• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brittle Pages
3 3

77 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Interesting question and I would say it all depends on a case to case basis of where the fragile part of the book is. Slightly brittle for example I have found can be the smallest little piece where the rest of the book is perfectly ok and sometimes in past experiences i wasn't even sure where the brittle part was at all. Here is an example of a book that was designated as SB that I had the pencil removed just for aesthetic purposes and it turned out great imo. Purchased from a great boardie and sold to another great boardie!! here are some pics after I cracked it out the first time around to read it and the final re slabbed product. Before and after did you will...FYI book retained the exact same grade and pq designation as prior to the pencil being removed but it answers the question that YES in some circumstances pencil can safely be removed from a book that has been designated as at least slightly brittle by CGC

26377374661_e7d9f25087_b.jpg25838764094_f1731f13d8_b.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/FSBUoL

26351278082_7c520da06c_b.jpg25838770964_9989b9e62a_b.jpg25838732404_85c4ecef37_b.jpg25840733183_8070bdc273_b.jpg27553070485_21a8e84bd5_b.jpg

Thanks for sharing this!  Great book (content and appearance)  Pages look supple in the pics.  The area Im looking at are the right hand coreners (furthest from the spine)

3 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Well hello my friend!! I would say the fact that i had just worked a 12 hr shift at the hospital and was laying in bed winding down just catching up on the boards which i haven't frequented as much as I normally due because my little ones have been under the weather probably added to my confusion so I will chalk that up as my bad brother!! 

(thumbsu

11 hours ago, SuperBird said:

How about Tan to Off White pages? 

I have a book that's light tan to off white. Don't mind it at all. For all I know, its cream to off white if I resubmit. It's also golden age too and not a book very readily available, and when it is, it's usually out of my price range lol. I wouldn't do lt/ow if it were silver age and on as there are enough copies around. 

22 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Yep now i get it (: JK yeah i have no idea where you're going with that I'm assuming it's a joke I just don't understand why? maybe someone dipped into is never off the SPIRITS (shrug) ?

FTFY

On 9/16/2017 at 8:45 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Along the same lines as Artboy99...

Brittle pages are best avoided. But as noted above in this thread, the rarity of the book may provide a good reason to go forward with brittle, if there isn't anything else out there, and if there's no reason to crack it out. Such as Artboy's Planet Comics 5. Such as Jumbo Comics 9, with just a total of 9 copies on the CGC census, and only 7 universal/unrestored copies, the highest being the recent Berk copy at 7.5, then 7.0 (1), 6.5 (1), then mine at 3.0. It's a brittle book, and you can see the chip in the bottom left of the holder (which has been there at least since 2016, when the book was sold at HA, and given the old holder, was probably there for a good while before then). As someone else noted above, the CGC graders probably knocked down the grade for the brittle alone; otherwise this book presents with great color and looks more like a 6.0 (maybe?). Anyhow, without further ado, a case for brittle...

jum1.1584a.jpg.219794487a6fc6745cde26936d1536d1.jpg

I love that copy with its brilliant covers.  I have a feeling, though, that the lower left corner has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. hm

18 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Interesting question and I would say it all depends on a case to case basis of where the fragile part of the book is. Slightly brittle for example I have found can be the smallest little piece where the rest of the book is perfectly ok and sometimes in past experiences i wasn't even sure where the brittle part was at all. Here is an example of a book that was designated as SB that I had the pencil removed just for aesthetic purposes and it turned out great imo. Purchased from a great boardie and sold to another great boardie!! here are some pics after I cracked it out the first time around to read it and the final re slabbed product. Before and after did you will...FYI book retained the exact same grade and pq designation as prior to the pencil being removed but it answers the question that YES in some circumstances pencil can safely be removed from a book that has been designated as at least slightly brittle by CGC

26377374661_e7d9f25087_b.jpg25838764094_f1731f13d8_b.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/FSBUoL

26351278082_7c520da06c_b.jpg25838770964_9989b9e62a_b.jpg25838732404_85c4ecef37_b.jpg25840733183_8070bdc273_b.jpg27553070485_21a8e84bd5_b.jpg

Good stuff Gino, and informative! The pq actually looks pretty good. What part do you think accounts for the SB designation? Top right of cover or right edge of cover?

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I love that copy with its brilliant covers.  I have a feeling, though, that the lower left corner has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. hm

You mean like this banana peel? --> :banana:

And this grave? -->

images.jpeg.90a9d2b4e0e51da61fbd34b9202131f5.jpeg

19 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Meant with fondness. The amazing Peter Graves from the Mission Impossible television show. Sorry if this was taken the wrong way. 

Woowoo needs crib notes to understand most posts. :)

Loved the MI series when I was a kid.  Watched an episode not long ago ... and unfortunately it didn't really hold up.  Too many implausibilities and too many better-done caper shows/movies in the years since, I guess.

Fun trivia fact:  Peter Graves and James Arness of the long-running TV western Gunsmoke were brothers.

19 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Woowoo needs crib notes to understand most posts:)

Loved the MI series when I was a kid.  Watched an episode not long ago ... and unfortunately it didn't really hold up.  Too many implausibilities and too many better-done caper shows/movies in the years since, I guess.

Fun trivia fact:  Peter Graves and James Arness of the long-running TV western Gunsmoke were brothers.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT :baiting: