• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America #NN 128 page edition

27 posts in this topic

In the Comic Link auction that just ended last week, a Cap #NN 128 pager just sold.  It looks like the same book that was previously sold by Comic Link - check the markings.  The "9" by the 0.25 cover price, same exact muddy date stamp, chip between the A and the P, and cover tears down the right side of the book.  Was there some restorative work was done by filling by the machine gun.  The bottom left edge of the book also looks to be improved.  Can someone explain this?  What am I missing here? 

This 2.5 sold some time ago on Comic Link.

Captain America nn 128pg Cdn Ed B&W.jpg

This was just sold this past week on Comic link.  There is color loss on the soldiers in the bottom left, but the red chip by the machine gun is filled in, or was this chip folded over when CGC encapsulated it the 1st time?  Did pressing take some of the color?  How did the edge of the bottom left improve?

Captain America nn 128pg US Ed.jpg

Thank you for any feedback here.

Edited by cupny

Looks like the red chip you believe to be filled in was just a piece of the cover that was folded back in the original picture. Meaning the inside front white cover was being seen.

As for bottom left edge probably just a press technique that got the paper to go back to its original position.

These are my thoughts.

1 minute ago, lhcomics said:

Looks like the red chip you believe to be filled in was just a piece of the cover that was folded back in the original picture. Meaning the inside front white cover was being seen.

As for bottom left edge probably just a press technique that got the paper to go back to its original position.

These are my thoughts.

Same thing I was saying. As I was hitting submit reply your posting notice showed. Good timing 

4 hours ago, cupny said:

Thanks for your feedback.  any opinions on the green/brown that is now missing from the 3.0 book?  Could that have been done by pressing?

That would be most likely scenario 

On 9/17/2017 at 6:54 AM, cupny said:

Thanks for your feedback.  any opinions on the green/brown that is now missing from the 3.0 book?  Could that have been done by pressing?

The book looks worse for it. It was a borderline 2.5/3.0 book originally. While pressing the spine back flat, and flipping the torn pieces down improve the books look, the flaws are still there, and now it has a bunch of color pulls, completely undoing any visual improvement, and making for a weak 3.0 IMHO.

6 hours ago, rjpb said:
On 9/17/2017 at 9:54 AM, cupny said:

The book looks worse for it. It was a borderline 2.5/3.0 book originally. While pressing the spine back flat, and flipping the torn pieces down improve the books look, the flaws are still there, and now it has a bunch of color pulls, completely undoing any visual improvement, and making for a weak 3.0 IMHO.

Yeah, I kinda agree.  While I can see it getting a 3.0 grade, I think I'd rather have it as it was as a 2.5, without the color loss.

22 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

Thanks. Almost a $2K bump if I'm not mistaken.

You are wrong per usual.

The original consignor is local and he just told me that it originally sold for between $9-10K. 

So..nice negative bump

2 hours ago, greggy said:

You are wrong per usual.

The original consignor is local and he just told me that it originally sold for between $9-10K. 

So..nice negative bump

I know who sold it but for some reason I thought it sold for $6,600 range? If he made $9-$10K then good for him. About a $2K slaughter for whomever sold this. Is that better?

On 2017-09-18 at 11:55 AM, rjpb said:

Agree completely.  I'm not familiar with the pressing process - how could this have possibly happened assuming that the pressing was the cause?

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:
On 9/18/2017 at 11:55 AM, rjpb said:

Agree completely.  I'm not familiar with the pressing process - how could this have possibly happened assuming that the pressing was the cause?

I wonder if @joeypost has any thoughts?  Not a mistake I can see him making, so I assume someone else pressed it.