• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is 'tec 880 the most expensive non key/variant modern?
3 3

137 posts in this topic

I just have my one copy from when I had a Detective pull at the time. I had it signed by the writer along with most of Snyder's run. That being said I wouldn't pay the going rate for it if I didn't have it and I'm a Batman collector. But my favorite Jock cover.

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There are two barcode flavors for this book, right? :foryou:

Yeah, still kicking myself for passing on a newsstand 9.6 that went for just under $100 IIRC. Just didn't have the extra money that week and I thought it would go a lot higher (that was when the 9.8's were still sub-$200).

I finally caved and sold my 9.8 copy a few months ago (guess I need to take that out of my sig line). It was just going for too much to resist. Still have two copies in my raw 'Tec run.

Edited by Martin Sinescu

2 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I finally caved and sold my 9.8 copy a few months ago (guess I need to take that out of my sig line). It was just going for too much to resist. Still have two copies in my raw 'Tec run.

I thought you meant 9.8 newsstand. I turned on signatures so I could see it. :shy:

Just now, valiantman said:

I thought you meant 9.8 newsstand. I turned on signatures so I could see it. :shy:

Yeah, I wondered if I should clarify. Don't believe I've seen a 9.8 newsstand. If only CGC would acknowl...... oh, who am I kidding. I'm just going to start up a company that will add a shiny sticker to the slab for a nominal fee that says "newsstand". :idea:

On 5/17/2018 at 5:54 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

Yeah, I wondered if I should clarify. Don't believe I've seen a 9.8 newsstand. If only CGC would acknowl...... oh, who am I kidding. I'm just going to start up a company that will add a shiny sticker to the slab for a nominal fee that says "newsstand". :idea:

How do we know which is which? Are there pics someone could provide? Not sure which one I have.

11 hours ago, William-James88 said:

How do we know which is which? Are there pics someone could provide? Not sure which one I have.

Look at the right side (second section) of a barcode. 

If it has 5 numbers, or just art/text, or a slash through the whole thing, it's a direct edition.

If it has 2 numbers, it's a newsstand.

ns_v_de-1.png

NEWSSTAND:

1271571017_1200.jpg

DIRECT EDITION:

59c03e9854b18_DetectiveComics88084.jpg.d

Edited by valiantman

11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Has it passed WW 184 which has cooled down some?

I don't remember Detective #880 ever being cheaper than Wonder Woman #184. hm

Current:

WW #184 CGC 9.8 sales - 90 day average (8 sales) = $161

Detective #880 CGC 9.8 sales - 90 day average (9 sales) = $526

5 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Thanks valiantman, I don't know which one I have, will take a look tonight. Is one rare than the other? I know news stand editions were rare for 90s books but I don't know if that's the case with modern era books.

They're more rare in the sense there were less outlets for newsstands to be sold, some who found them though usually kept them in nice condition realizing that newsstands editions were slowly being phased out at outlets where they were sold......

I believe that there are no longer any "Newsstands" being sold, even the new "walmart editions" don't have the newsstand barcode.....

but while you're here check out this thread :) 

@William-James88 didn't know if you had seen my response to your question, so I was tagging you and also to see if your Tec 880 was a newsstand?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Current:

Wow talk about appreciation. WW184 has fallen off, but Tech 880 has exploded.

25 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:
4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Current:

Wow talk about appreciation. WW184 has fallen off, but Tech 880 has exploded.

'Tec 880 has actually come down a bit.  There were multiple sales between $800 and $900 at the end of 2018.

15 hours ago, fastballspecial said:
17 hours ago, Yorick said:

No one mentioned the Legion of Superheros Adam Hughes Supergirl variant cover?  I think it wins against 880 in sale price.

Yes, but its a variant we are talking about regular issues.

The topic title is a little confusing though, it should probably be "Is 'tec 880 the most expensive non-key/non-variant modern?" :kidaround:

I used to have one of these, but then kinda decided to not buy comics any more and sold everything. This was like in 2016 probably. I was pretty amazed at the prices on this book now as I don't think I paid anywhere near what it's going for now.

That said, I am in the process of getting this book again. I got pulled back in, sigh...