• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealer Etiquette on pointing out Restoration
1 1

64 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

But you had the luxury of buying it in person which is a whole different ball game. Metro intentionally deceives and then hopes that the refund policy has lapsed so they can hide behind it and other lame excuses. Basically, we fooled you but its not our fault because we can hide behind the fine print.  Vinnie if you are reading this, take me off your mailing list please. 

100% agree. I think a lot of the old school mail order business model was to count on low return rates. I remember ordering from Robert Crestoyl (sp = very bad) in the 1980s. I had several months of orders planned out but stopped after I received my 1st order. Similar I actually called several dealers about the condition of books they had listed in CBG ads. I asked specific questions about interior cover tanning, page quality, restoration, etc. I was assured of the condition but ended up getting complete . I sent stuff back, just too pissed. Showcase New England was my absolute worst experience. 

40 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I think a lot of the old school mail order business model was to count on low return rates. 

I think that's mostly true - some dealers (like Jim Payette) were taking great care of me back in the day, it was/is such a pleasure to do business with someone who wasn't out to deceive, manipulate, and bleed you while treating you like dirt when a troublesome issue did arise (which happened almost all the time with the likes of Fishler and Anderson).

CGC has certainly helped to partially alleviate the problems, as have top-notch dealers like Bedrock City (Richard Evans), HighGradeComics (Bob Storms), and A-1 Comics (Brian Peets).

No longer dealing with the Greed Merchants has been so liberating, as a buyer I am now more confident than I have ever been.

15 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I think that's mostly true - some dealers (like Jim Payette) were taking great care of me back in the day, it was/is such a pleasure to do business with someone who wasn't out to deceive, manipulate, and bleed you while treating you like dirt when a troublesome issue did arise (which happened almost all the time with the likes of Fishler and Anderson).

CGC has certainly helped to partially alleviate the problems, as have top-notch dealers like Bedrock City (Richard Evans), HighGradeComics (Bob Storms), and A-1 Comics (Brian Peets).

No longer dealing with the Greed Merchants has been so liberating, as a buyer I am now more confident than I have ever been.

This takes me back to my first and only exposure to Fantazia Comics and Daniel Dupcak via an ad in TBG.  It only took one order but that was enough.   Ordered a few GA books which for me at the time were pretty costly being a college student.  It had to be around 1980s.  All grossly overgraded.  One had bright shiny new staples to boot.  Never could get him to call me back - go figure.....And each call to him was a costly long-distance - obviously.   A few snail letters went unanswered as well.

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

This takes me back to my first and only exposure to Fantazia Comics and Daniel Dupcak via an ad in TBG.  It only took one order but that was enough.   Ordered a few GA books which for me at the time were pretty costly being a college student.  It had to be around 1980s.  All grossly overgraded.  One had bright shiny new staples to boot.  Never could get him to call me back - go figure.....And each call to him was a costly long-distance - obviously.   A few snail letters went unanswered as well.

That doesn't surprise me at all lol

Edited by comicjack