• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX Reputation Rehab?
3 3

235 posts in this topic

I have seen a couple first hand examples just in my lifetime of a family business that was destroyed because one of the sons thought he could go off on his own and steal customers from his dad... one was was a family run electrical company , handed down a generation from grandpa and in business for many years ..... the wayward son took knowledge and contacts learned from dad and left to form his own electrical company and tried to steal dads customers ... it destroyed the whole family..  they will not talk to each other to this day and left both companies worse off

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

I have seen a couple first hand examples just in my lifetime of a family business that was destroyed because one of the sons thought he could go off on his own and steal customers from his dad... one was was a family run electrical company , handed down a generation from grandpa and in business for many years ..... the wayward son took knowledge and contacts learned from dad and left to form his own electrical company and tried to steal dads customers ... it destroyed the whole family..  they will not talk to each other to this day and left both companies worse off

I don't think that situation happened here ? In all honesty, I think the hobby is better off with competition.

Is there a register for pgx? How many 10s have they given out?

I'll admit to owning a few pgx's nothing spectacular or expensive cept for maybe my GRR FF 1. Grades seem to be in line.only thing I would say is of all of that I have,none have newton rings.

15 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't think that situation happened here ? In all honesty, I think the hobby is better off with competition.

no way man, monopoly is the most efficient system, and it's always the best for us lowly consumers! :sumo:

Just now, lizards2 said:

no way man, monopoly is the most efficient system, and it's always the best for us lowly consumers! :sumo:

lyxYfoa_2cab8cc82f1256618cdd7c05e6c8cf25.gif

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

For all we know, the ownership  of both companies might be the same, or at least overlap.

Wow, now there's a thought. While I totally agree that PGX is not a real grading company and should be avoided, the other company is legitimate. I really don't understand why some here have so much contempt for the other company. It's not like it's good vs evil and you have to take sides.  

19 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Wow, now there's a thought. While I totally agree that PGX is not a real grading company and should be avoided, the other company is legitimate. I really don't understand why some here have so much contempt for the other company. It's not like it's good vs evil and you have to take sides.  

+1

Just because you like one more than the other, doesn't mean you have to dislike the other one.

9 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Seeing as this is the CGC boards I would expect some favoritism here.

Yeah no kidding ! this is the CGC chat board! the one and only comic chat board and grading company as far as many of us are concerned !! we are neither of the branch echh s out there

lets all repeat .. CGC is .....

Image result for not brand echh

Edited by 1950's war comics

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Yeah no kidding ! this is the CGC chat board! the one and only comic chat board and grading company as far as many of us are concerned !! we are neither of the branch echh s out there

lets all repeat .. CGC is .....

No argument about PGX, I understand and concur about them. CGC is obviously the bigger and better company. I can understand why you would prefer them.  But please help me understand why you are hating on Voldi so much? Did you have a specific experience or are you simply jumping on the bandwagon here.

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

No argument about PGX, I understand and concur about them. CGC is obviously the bigger and better company. I can understand why you would prefer them.  But please help me understand why you are hating on Voldi so much? Did you have a specific experience or are you simply jumping on the bandwagon here.

What few brand echh from the new start up company that i have looked at looked inferior to the same grade as CGC..  

i love CGC, i have spent about 4 minutes on the brand echh chat boards but if i were to hang out there more often i would not be bragging about how CGC is their equal ........ no i would not have the audacity to do that nor to post facepalm emoji 's

when a dealer like tomorrows treasure whom vehemently railed against CGC and then all of a sudden gets most his stock graded by brand echhh i read between the lines, he did not initially get the stated grades that he wanted from CGC so he stayed raw and hated on CGC,.....and then when a new company starts up suddenly he's all in....hmmmmmm

12 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

when a dealer like tomorrows treasure whom vehemently railed against CGC and then all of a sudden gets most his stock graded by brand echhh i read between the lines, he did not initially get the stated grades that he wanted from CGC so he stayed raw and hated on CGC,.....and then when a new company starts up suddenly he's all in....hmmmmmm

From what I've heard from reliable sources, it was due to the others company's policy on noting conservation vs. restoration.

For the record, I'm not a fan of Richie Muchin. He burned me on a Sgt. Fury 1 and Hulk 6 with undisclosed restoration -- NOT conservation.

I have one great suggestion for PGX, or really any of the SlabCos: unlabeled slabbing. I bet they'd make a fortune off that. If the price was right I bet a lot of people would submit just for the protective quality, not to mention appealing to the varying levels of OCD many collectors have. I'd like all my books slabbed but many of them are simply not worth it, but for maybe $5 each I'd submit them all. 

I suppose this opens the door to fraud, so they'd have to protect against that somehow.

Edited by Mackenzie999

4 minutes ago, Mackenzie999 said:

I have one great suggestion for PGX, or really any of the SlabCos: unlabeled slabbing. I bet they'd make a fortune off that. If the price was right I bet a lot of people would submit just for the protective quality, not to mention appealing to the varying levels of OCD many collectors have. I'd like all my non-readers  slabbed but many of them are simply not worth it, but for maybe $5 each I'd submit them all.

I do agree, it would be cool, but....I think the cost of the slab would prohibit a $5 each level.  I'm just guessing they would be at the $15 level to break even, probably $20 to make a nominal profit. Add the cost of shipping and the fact that the slabs are heavy and it's just not worth it.