• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #129 7.5 Fair or Foul

13 posts in this topic

Hi - I just got my first book back from CGC. Amazing Spider-man 129 which i would have sworn was a solid 9.0. It came back 7.5 as there was supposedly a crease across the top. In getting it back i did see two very faint indents on the back cover top. The front is pristine except for a small red dye mark which i believe happened during printing. Now i am not sure what to do. Should i spend the money to get it pressed and regraded? or just accept the 7.5 as it is? Since it is still around a $900.00 book. It cost me a hundred bucks the first time to get it graded. Do they give any kind of discount the second time around?  Here are a few pics to give you a better idea. You may have to blow them up to see what I am talking about. The biggest blemish is on the upper back right hand side. The line on the left is not a crease but a little dust mark. I see numerous other books get 9 or better that have more issues. The graders remarks said a slight crease across the top. Thanks for letting me vent.

59bbfd5846815_asm1294.thumb.JPG.18f86f0ec2d78a834ddaa04d9642814f.JPG59bbfd5981709_asm129.thumb.JPG.1e6871ea5e898f23f3aac7926251174b.JPG59bbfd5724a74_asm1293.thumb.JPG.2e1c89e397d806456cb1afcb8154e2c0.JPG59bbfd56279b7_asm1292.thumb.JPG.257ca45cc41de7224752d20e68604437.JPG

asm 129 2.JPG

No discounts second time around. That's a pretty bad crunch in the upper right. The upper left has a crease also.  I'm surprised you didn't notice before submitting. Possibly, it could have happened during shipping. If you did not pack it properly and the book had freedom of movement or the package was dropped, something of that nature, it could cause that kind of damage. Personally, I wouldn't press and resub. If shipping is the problem, it could happen again. Financially, if you got the 9.0, it would be worth it but what if it only got an 8.0 ? There are no guarantees and it would be a LONG wait. Again, My opinion.

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

There are no guarantees and it would be a LONG wait. Again, My opinion.

+1. Interested in a breakdown of the $100 cgc costs also?  Was it based on the fmv of the book?  Lesson To be learned is press almost everything as part of any cgc submission. 

There appears to be a stain on the upper left of the front cover (on the .20).  If thats actually a  stain, it will be a major contributor to the grade's reduction.  You'll have two distinct camps on this one but my take is to always dry-clean/press books with workable defects.  Make sure its someone who does this professionally and/or has a lot of experience.  My personal recommendation is CFP Comics http://www.cfpcomics.com ( @joeypost ).  As for resubbing the book, if I were in your position and this book was to be in my personal collection, I wouldn't hesitate to resub.   

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

No discounts second time around. That's a pretty bad crunch in the upper right. The upper left has a crease also.  I'm surprised you didn't notice before submitting. Possibly, it could have happened during shipping. If you did not pack it properly and the book had freedom of movement or the package was dropped, something of that nature, it could cause that kind of damage. Personally, I wouldn't press and resub. If shipping is the problem, it could happen again. Financially, if you got the 9.0, it would be worth it but what if it only got an 8.0 ? There are no guarantees and it would be a LONG wait. Again, My opinion.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Thank you Bomber Bob. The crunch in the upper right actually looks worse to me in the picture almost like a fingernail imprint. There is no color breakage. The top left is actually not a crease but a small dust line. Does look like a crease though in the picture. My line of thinking is similar to yours as they would have to crack it open and there is no guarantee it would get a better grade. Thanks again for the input.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

+1. Interested in a breakdown of the $100 cgc costs also?  Was it based on the fmv of the book?  Lesson To be learned is press almost everything as part of any cgc submission. 

Hi ThothAmon: (Boy that's a mouth full) The 100 charge is the Express charge with the 5 day turnaround. I think what is difficult here is that when submitting you almost have to grade it yourself. I'm not an expert, but thought the book was around a 9 and worth around $1,100.00 FMV. so that is what i submitted. If i knew the book to be standard, ($1,000.00 or less) it would have been $65.00. I guess they do not refund the difference if your book is downgraded. Thanks for the input. I'm learning some lessons here as i go along.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

There appears to be a stain on the upper left of the front cover (on the .20).  If thats actually a  stain, it will be a major contributor to the grade's reduction.  You'll have two distinct camps on this one but my take is to always dry-clean/press books with workable defects.  Make sure its someone who does this professionally and/or has a lot of experience.  My personal recommendation is CFP Comics http://www.cfpcomics.com ( @joeypost ).  As for resubbing the book, if I were in your position and this book was to be in my personal collection, I wouldn't hesitate to resub.   

Hi Comicquant - Thanks for the input. In hindsight i probably should have dry clean/press, but i am getting so many conflicting opinions, I'm not sure which way to go. I see e-bay sells a do it yourself pressing machine for around $250.00 which is tempting. Figured if i went this route, i would practice on numerous dollar books first. I would be a bit nervous doing this with expensive books of course. If it is done professionally, and there is any damage in their possession, do you have any recourse? Thanks again.

the back cover top left that you call a "dust mark" looks like a stain to me, and likely is what CGC called it. Top left looks "off" in the pictures, some kind of waviness/ bend?

Top right small creasing.

Front pics it is difficult to see much. I can see why they graded the book at 7.5.

Hey it is still a 7.5 ASM 129! Nice book to own.

I have an ASM129 6.5 that had a large crease going across the back...rest of the book looked like a 9.0+.  Matt took a look at it, said it was a good candidate so I had CCS press it.  Came back a 7.0 which I couldn't believe either, but part of the crease they were unable to get out. 

On 9/15/2017 at 12:55 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Possibly, it could have happened during shipping. If you did not pack it properly and the book had freedom of movement or the package was dropped, something of that nature, it could cause that kind of damage. Personally, I wouldn't press and resub. If shipping is the problem, it could happen again.

Shipping damage may be less of an issue now if it's first sent to CCS in the 7.5 slab and they forward it to CGC.