• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing CGC SS Books?

4 posts in this topic

I have some books id like to get signed, graded, but.. Some may benefit from being pressed.. is there a 'best method' of doing this..

i.e.   Do you have the book pressed first, then signed and graded? (which seems like it would take a long time), or do you have the book signed, then pressed and graded..  does the pressing have the potential to screw up the signatures?

I also like to have sketch covers done.. so same question with those in mind.. 

Anyone had any experience with doing this either way?

I have done it both ways.  Any of the pressers can do it, if it is pre-sig. But then you run the risk of there being pressable defects put on the book while it is being signed.  Not much of a risk with the good facilitators. If you get it done post-signature, it has to be done by someone who has an SS agreement with CGC. I am not sure who can do it right now, other than CCS. 

From my experience, you have 2 options:

Option 1: If you can press and dry clean a book before the creator's signature, then that's perfect.  Get the signature and submit for grading.

Option 2: You can still press and dry clean a book even after a creator's signature.  You would just send the book to CCS, an affiliate of CGC that handles this type of work.  Afterwards, send it to CGC for grading.

As for sketches, I would only get a sketch submitted to CGC IF AND ONLY IF the book is a 9.8 candidate (in my opinion).

On 9/11/2017 at 3:42 PM, seanfingh said:

I have done it both ways.  Any of the pressers can do it, if it is pre-sig. But then you run the risk of there being pressable defects put on the book while it is being signed.  Not much of a risk with the good facilitators. If you get it done post-signature, it has to be done by someone who has an SS agreement with CGC. I am not sure who can do it right now, other than CCS. 

I believe CFP Comics have the agreement in place as well - don't know about anyone else, though.