• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RED SPARROW starring Jennifer Lawrence (2018)

28 posts in this topic

Finally got to see this movie today with my wife. We liked it.

Very engaging, long in a few scenes (should have kept this to 2 hours), yet the story was good. Jennifer Lawrence's movie uncle was familiar. Then I realized he was the guy in 'The Drop' with James Gandolfini and Tom Hardy that throws the dog in a trash container. He definitely plays characters you want to see get their due desserts.

7.0/10.0 overall

Edited by Bosco685
Hardy - not Holland

46 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Finally got to see this movie today with my wife. We liked it.

Very engaging, long in a few scenes (should have kept this to 2 hours), yet the story was good. Jennifer Lawrence's movie uncle was familiar. Then I realized he was the guy in 'The Drop' with James Gandolfini and Tom Holland that throws the dog in a trash container. He definitely plays characters you want to see get their due desserts.

7.0/10.0 overall

I saw this last weekend and agree -- it was solid.

Better than I expected, and for analogs I'd say it was better than Atomic Blonde but not as good as Salt.

Joel Edgerton continues to be one of my favorite -- and most versatile -- actors.

25 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Since you saw both how do you rate this compared to the new Tomb Raider reboot?

I haven't seen either yet and just curious which was better.

I enjoyed them both equally, in that I consider both to be 7.0 but they are very different films. Red Sparrow is a spy film with different layers and a complex story but contains R rated content and themes. Tomb Raider is an action film.

If I must choose I would pick Red Sparrow for the psychological side.

Edited by Artboy99

4 hours ago, Grails said:

You are sick of the butt-kicking female movies so you buy Tomb Raider? ? Sparrow was actually not that type of movie.  I think there was only one fight scene with her outside of training. Though if I had to buy one, I’d say Tomb Raider is the slightly better choice as far as rewatching. The ending of TR disappointed me because it’s nearly the same ending from a novel I really enjoyed called Riptide. As far as the explanation for the curse.

Tomb Raider just felt more comfortable of a choice, since I was somewhat familiar with the mythology.

Despite Lawrence's talent, I was worried it was going to be just a slick version of La Femme Nikita/Black Widow. I'll pick it up in the $3.74 bin at Walmart down the line to see if I was wrong.

44 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Tomb Raider just felt more comfortable of a choice, since I was somewhat familiar with the mythology.

Despite Lawrence's talent, I was worried it was going to be just a slick version of La Femme Nikita/Black Widow. I'll pick it up in the $3.74 bin at Walmart down the line to see if I was wrong.

I think Red Sparrow does feel like La Femme Nikita. Red Sparrow doesn't have the slick "butt kicking" type of stuff in it though. It is a more realistic view, and Jennifer Lawrence's character captures the fragility of who she was and how her new life changes her and how she grows and learns within her new life. There isn't much fighting in the film. It is definitely R rated for the violence,  psychological concepts and adult themes.