• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New CGC Slabs: Sealed All Around?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Are the new CGC slabs, with the new label, hard case and inner well (not the one's with just two pieces of mylar) sealed around all 4 sides?

The classic CGC slabs were only sealed at the 4 corners, correct? That is why they had so much give on the left and right sides.

The new slabs don't appear to have nearly as much give on the left and right sides, but I've never attempted to crack one.

They had a video of an effective way to crack the new case. Unfortunately they posted it in a thread titled ways to crack voldy and switch labels ugh but you can Google search it and add cgc at the end and it should come up. I'm on my phone or I'd post a link :)

22 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Hey guys,

Are the new CGC slabs, with the new label, hard case and inner well (not the one's with just two pieces of mylar) sealed around all 4 sides?

The classic CGC slabs were only sealed at the 4 corners, correct? That is why they had so much give on the left and right sides.

The new slabs don't appear to have nearly as much give on the left and right sides, but I've never attempted to crack one.

The new slabs are sealed on all sides so, to 90sChild's point, you can't pry the two sides apart to get paper in. That said, there is a little notch that runs across the top and bottom of the slab that you can wedge into and pry apart. Still, you can't slide a piece of paper in there, but you can crack the slab. They are a beast to open. Be careful.

Actually, now that I'm messing with this slab some more, it seems like only the sides are sealed (no room to get my fingernail in there - maybe glued?).

The top and bottom of the slab don't appear to be glued. 

On the bottom I can pry the two sides apart with my nail. I'm not sure if you could slide paper in, I don't want to risk popping it.

On the top, I can wedge into the notch I mentioned earlier, to crack the slab, but not to slide a sheet of paper in.

On 9/17/2017 at 6:57 PM, wormboy said:

Actually, now that I'm messing with this slab some more, it seems like only the sides are sealed (no room to get my fingernail in there - maybe glued?).

Sonic welded - basically using directed acoustical vibrations to melt the two pieces of plastic together. Very strong if properly done.