• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX Reputation Rehab?
3 3

235 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I have said that time and time again and keep going back like a dummy. But I love your post anyway.:popcorn:

This time I'll change I swear.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

Some have posted that they submitted a PGX to CGC and it came back a higher grade.  This would seem to indicate PGX is stricter. except there are as many cases of PGX books that came back a lower grade.  The takeaway is that they cant grade.  Over, under,-wrong both ways.

This is true.  When PGX first came on the scene, there were some boardies that did that sort of comparison; have the same book graded by both companies.  In many cases, the CGC graded out higher. 

Naturally, once PGX was caught pulling (multiple) shenanigans, they were rightfully "tossed to the side".  Their integrity was compromised multiple times, in multiple scenarios.  Grading consistency was, in the grand scheme of things, a "minor" problem with them. 

2 minutes ago, woowoo said:

As long as you have :tink: we cool (thumbsu

Oh I had to take some money out of your wallet though-

1 hour ago, kav said:

Some have posted that they submitted a PGX to CGC and it came back a higher grade.  This would seem to indicate PGX is stricter. except there are as many cases of PGX books that came back a lower grade.  The takeaway is that they cant grade.  Over, under,-wrong both ways.

You're absolutely correct - CGC can't grade worth a poop.  shit-emoticon.gif

On 9/15/2017 at 3:09 AM, mosconi said:

Hate to beat this dead horse any further, but if anyone wants to see how PGX's Silver Age grading compares to CGC, here's an example of their 4.5 O.o in comparison to the only CGC 4.5 that I own (My scanner cut off the bottom portion of the ASM #3 but their are no tears or chips on the book).  

PGX asm 4.jpg

asm 3231.jpg

I'm a firm believer of buy the book not just the # at the top. In this example the ASM 3 will probably get a premium and the ASM 4 if in CGC holder will get discounted everyone see what I'm getting at...The point to my post however is not even how the companies grade whether it be strict, loose, or all over the map. My issue is that (and I strongly believe this) that P*X is a company with strong insider manipulation and that scares me. I know of a seller on ebay that i won't touch his stuff bc he uses PGX and I know he is up to all sorts of shenanigans. He bought an incomplete book from me once (I LISTED IT AS INCOMPLETE) he, "sent it into PGX" where it came back complete and he listed it for sale and quickly. I pointed this out and called him out as he didn't even mention it in the listing and I thought this blatent dishonestly was disgusting. I also had issue that he bought the book from me and within a week had it in P*X holder as complete which made me wonder if he was part of the company and putting these slabs together in his garage or something. The whole thing was off and I didn't like it one bit and have stayed as far away from that company as i can ever since. Grades are subjective I get that, Resto can be missed i get that, but counting pages is something my children can do. This was a SUPER RARE book too which I guess just added to my frustration. I personally BELIEVE this company is up to no good and there is nothing they could do at this point to make me believe otherwise. 

On 9/15/2017 at 9:18 AM, chrisco37 said:

If someone were to offer a "slabbing service only", who cares what's on the label other than the book info for identification purposes?   Or if it could be swapped out or not?  With no assigned grade the label is basically nothing more than a marketing tool.   You've bought a sturdy comic bag.  That's it. 

MyLite500

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I'm a firm believer of buy the book not just the # at the top. In this example the ASM 3 will probably get a premium and the ASM 4 if in CGC holder will get discounted everyone see what I'm getting at...The point to my post however is not even how the companies grade whether it be strict, loose, or all over the map. My issue is that (and I strongly believe this) that P*X is a company with strong insider manipulation and that scares me. I know of a seller on ebay that i won't touch his stuff bc he uses PGX and I know he is up to all sorts of shenanigans. He bought an incomplete book from me once (I LISTED IT AS INCOMPLETE) he, "sent it into PGX" where it came back complete and he listed it for sale and quickly. I pointed this out and called him out as he didn't even mention it in the listing and I thought this blatent dishonestly was disgusting. I also had issue that he bought the book from me and within a week had it in P*X holder as complete which made me wonder if he was part of the company and putting these slabs together in his garage or something. The whole thing was off and I didn't like it one bit and have stayed as far away from that company as i can ever since. Grades are subjective I get that, Resto can be missed i get that, but counting pages is something my children can do. This was a SUPER RARE book too which I guess just added to my frustration. I personally BELIEVE this company is up to no good and there is nothing they could do at this point to make me believe otherwise. 

More believable that PGX knew about it and slabbed it than that they missed it.  

9 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

".. issue is that (and I strongly believe this) that P*X is a company with strong insider manipulation and that scares me.

... I personally BELIEVE this company is up to no good and there is nothing they could do at this point to make me believe otherwise. 

Spot on. It's NOT about soft grading. 

The real issues revolve around transparency, ethics, insider manipulation (high numbers of undisclosed trimmed books from a certain Oregon seller), and incompentance that is so blatant, one would have to question if it is truly an honest mistake or fraud (e.g., multiple Lee, Ditko and Kirby signed books.)

3 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Easy solution...never buy a PGX 

I just bought a PGX in auction, inexpensive 9.2 Bronze, bargain price. I'll crack it out when I get it. PGX is still more reliable than an E-Bay raw grade. I would never submit to PGX or buy an expensive PGX book but for a book that I'll keep raw, why not ? 

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I just bought a PGX in auction, inexpensive 9.2 Bronze, bargain price. I'll crack it out when I get it. PGX is still more reliable than an E-Bay raw grade. I would never submit to PGX or buy an expensive PGX book but for a book that I'll keep raw, why not ? 

:golfclap:

Edited by woowoo

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

What about @gino2paulus2 selling a raw book with missing pages vs the PGX slabbed version as 'complete'?  More reliable to buy that slab?