• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Army At War Color strike issue? 86
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I can see the pics now.  Thanks.

This is not a color fade issue.  DC occasionally used a different "blue" on the same book while the printing was occurring.  Some have called it "a different cyan mix".  While some have noted that Marvel too exhibits this on a few issues, it is DC that seems to have had this occur a bit more frequently (however, still occasionally enough that I believe the more grayish covers (as opposed to the brighter blue ones) are rare, at least for many of the issue numbers in which this is seen, if not all).  As far as I'm concerned, they should actually be thought of as a "color variant".

The two best known examples of this for DC are two big keys, Action 252 and Brave and Bold 28, from 5/59 and 2-3/60 respectively.  They are the earliest and latest examples that at least I am aware of.  Other examples in between those two dates are your book OAAW 86, the color variation of which I was not aware of prior to your post (from 9/59), and All-American Men of War 74, of which I own two copies, one of each color (from 10/59).  Both the OAAW 86 and AAMOW 74 thus appear to be in the middle of what seems to be a roughly 9- to 10-month period over which this color variation is occasionally seen.  Now, my observations are certainly not scientifically iron clad, and others may have seen other issue numbers that lie even outside this 5/59 to 3/60 time range, or may disagree with calling them "color variants" as I am proposing.

For a discussion of the colors on B&B 28 and Action 252, see the following:

If the above link doesn't lead you directly to that color discussion, try the following link:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/268430-brave-amp-bold-28-speculation-on-future-pricing/?page=85&tab=comments#comment-8216820

Cheers!  

Edited by MusterMark

On 9/16/2017 at 11:30 AM, MusterMark said:

I can see the pics now.  Thanks.

This is not a color fade issue.  DC occasionally used a different "blue" on the same book while the printing was occurring.  Some have called it "a different cyan mix".  While some have noted that Marvel too exhibits this on a few issues, it is DC that seems to have had this occur a bit more frequently (however, still occasionally enough that I believe the more grayish covers (as opposed to the brighter blue ones) are rare, at least for many of the issue numbers in which this is seen, if not all).  As far as I'm concerned, they should actually be thought of as a "color variant".

The two best known examples of this for DC are two big keys, Action 252 and Brave and Bold 28, from 5/59 and 2-3/60 respectively.  They are the earliest and latest examples that at least I am aware of.  Other examples in between those two dates are your book OAAW 86, the color variation of which I was not aware of prior to your post (from 9/59), and All-American Men of War 74, of which I own two copies, one of each color (from 10/59).  Both the OAAW 86 and AAMOW 74 thus appear to be in the middle of what seems to be a roughly 9- to 10-month period over which this color variation is occasionally seen.  Now, my observations are certainly not scientifically iron clad, and others may have seen other issue numbers that lie even outside this 5/59 to 3/60 time range, or may disagree with calling them "color variants" as I am proposing.

For a discussion of the colors on B&B 28 and Action 252, see the following:

If the above link doesn't lead you directly to that color discussion, try the following link:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/268430-brave-amp-bold-28-speculation-on-future-pricing/?page=85&tab=comments#comment-8216820

Cheers!  

Very interesting and thanks for sharing. I thought it was cool without the Blue and never really noticed until I had the other one out, the gun looks more realistic even to me.