• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RED SPARROW starring Jennifer Lawrence (2018)

28 posts in this topic

Jennifer Lawrence's 'Red Sparrow' Is The Black Widow Movie You've Always Wanted

A Black Widow solo movie has been on many Marvel fans' wishlist for quite some time. And now, it looks like audiences can get something pretty close to it in 2018.

20th Century Fox unveiled the trailer for Red Sparrow earlier this week. The film is directed by Francis Lawrence (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) and based on the book of the same name by Jason Matthews.

The film stars Jennifer Lawrence (the X-Men franchise's Mystique) as Dominika Egorova, a former ballerina who is trained in seduction and manipulation by a Russian spy program. She eventually becomes the best "Sparrow" to graduate the program, and has to wrestle with her newfound power while targeting an American CIA agent.

While that might not completely match the origin story of Marvel's Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), it's pretty hard to deny their similarities. Granted, Red Sparrow appears to take things in a grittier, nihilistic direction, but it certainly displays the blueprints of what a Black Widow solo movie could be.

Edited by Bosco685

'Red Sparrow' Gets R Rating For Violence And Graphic Nudity

Red Sparrow has earned an R rating (via FilmRatings.com), with the full description reading "Rated R for strong violence, torture, sexual content, language and some graphic nudity." That seems about right for a spy thriller, and fans will get a brand new look at the film on Super Bowl Sunday. Fans can catch the new trailer and the Super Bowl action on NBC, which kicks off at 6:30 PM ET/ 3:30 PM PT.

Red Sparrow is directed by Francis Lawrence with a screenplay by Justin Haythe. The film is based on the original book by Jason Matthews and stars Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton, Matthias Schoenaerts, Charlotte Rampling, Mary-Louise Parker, and Jeremy Irons.

Film Review: “RED SPARROW”

new-poster-and-photos-for-jennifer-lawre

“What the f—…” was my statement of the night while watching Francis Lawrence’s spy thriller, Red Sparrow. There are twists, there were turns and there is a nice heaping of torture, blood and nudity. What more could you want on date night, right? But seriously, this movie had me pretty surprised during some scenes and I wondered if I was watching a spy flick or a Saw movie. Regardless, Red Sparrow definitely has it’s great moments, it’s WTF moments, and moments that I predicted fairly early on.

Before I go into my critique, the movie is centered around Jennifer Lawrence’s character, Dominika Egorova. A prima ballerina who is seen as Russia’s pride and joy. She also has a strong love for her mother who is sick and needs a nurse to care for her while Dominika is away. When she suffers a career-ending injury on stage, Dominika and her mother are faced with a bleak and uncertain future. Dominika eventually finds herself manipulated and then given no choice but to become the newest recruit at the Sparrow School; a secret intelligence service that trains exceptional young people to use their bodies and minds as weapons through the art of seduction and manipulation. After enduring the twisted and sadistic training tactics, she is pulled from the school as a star pupil and put right into the field to do work for her country. Dominika must now reconcile the person she was with the skills she now possesses, with her own life and everyone she cares about at risk, including an American CIA agent (played by Joel Edgerton) who tries to convince her he is the only person she can trust.

Jennifer Lawrence gives a wonderful performance as ballerina turned intelligence spy, Dominika, although her accent bugged me a bit. As a voice actor, I couldn’t help but finding myself REALLY listening to her accent and hearing it come in and out every now and again. I don’t claim to be able to replicate the perfect Russian accent, but hers seemed like she was a Russian who moved to the US as a kid and now at 28 is slowly losing her accent. It’s there, but sometimes it’ll vanish on a word or two. Minor critique. Overall, she slays as Dominika and did not surprise me or disappoint. Joel Edgerton also brings in a pretty standard “I’m one of the good guys” performances that is typical for the role, but I still enjoyed watching him overall. Except in one scene he was in. Yikes. You’ll see what I mean.

The settings were gorgeous, moving from Moscow to London and then to Budapest with the musical score keeping you mesmerized. They did a fantastic job of using the music to make you feel tense when needed and before you knew it there were violins playing a screeching note that would crescendo with the action and you would feel it all. Visually and audibly. Stunning.

Overall, while I didn’t see anything ground breaking in terms of the typical spy film, as a thriller, it delivered handsomely. Director F.Lawrence really surprised me with this film because, what exactly would you expect from the man who handled three Hunger Games films? Honestly, not this. Bravo sir. Even though I knew where you were taking me, you gave me one extremely interesting journey and for that I thank you.

Red Sparrow hits theaters March 2nd.

OVERALL RATING: Grade: B+

Interesting. I was not expecting this knowing the background of the director. And the off-again, on-again performances of Jennifer Lawrence.

Red Sparrow is a big, sprawling and unapologetically nasty spy drama, one more rooted in character, sex and violence than action beats. Lawrence is superb as a young woman both trying to take control of her own destiny and trying to determine what that would look like. I was continuously impressed by how unforgiving the film was toward all of its heroes and villains (this makes Salt look like Agent Cody Banks), as the movie’s brutality and frank sexuality, from a major studio and featuring a major female movie star, seems borderline courageous in our think piece era.

It’s too long, but it’s mostly pretty good and always watchable. Red Sparrow isn’t your friend and bless it for that.

Edited by Bosco685

15 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

In her 60 Minutes interview she said "If you don't like boobs, you won't like Red Sparrow." 

I'll definitely be checking it out. 

That's not at all a blatant attempt to get people out to see the movie. Not at all. (Don't mean you Chip, I mean her.)

Not saying I won't check it out on cable. :shy:

Edited by mysterio

Finally went and saw this movie.  Not really much to choose from right now so I was pleasantly surprise when it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Her accent was annoying but the nudity scenes more than made up for it.  Take the good with the bad.  Good action and over the top violence.

If there's nothing else better out then definitely see this movie in theatres.  Otherwise, skip the theatre and catch it on rental/dvd.

Realistically 6/10...but I'll give it a 7/10 just for the nudity (which always makes a movie better)(thumbsu.