• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purchasing Raw vs. Slabbed at a Convention
1 1

70 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I hope some are paying attention because this is becoming a clinic and how to buy and sell books in general. Veterans here
with tons of experience are giving out advice they should charge for. 

You right :) well noted

I posted on the first page of my limited expertise. I've noticed most of what's been said, although I've never been to a con with a wad of cash, most of mine have been paid in advance to facilitators through PayPal for SS so that I can just drop off at the con. That way I have time to use the rest of my money to dumpster dive so to speak. It's always been suggested to me to spend money at a convention on merch/wares... that I could not get elsewhere, which translates to SS  for me or OA. I have yet to get a celebrity auto, but have done photo-ops because I take my brother, which aren't all that bad and are actually kind of fun depending on the celeb. Sometimes I wonder if dealers bring their best raws of minor key's, because the most I've seen are VF that at negotiable in price. Many a deal to be had though, and sometimes it depends on each individuals' circumstances.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

The most fun is with the odd dealer (I won't mention names) that goes from booth to booth looking for a specific book, asks for your best price, and then makes the rounds trying to haggle a couple of times at each table that has it. In those cases, I just pull the book and say it sold. If they ask for what price, I tell them a price lower than what they were offering me for it.

I have a good idea who the 'odd' dealer you are referring to may be ! Is it someone that doesn't have a booth, goes to all the major conventions, and is generally frowned upon by most real dealers that paid for booths ? 

29 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I have a good idea who the 'odd' dealer you are referring to may be ! Is it someone that doesn't have a booth, goes to all the major conventions, and is generally frowned upon by most real dealers that paid for booths ? 

:whistle:

43 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

No. There are a couple of other dealers that do shows here and will behave like this. They always ask for a good deal, I give them a discounted price and if they say no we are done. 

Then there are the guys that sell online and try to wheel and deal on specific books with all the dealers that have the issue(s) they are looking for. 

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Smells like Schmell to me. 

12 hours ago, scooter99 said:

Actually, I was not thinking of Schmell but it's a possibility he was the mystery dealer. I think the dealers like Schmell because he buys big books and spends a lot of money. However, there are some other 'dealers' that follow the same footsteps as Schmell that don't spend his kind of money, irritating many.  

12 hours ago, scooter99 said:
16 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Shouldn't that be Schmells like Schmell to me?

22 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Really?  Last couple of AF #15's I sold were a bit less then what the auction houses sold them for so I'm not sure where you are pulling this from.  Buyers were pretty happy.  So were the consignor's considering the amounts I got them on the books I've sold recently.  

Add that my consignment rates over 10K are lower then the auction houses and the buyers got pretty close to what those bargain auction houses got.  All with the simple me and them negotiation.  No speculation of shill bidding.  

This is the only reason why I would never purchase a significant book from anyone/anywhere other than a dealer...  I have a hard ceiling on what I'll spend at auction, regardless of who its run by (eBay, HA, CL, CC).  

The thing that all dealers have to know is a I will not a bad deal, I may pay a little extra for instant gr gratification ( but usually not), and I approach all deals willing to walk away. Plus even at cons, I have my mamaghic internet connects so prices van be very easily checked.

I do not mean this to offend any dealers.  In today's world gettgettikng accurate prices is so easy that inflating prices will be notice by many very quickly. 

I know I started this thread, and am not sure it really has answered my initial question, but it is still fun.  I plan on going to the con, money in hand, do my due diligence and take it from there.