• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brittle Pages
3 3

77 posts in this topic

I would never buy a book with brittle pages. Too far gone.

There are a few exceptions, but if I were rich enough to make them realities, I would hold out for a copies with a bit more integrity.

I also pass on mold and foxing, water damage, rusty staples, pest damage, incomplete comics, etc.

But that's just me.

Page quality means a great deal to me

Prepare to cringe....here's one of my Brittle Beauties...actually its my only one, but the book cost less than slabbing it, so I didn't really care.  I have it on display at my house...no fear that any of my knowledgeable comic collecting friends would ever steal this brittle "monstrosity," and for those of my friends who know nothing about comic books they don't know any better! They just get to admire how cool it looks as I tell them more than they want to know about the history of SOTI, Matt Baker, etc.... 

cr2.jpg

Edited by szavisca

On 9/17/2017 at 8:10 PM, szavisca said:

Prepare to cringe....here's one of my Brittle Beauties...actually its my only one, but the book cost less than slabbing it, so I didn't really care.  I have it on display at my house...no fear that any of my knowledgeable comic collecting friends would ever steal this brittle "monstrosity," and for those of my friends who know nothing about comic books they don't know any better! They just get to admire how cool it looks as I tell them more than they want to know about the history of SOTI, Matt Baker, etc.... 

cr2.jpg

That's a beautiful cover!!!

Here's a brittle book i would love to upgrade but this will just have to do for now and I love er' just the same. Anyone out there seen a nice lower grade presentable copy of this book with nice pages anywhere for sale that won't break the bank too bad? If so shoot me a PM!! I won't get my hopes up to high 

Wonderworld Comics #32

40 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Yep now i get it (: JK yeah i have no idea where you're going with that I'm assuming it's a joke I just don't understand why? maybe someone dipped into the SPIRITS a little early this morning(shrug) ?

I was just saying :hi: in a funny way but it did not work doh! 

5 hours ago, woowoo said:

I was just saying :hi: in a funny way but it did not work doh! 

Well hello my friend!! I would say the fact that i had just worked a 12 hr shift at the hospital and was laying in bed winding down just catching up on the boards which i haven't frequented as much as I normally due because my little ones have been under the weather probably added to my confusion so I will chalk that up as my bad brother!! 

3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

would you attempt to erase light pencil marks on a brittle page (page designated brittle by cgc that is)

Interesting question and I would say it all depends on a case to case basis of where the fragile part of the book is. Slightly brittle for example I have found can be the smallest little piece where the rest of the book is perfectly ok and sometimes in past experiences i wasn't even sure where the brittle part was at all. Here is an example of a book that was designated as SB that I had the pencil removed just for aesthetic purposes and it turned out great imo. Purchased from a great boardie and sold to another great boardie!! here are some pics after I cracked it out the first time around to read it and the final re slabbed product. Before and after did you will...FYI book retained the exact same grade and pq designation as prior to the pencil being removed but it answers the question that YES in some circumstances pencil can safely be removed from a book that has been designated as at least slightly brittle by CGC

26377374661_e7d9f25087_b.jpg25838764094_f1731f13d8_b.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/FSBUoL

26351278082_7c520da06c_b.jpg25838770964_9989b9e62a_b.jpg25838732404_85c4ecef37_b.jpg25840733183_8070bdc273_b.jpg27553070485_21a8e84bd5_b.jpg