• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Topps Stickers 1975 & 1976
4 4

108 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, greggy said:

I am pretty sure that there is a back cover colour variant of one of the sets, as I bought one in Charlotte a few years ago.

You mean the FF #100 or the Conan 1 was a different color than the ones shown here? That would be great. I'd love to see it if you ever come across it!

1 hour ago, batmiesta said:

I remember spending all my school money on these to complete a full set, the British versions were slightly different I think. 

topps_NEW_0003_zpsuynqvatc.jpg

Nice!

These are the same as mine - do you mean the ones you used to have were different? That would be cool, but would mean I have a lot more work to do lol

1 hour ago, wormboy said:

You mean the FF #100 or the Conan 1 was a different color than the ones shown here? That would be great. I'd love to see it if you ever come across it!

I mean that the backs had a different colour.

I think the normal colour is red or blue and the variant is a different colour.  

I checked and the colours of the FF 100 on the back is slightly different.  

One is the more bright pinkish colour and the other is less bright.

If I'm not really lazy tonight, I'll try to get a scan up

Nice!

These are the same as mine - do you mean the ones you used to have were different? That would be cool, but would mean I have a lot more work to do lol

I think the whole sticker peeled off, but the American ones were die cut....or vice versa, I can't remember which. :S

9 minutes ago, spideyfan68 said:

Thanks for starting this thread!! These and the Marvel Slurpee cups from 75 & 76  were some of my favorite childhood collecting memories. 

(thumbsu Me too!

I'll get to the Slurpee cups someday! The only thing I have so far is an original checklist, which took me some time to find in good condition. It's daunting - there are several sets.

24 minutes ago, greggy said:

scan0001.jpg

Oh yeah - this was what I was referring to in my first post - they are printed on two types of paper. This is the last thing I'm working to complete. Shooting for 4 sets of the checklists (for both sets lol): one asterisk white, one asterisk tan, two asterisk white, two asterisk tan. Just have a few left. Man are we geeks or what? Love it.

Just now, wormboy said:

Oh yeah - this was what I was referring to in my first post - they are printed on two types of paper. This is the last thing I'm working to complete. Shooting for 4 sets of the checklists (for both sets lol): one asterisk white, one asterisk tan, two asterisk white, two asterisk tan. Just have a few left. Man are we geeks or what? Love it.

Thankfully, I'm happy with what I have

The one and two asterisk versions stem from which side of the double sheet the sticker was on. They did this so that if there were quality control problems they would know which side of the sheet the problem was on. I'm familiar with a lot of these issues from my wacky packages collecting.

I thought it was cool that he had an uncut sheet too...

A random thought but what does cgc do with the comics that had trading cards in them that were uncut and attached to the spine...?

Somewhere of Spider-Man and some X-Men...

Just curious

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 hours ago, Paul_Maul said:

The one and two asterisk versions stem from which side of the double sheet the sticker was on. They did this so that if there were quality control problems they would know which side of the sheet the problem was on. I'm familiar with a lot of these issues from my wacky packages collecting.

Fantastic info, thanks Dave! This is why I love this place. So many knowledgeable people.

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I thought it was cool that he had an uncut sheet too...

A random thought but what does cgc do with the comics that had trading cards in them that were uncut and attached to the spine...?

Somewhere of Spider-Man and some X-Men...

Just curious

CGC leaves that stuff alone, and usually notes it on the label in my experience. If you want anything called out on the label you should always make a note on the sub form.

2 hours ago, Metarog said:

These are just so cool! I happen to have both complete sets and checklists but without the variants. I have them in 9-card pocket sleeves inside my Marvel Mead binder! 

That's awesome! I love the Marvel Mead stuff. That stuff needs its own thread!

Looking at the sheet, it seems like the copyright variations stem from four titles being double printed in the first four rows. Those rows contain 40 distinct images and four double prints, and I assume some or all of those are the copyright variations in each set. 

The final three rows repeat the first three.

The variations in the actual text don't appear on a single sheet, so they must be from changes made over time.

By the way, regarding asterisk variations, these only occur for every sticker when a given set had 77 cards or fewer, so that both sides of the sheet are identical. For larger sets (like the 1974 Monster Initial stickers, which had 132  distinct stickers), the titles on the left half have one asterisk and the titles on the right have two. There are some double prints that occur with both asterisk variations.

Edited by Paul_Maul

By the way, here's an example of a full double sheet. For this wacky packages sheet (which only has 30 stickers) the two sides have a different row repeated for the seventh row. Left side is * and right side is **.

image.jpeg

Edited by Paul_Maul

Whoa. So the sheet I have was part of a full double sheet like you show, one sheet with one asterisk and one sheet with two, correct? 

Is mine called a half sheet or a full sheet (obviously not a double sheet)?