• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA/SA High Grade and Pedigrees -- Part Deux
8 8

90 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Supernerd said:

Thank you, good sir! Helps fill the void  from all of my CConnect & CLink near misses :p 

I wouldn't mind if a few more losers showed up to fill their voids!

hm

I'm not sure that came out right...

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:00 AM, adamstrange said:

Tales of Suspense #10 White Mountain Copy:  I'm a big fan of both Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko and I'm especially pleased when they were teamed together like they were for this cover art.  It's a shame this copy is encapsulated because the gloss looks dripping wet and the pages are snow white.  I've been hunting for pre-hero Marvels for 30 years and I've not seen copies, pedigrees or otherwise, look any prettier than the White Mountains.  For earlier issues like the TOS 10, it is heads and shoulders better than anything else I've run across.

Census:  Sole highest.  CGC 9.6 white pages for $6000.

TOS10.jpg

Well said.............. and with so many White Mountains in slabs, those fresh sublime qualities that characterize them can only be spoken of..... I still remember the first time I had one raw and it was an experience I won't forget..... as close as you can get to what the books actually looked like on the stands in the early 60's. They're just beautiful. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

8 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Strange Tales #93 White Mountain:  As nice as the prior books presents, it's still a small notch down from a WM like this one.  The front cover has the appearance of near mint with all of the sparkle you'd expect but a barely perceptible ncb hairline crease/bend results in a more affordable grade.  This cgc 8.0 white is only $750.

StrangeTales93cgc.jpg

Sold via PM

On 9/13/2017 at 1:09 AM, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

Vault of Horror #38 Gaines File Copy:  Gaines copies are incredible due to the lack of handling by distributor staff as they were shipped directly from the printer to the EC Offices.  Gaines then carefully wrapped each set and placed them in storage until they were sold.  That's how a black cover like this moody Johnny Craig comic could survive in such incredible shape.  Although I bought back in the 90s, this is one of the few comics in my collection that I never read.

Census:  Tied for highest with four others.  This 9.8 with white pages is yours for $3250.

Gaines Certificate (2 of 12) will be shipped with the book.

VOH38cgc.jpg

Sold via PM.

On 9/13/2017 at 2:00 AM, adamstrange said:

Tales of Suspense #10 White Mountain Copy:  I'm a big fan of both Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko and I'm especially pleased when they were teamed together like they were for this cover art.  It's a shame this copy is encapsulated because the gloss looks dripping wet and the pages are snow white.  I've been hunting for pre-hero Marvels for 30 years and I've not seen copies, pedigrees or otherwise, look any prettier than the White Mountains.  For earlier issues like the TOS 10, it is heads and shoulders better than anything else I've run across.

Census:  Sole highest.  CGC 9.6 white pages for $6000.

TOS10.jpg

Sold via PM!

12 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Tales to Astonish 12:  This is not a pedigree copy but with an unblemished delicate light blue background and pages it sure looks like one.

Census: Sole second highest behind one in 9.4.  (It might be tied with another copy if the Census hasn't been updated yet).  CGC 9.2 white for $1800.

TTA12cgc.jpg

Sold via PM

1 hour ago, buttock said:

I'm surprised it took this long on the two PHM books.  

I am running a sales thread concurrent with two major auctions so it actually seemed pretty fast to me!

On 9/11/2017 at 9:16 PM, adamstrange said:

Teen-Age Temptations #1:  Starting off with a Baker seemed to work in July, so here's another for September.  This time it's the first issue of St John's most risque romance title.  The colors and pages are gorgeous.  CGC 9.2 for $6500.  
Census:  Sole highest graded.

:whatthe:

Teenage1.jpg

Take it per PM

18 minutes ago, toto said:

Take it per PM -- Teenage Temptations 1

Thanks! (worship)

***SOLD***

Tales to Astonish #31:  While not a WM, this is another white paged non-pedigree that looks like one.  Census:  Tied for third highest with 7 others.  CGC 8.5 white for $1000

TTA31cgc.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Journey into Mystery #60 White Mountain:  This is one of the toughest pre-hero Marvels to find in high grade.  Prior to this copy the best was 8.0.  Census:  Sole highest. CGC 9.0 for $3000.

JIM60.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Strange Tales #86 White Mountain:  Prior to seeing the WM copies, I was unimpressed by many of the prehero monster books with light backgrounds.  As the covers yellowed with age the copies looked unattractive.  This copy is a good example of where this is the only copy of this issue that has ever appealed to me.  This is a very tough issue to find in high grade and that's borne out in the census where it is the sole second highest behind two in 9.0.  This CGC 8.5 white is $1500.

ST86cgc.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Tales of Suspense #20:  This is one of my favorite Kirby covers.  I used it as an example of his skill in using a two-dimensional medium to depict a sculpture that is seemingly three dimensional.  Census:  Sole second highest behind two in 9.0.  This cgc 8.5 has no visually distracting defects (a blessing for such a dark cover) and has ow/w pages.  I'm not that excited about selling it hence it will be $2000.

TOS20cgc.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

28 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

Journey into Mystery #60 White Mountain:  This is one of the toughest pre-hero Marvels to find in high grade.  Prior to this copy the best was 8.0.  Census:  Sole highest. CGC 9.0 for $3000.

JIM60.jpg

Sold via PM

35 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Strange Tales #86 White Mountain:  Prior to seeing the WM copies, I was unimpressed by many of the prehero monster books with light backgrounds.  As the covers yellowed with age the copies looked unattractive.  This copy is a good example of where this is the only copy of this issue that has ever appealed to me.  This is a very tough issue to find in high grade and that's borne out in the census where it is the sole second highest behind two in 9.0.  This CGC 8.5 white is $1500.

ST86cgc.jpg

Take it

3 minutes ago, Mr.Illmannered said:

Take it -- TTA 31

Thanks!