• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane signature suggestions
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Hello! Not sure if this is the right thread for this question o r if the signature thread would work, but here goes.

3 part question:

1) If you were given a chance to get just ONE RAW book signed regardless of condition by McFarlane, which would it be?

2) If money was not an issue?

3) And lastly, if you were on a strict budget? 

I'm aware that it's all about personal preference. Figured a poll would help with ideas from those more experienced. Any suggestions?

I would argue venom is more attractive than spawn due to it being spiderman, close to the beginning of marvel career, and etc 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Silly autocorrect

I have questions in return.

1. Do you already own some McFarlane books to consider being signed?

2. Is it for sentimental reasons to have the book signed? Or is it for resale later?

3. Are you wanting the signed book to be graded and get the yellow signature series?

Me?  Believe it or not... 

by the cover? 

Spider-man 1 - Green cover

Amazing Spider-man 301 

Amazing Spider-man 312 - Spider-man and Goblin... 

By "value"

ASM 300

ASM 301 in a 9.8 if you are feeling ballsy 

ASM 298

10 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I have questions in return.

1. Do you already own some McFarlane books to consider being signed?

2. Is it for sentimental reasons to have the book signed? Or is it for resale later?

3. Are you wanting the signed book to be graded and get the yellow signature series?

It's been a while since I've opened some of my boxes but I think I have ASM 298 and 300 maybe one of the Spider-Man 1's.

I don't plan on selling unless there's a need for it. As for grading or keeping them raw I can go either way. I have some of each.

Just looking for ideas since I'm more familiar with his spawn stuff, trying to get some more variety. 

Just now, rogue14 said:

It's been a while since I've opened some of my boxes but I think I have ASM 298 and 300 maybe one of the Spider-Man 1's.

I don't plan on selling unless there's a need for it. As for grading or keeping them raw I can go either way. I have some of each.

Just looking for ideas since I'm more familiar with his spawn stuff, trying to get some more variety. 

A signed book for personal keepsake: get the book you like the most signed.

A book that you might sell in the future get it slabbed signature series. Is McFarlane doing signature series at Baltimore? He didn't at Calgary when I was there and only offered free signatures ( which was very nice of him as he was busy all day ).

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

A signed book for personal keepsake: get the book you like the most signed.

A book that you might sell in the future get it slabbed signature series. Is McFarlane doing signature series at Baltimore? He didn't at Calgary when I was there and only offered free signatures ( which was very nice of him as he was busy all day ).

Agree that if it's for personal reasons, get the book most sentimental to you. For me, while there are some books that are 100% sentimental, a lot fall in between (sentimental, but also some hope for potential price appreciation and selling down the line)... 

I personally don't like getting any key of a certain level CGC SS - prefer blue label. ASM300 falls into that category. If it were me, it'd probably be a Spawn #1, ASM298 (first McSpidey art), or McFarlane's Spider-Man #1. 

And yes, I'm pretty sure McFarlane doesn't allow any CGC SS at any con - only via his private signings (I think NYComics is the only ones who have these private signings, but not sure)... 

1 minute ago, CKinTO said:

Agree that if it's for personal reasons, get the book most sentimental to you. For me, while there are some books that are 100% sentimental, a lot fall in between (sentimental, but also some hope for potential price appreciation and selling down the line)... 

I personally don't like getting any key of a certain level CGC SS - prefer blue label. ASM300 falls into that category. If it were me, it'd probably be a Spawn #1, ASM298 (first McSpidey art), or McFarlane's Spider-Man #1. 

And yes, I'm pretty sure McFarlane doesn't allow any CGC SS at any con - only via his private signings (I think NYComics is the only ones who have these private signings, but not sure)... 

Correct.

In this order:

1. ASM 300 - an iconic piece.

2. Coyote 11 - his first work in the comic industry.

3. Spawn 1 - his brainchild. Lots of other rational reasons to have this one.

4. ASM 298 - first work on Spider-man.

5. ASM 316 - love the cover. Early Venom.

6. Spider-man 1 - another iconic piece and another sales blockbuster.

Of course, I own many McFarlane signatures, yet on none of the books listed above. hm

Since I'm a Spawn collector, most of my choices for Todd's signature have been on more esoteric selections. But I think the books listed above have the most general appeal, I think that's what you were getting at with the original post.

EDIT - I forgot about Batman 423! :facepalm:

Move that up to #4.

Edited by newshane

If money is no object, most would argue ASM 300 is the best book to have McFarlane sign.  It is without a doubt his most widely recognized and iconic cover image. Todd has (re) used it many a time with his other characters. 

If cheap is necessary, I'd consider in the following order...

Coyote 11 - his first work in comics. Dirt cheap

Rust 1 - Spawn ad inside back cover. This is the first published image of spawn.  The limited edition foil cover has a print run of 10,000 and can be had for $50. The regular edition is cheaper still
Malibu Sun 13 - cover dated May 1992 just like Spawn 1. But it actually arrived in comic shops a couple of weeks before Spawn 1 did.  Spawn on the cover.  It is an advertisement,  so calling it the "1st appearance" is sketchy. But Spawn is on the cover. This one gets sorta pricey, it's hard to find a copy under $150-$200

As others have mentioned, you cannot get CGC graded as a Verified Signature (Yellow label) books signed by Todd at comic books shows/conventions.  CGC Yellow label is only available when signed at his 2x a year private signings with NY Comics. Next one is coming up sometime in December.  However, it is my understanding that at most shows (where you cannot get CGC) Todd signs for little or no cost. 

Edited by Tony S

3 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Why Batman 423 (McFarlane cover only) over Detective Comics 576 or 578?

423 is the best of the Bats cover, by a long shot.

I'd probably go with Bats 423 or ASM 300 or 316.   Hulk 340 is another solid bet. 

Spidey 1 is a great choice, but I've already got his sig on that book.