• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diamond account - dumb idea?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of setting up a small online comic shop and getting a Diamond account. Over the past several months I've been selling quite a bit on eBay, both older stuff from my collection/flea market finds and new "hot" comics.

I do a fair amount of flipping to support my habit, but it's often a frustrating process (not being able to source enough issues to make it worthwhile, etc...).

The basic idea here is that I'm spending a fair amount on new stock every month that gets shipped from Diamond->online/LCS retailer->me. If I cut out that middle step I can both reserve more issues of books I want and reduce my price. I already do a lot of reading/monitoring the market week to week so I could possibly tailor the site to investment/speculation comics that can be hard to find on the big sites. It seems like a win to me. 

I'm already finding myself spending $400-500 a month on books (between personal collecting and flipping) so I'm not too concerned about the monthly order threshold. 

I already have an online store set up (but not live), eventually I'd like to have user-friendly subscription management but for now the goal will be to just sell books on the website/eBay. 

Is this stupid? Are there any horror stories of people that have tried this? I searched the boards but can't find much.

Thanks!

I was under the impression from a respectable dealer that Diamond accounts were not as easy to come by anymore. For instance, out of your house type of businesses were not to be tolerated any longer and that if Diamond finds out they cancel the account. The address associated with your account should reflect your actual storefront.

I am sure however people are still doing this. In my opinion, I don't see how you can make money in the long term. You need to make decisions on those retailer variants that you can turn for larger profits which means holding on to a lot of books you won't be able to sell right away, if at all.

I wish you luck though.

10 minutes ago, romanheart said:

I was under the impression from a respectable dealer that Diamond accounts were not as easy to come by anymore. For instance, out of your house type of businesses were not to be tolerated any longer and that if Diamond finds out they cancel the account. The address associated with your account should reflect your actual storefront.

I know this is how it is with Upper Deck for sports cards.  A friend of mine, who has had a comic/card shop for over 20 years, said they made him take pics of his storefront and there were hoops he had to jump through.  

yeah.

you used to be able to get a diamond account for online but now you need a storefront.( I think. 50% sure, lol)

when I got mine, they needed pics of the storefront and inside of the store, business license/tax id, a copy of the lease agreement, and a copy of business account from your bank.

minimum purchase a month is $400 or 450, or something around there.  can't remember.

I do know some guys that had stores before but don't anymore still have a diamond account they use regularly.

could you approach your LCS that has an account and see if they are willing to let you tack on your order through their account? I'm sure it would help them out as far as meeting minimums if they are struggling. Only problem might be controlling the product as the store might mysteriously not have some of the books you ordered if they turn out to be hot sellers. So vlearly trust is important but this might be a viable option.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

could you approach your LCS that has an account and see if they are willing to let you tack on your order through their account? I'm sure it would help them out as far as meeting minimums if they are struggling. Only problem might be controlling the product as the store might mysteriously not have some of the books you ordered if they turn out to be hot sellers. So vlearly trust is important but this might be a viable option.

Potential arguments about who gets what variants, choice of best copies, returns of damages, allocations, reorders, the chance that Bordogna bails on his orders without paying... all things that would make me cringe as a retailer.

Out of curiosity I had a look at the Diamond application.

It asks for gross income, how many years in business, what you predominately sell, business license, whether you own the real estate, ....

I think they want to be sure you will be around a while. I don't think they can tolerate a situation like the boom/bust of the 90s where their clients precipitously folded by operating basement operations. That's why added conditions of storefront were likely introduced. I can see being more loose now with that restriction because actual storefront properties are under enormous retail pressure. So maybe they'll let you.

You still need to have storage space and buy around $400-450 worth of stuff to make it worth their while.

15 hours ago, shadroch said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't have minimum copies per book, as well as a minimum $$$$ amount. I don't think they would let you order one of a monthly book, for example.

my store orders 1 of a few books.  They only have one on the pull and dont stock any for the shelf. 

15 hours ago, sd2416 said:

my store orders 1 of a few books.  They only have one on the pull and dont stock any for the shelf. 

Yes but the average order needs to be more than one copy per book. When I had my shop, the minimum was one book, but the minimum average was five. Buying  a 100 copies of Xbooks usually meant you were set, average wise.

I confirmed that I was ok to apply with just a web presence via email, but Diamond never followed up with me after I sent the application and the more I thought about it I realized I didn't have the time to deal with weekly orders coming in/going out with a full time job and a baby on the way. By the letter of the "law" as long as you have a website that can take credit card payments you can have a diamond account.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:40 AM, shadroch said:

Yes but the average order needs to be more than one copy per book. When I had my shop, the minimum was one book, but the minimum average was five. Buying  a 100 copies of Xbooks usually meant you were set, average wise.

you can order 1 of something.  minimum order is $450 retail a month.

On 9/14/2017 at 7:14 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I know this is how it is with Upper Deck for sports cards.  A friend of mine, who has had a comic/card shop for over 20 years, said they made him take pics of his storefront and there were hoops he had to jump through.  

They also do it for Magic Cards.  I had to take pictures of the store, register, and where the cards are displayed.

17 hours ago, Kreton said:

Curious as to whether you learned anything else about setting up an account w/ an online presence?

https://retailer.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/28/234

https://retailer.diamondcomics.com/support/retailer_docs/newaccts/LongApp.pdf

You can absolutely be online only, but you have to have a legit website, registered business, tax number, etc.

They will review what you send them, so if you have a brand new website, with no legit business to go with it, they will likely ignore/reject you.