• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic dresses that get you excited
1 1

32 posts in this topic

You know the feeling... you're flipping thru boxes at a con or your LCS and before you even see the title you see an all-too familiar comic dressing and your heart starts racing. Maybe for you it's the black and white checkerboard of late 60's DC or the big 'i' of early Image. For me it's the big yellow 'This Marvel Comic May be Worth $2500 to You' and DC's dumbbell-shaped $1.00 banner. These are the books that hit my nostalgic sweet-spot and I always pause to look at the books, regardless if I already have them or have no interest at all. Heck, I'm even starting to buy the books I used to not have interest in just because of the dressing.

background1.jpg

DC Special Series 20.jpg

What gets you excited?

Edited by Hekla

God I hated those books with all that advertising on the top.  I hate advertising in general as a rule .  The DC checkered stripe I didn't mind at all because it looks like artwork. 

7 minutes ago, Senormac said:

God I hated those books with all that advertising on the top.  I hate advertising in general as a rule .  The DC checkered stripe I didn't mind at all because it looks like artwork. 

How about those gosh awful Charlton banners,top or bottom...:p

1 hour ago, Hekla said:

Maybe for you it's the black and white checkerboard of late 60's DC

This is exactly it.

I remember this was on the first Silver Age book that I spent more than few dollars on. Detective Comics 358 - every time I see an older DC book with this dressing they always catch my eye!

12 hours ago, Senormac said:

I love the checkered DC's.  At one point I thought about collecting them all.  I no longer think about that.  But still cool.  But on the average I also don't like those things.

15 hours ago, Hekla said:

You know the feeling... you're flipping thru boxes at a con or your LCS and before you even see the title you see an all-too familiar comic dressing and your heart starts racing. Maybe for you it's the black and white checkerboard of late 60's DC or the big 'i' of early Image. For me it's the big yellow 'This Marvel Comic May be Worth $2500 to You' and DC's dumbbell-shaped $1.00 banner. These are the books that hit my nostalgic sweet-spot and I always pause to look at the books, regardless if I already have them or have no interest at all. Heck, I'm even starting to buy the books I used to not have interest in just because of the dressing.

background1.jpg

DC Special Series 20.jpg

What gets you excited?

I actually hated that period in Marvel.  It dominated the space and for me, ruined a lot of covers that might have been (arguably) iconic. 

Edited by Brian48

1 minute ago, Crimebuster said:

For me it's the 52 BIG Pages! 25 cent logo from DC comics. If the price is right I will buy any book with that logo - and the 48 pages/25 cent ones as well, but it's the 52 BIG Pages that I really love. 

Best cover design era ever for me. 

Man i loved that era!!

latest?cb=20070918195616