loop analysis .... :idea:

The show is ok, but man I agree with the ratings the RT critics are giving this. 

The show was completely advertised wrong. I expected something different. Instead we got a lame Worf character who lays an egg, then a wasted episode about a sex change in which nothing happens, and a stupid Miri like episode.

This feels like I am watching bad Original Trek episodes with a flare of bad Next Generation. Most people who like this like it for the nostalgia factor, but all agree the comedy is bad in the sense of bad humor and barely there. 

There are brief moments of greatness destroyed by sheer moments of bad writing.

Give is Spaceballs, give us Red Dwarf, give us Galaxy Quest type sci-fi and humor. This show is a 4/10.