• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX Reputation Rehab?
3 3

235 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, lizards2 said:
13 hours ago, kav said:

I hate PGX

do you actually buy anything from any of the grading companies? (shrug)

I'm gonna buy something so I can more properly excoriate them.

Just now, kav said:
12 hours ago, lizards2 said:
13 hours ago, kav said:

I hate PGX

do you actually buy anything from any of the grading companies? (shrug)

I'm gonna buy something so I can more properly excoriate them.

lol That's what I thought.  You appear to be in good company.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

lol That's what I thought.  You appear to be in good company.

Once I buy a PGX slab I'm really going to town on them!!  GET READY

5 minutes ago, Pontoon said:
25 minutes ago, Timmay said:

No comprendo how it's taken a bath. Asking price is way high, above what CGC slabs seem to be fetching. Maybe the OP meant a different listing?

It looks like the top edge has water damage.

5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Voldy slabs need more camo in their outer well to hide most everything.

They should just glue an image of a cgc graded book to the front of the slab.  When I went to WW Chicago looking for high grade ASM the only books I could find were in Voldy cases which I obviously passed on.  Talking with vendors, some of them said they're hard to move because of over grading.  There was a Voldy 9.4 ASM #31 for $4300 and it was MAYBE a CGC 9.0.  It was laughable. 

Just now, comicquant said:

They should just glue an image of a cgc graded book to the front of the slab.  When I went to WW Chicago looking for high grade ASM the only books I could find were in Voldy cases which I obviously passed on.  Talking with vendors, some of them said they're hard to move because of over grading.  There was a Voldy 9.4 ASM #31 for $4300 and it was MAYBE a CGC 9.0.  It was laughable. 

:whatthe:

58 minutes ago, comicquant said:

So the vendors waste money getting their books overgraded so they will sell slower.

Got it. That makes almost as much sense as someone buying books they know to be overgraded just to send them to Sarasota so they can be properly graded.

58 minutes ago, comicquant said:

So the vendors waste money getting their books overgraded so they will sell slower.

Got it. That makes almost as much sense as someone buying books they know to be overgraded just to send them to Sarasota so they can be properly graded.

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Whether it makes sense to you or not is irrelevant...  This is what they say; many of them.  Not only are they slow to move, but when they do sell many times its not for what same grade CGC book gets.  Ask some of the dealers in this forum.  Which books move faster, Voldy or CGC?  Ask dealers in the Voldy forum.  Pretty sure its no secret.

The Voldy slabs I bought were purchased within the first two months I came back to collecting after stopping in the 90's.  Once I began focusing on an ASM run I sent in the Voldy spideys to CGC and they all came back less than they went in.  

Thanks for playing  

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

The fact that we can plaster PGX's name all over these boards and cannot do the same with Voldi IS proof that they are not on the same level

Yes, I have often wondered why this is so. The new Boards are automated to catch any reference to the real Voldi name and it will not be posted. I can understand not allowing pics of their slabs but to simply state their name, puzzling.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Whether it makes sense to you or not is irrelevant...  This is what they say; many of them.  Not only are they slow to move, but when they do sell many times its not for what same grade CGC book gets.  Ask some of the dealers in this forum.  Which books move faster, Voldy or CGC?  Ask dealers in the Voldy forum.  Pretty sure its no secret.

The Voldy slabs I bought were purchased within the first two months I came back to collecting after stopping in the 90's.  Once I began focusing on an ASM run I sent in the Voldy spideys to CGC and they all came back less than they went in.  

Thanks for playing  

I've heard you can expect 10-15% lower prices from a Voldy slab.  I have no facts to present...that's just what I've heard from some dealers.  That was about a year ago, so I don't know if much has changed.  I will say I sent 2 CGC graded early Hulk's to Voldy to be regraded and my grades came back lower (1/2 point and 1 full point lower on the two books I sent in).  For a mid-grade book, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Voldy slab.  If I were purchasing a high grade (9.0+), I would go with CGC.  Just a personal preference at this point in time.  I would never go with PGX.

Edited by grube09