• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is 'tec 880 the most expensive non key/variant modern?
3 3

137 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Top ten comic covers? lollollollollol:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Yeah, actually. 

Does such a good job of showing the sheer psychosis of the Joker, while pushing the idea that the Joker only exists as a result of the Batman. Its brilliant in its execution. 

I will almost guarantee that covers compared against it are not done on artistic merit, but through nostalgia or key-importance. For example, somebody will undoubtedly say Hulk 181, but honestly its a cover...

Great cover, but I definitely think it’s over-valued/rated. It really shouldn’t be a $200 raw book, IMO, but it often is. Not saying I’m unhappy with the value, I own a high grade raw direct edition and an upper-mid grade newsstand. I know the storyline is considered to be pretty great, but it shouldn’t be a factor in the value in this collecting landscape. No first appearances or milestone events that I can tell...

However, Comichron’s order numbers are kind of low for a Batman comic (around 38k), and there are fans that will buy any cool Joker cover. So it actually probably is an example of supply and demand. The copies are out there to buy, but it’s becoming exceedingly rare to find one for a good price (meaning VF or better for under $100. I’m sure there are more collecting hardcore Joker fans than 40k-ish.

Full disclosure, I got my direct edition about 3 or 4 years ago for $2 in a proved box at an LCS, and the newsstand I got for 70 or 80 bucks after getting $60 credit for a short box of $2-$5 comics about two years ago (at 2nd and Charles). At the time I would have paid the whole $120 or whatever for the newsstand, but I had a box of stuff I knew I could get at least $40 credit for, so the manager helped me out on it since I was/am one of their most recurring customers.

Again, not complaining of its current value standing, just my thoughts as a collector.

4 hours ago, BishopT said:

Great cover, but I definitely think it’s over-valued/rated. It really shouldn’t be a $200 raw book, IMO, but it often is. Not saying I’m unhappy with the value, I own a high grade raw direct edition and an upper-mid grade newsstand. I know the storyline is considered to be pretty great, but it shouldn’t be a factor in the value in this collecting landscape. No first appearances or milestone events that I can tell...

However, Comichron’s order numbers are kind of low for a Batman comic (around 38k), and there are fans that will buy any cool Joker cover. So it actually probably is an example of supply and demand. The copies are out there to buy, but it’s becoming exceedingly rare to find one for a good price (meaning VF or better for under $100. I’m sure there are more collecting hardcore Joker fans than 40k-ish.

Full disclosure, I got my direct edition about 3 or 4 years ago for $2 in a proved box at an LCS, and the newsstand I got for 70 or 80 bucks after getting $60 credit for a short box of $2-$5 comics about two years ago (at 2nd and Charles). At the time I would have paid the whole $120 or whatever for the newsstand, but I had a box of stuff I knew I could get at least $40 credit for, so the manager helped me out on it since I was/am one of their most recurring customers.

Again, not complaining of its current value standing, just my thoughts as a collector.

There is sooooooo much that shouldn’t be either but it’s where we are 

On 5/22/2020 at 11:20 PM, BishopT said:

.... I know the storyline is considered to be pretty great, but it shouldn’t be a factor in the value in this collecting landscape. No first appearances or milestone events that I can tell...

Did you seriously just suggest that a good story shouldn't have any input on value? Seriously?

I'd much rather collect a book with a killer story with a monster cover, than some random BS book that happens to be "rare" just because they didn't print many. See the D23 Marvel 1000 as a great example of a mediocre (at best) book with an artificially inflated value. 

2 hours ago, mediaslave said:

Did you seriously just suggest that a good story shouldn't have any input on value? Seriously?

I'd much rather collect a book with a killer story with a monster cover, than some random BS book that happens to be "rare" just because they didn't print many. See the D23 Marvel 1000 as a great example of a mediocre (at best) book with an artificially inflated value. 

I don’t think I said it shouldn’t have any input in value. It’s that, historically, a great story usually isn’t enough to boost the value of a book, especially in this collecting landscape (as I said). Because, honestly and as much as I wish it was, it usually isn’t... like 99% of the time. How many great stories will never be worth more than $3 because it wasn’t a first appearance, something vaguely referred to by Donny Cates (for example), Etc. ?

AH ok that makes more sense. I was wondering for a minute there.  :)

But yeah, you're right. Collectors seem to be all about the speculation and BS reasoning. Again, D23 Marvel 1000 is I think the pinnacle of the sillyness. Still blows my mind that Old Man Logan series isn't worth more. 

On 4/4/2020 at 8:51 AM, mediaslave said:

Yeah, actually. 

Does such a good job of showing the sheer psychosis of the Joker, while pushing the idea that the Joker only exists as a result of the Batman. Its brilliant in its execution. 

I will almost guarantee that covers compared against it are not done on artistic merit, but through nostalgia or key-importance. For example, somebody will undoubtedly say Hulk 181, but honestly its a cover...

Uncanny X-Men (1963) #141 | Comic Issues | Marvel

Did this thread devolve into a Tec 880 club?

I was looking up prices for Amazing Fantasy 15 (Amadeus Cho) and was surprised at how much they have gone up recently. It got me thinking about what market values would comprise the top 10 non-variant moderns.

For the purposes of this analysis, I don't think any comic pre-2000 should qualify. Arguably, this could be even more recent but the line has to be drawn somewhere. 

So what makes it?

Walking Dead 1

Edge of Spider-Verse 2

Amazing Fantasy 15

Tec 880

Ultimate Fallout 4

Walking Dead 2

NYX 3

Y the Last Man 1

Invincible 1

Venom/Deadpool What If 1

Are there contenders I have overlooked?

Honorable:

Vengeance 1

Walking Dead 3-6, 19

Chew 1

Captain Marvel 14

Venom 3

Amazing Spider-Man 4

All New Marvel Now: Point One 1

Spawn 174,175

Spider-Man Noir 1

Saga 1

Teen Titans 12

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

Did this thread devolve into a Tec 880 club?

I was looking up prices for Amazing Fantasy 15 (Amadeus Cho) and was surprised at how much they have gone up recently. It got me thinking about what market values would comprise the top 10 non-variant moderns.

For the purposes of this analysis, I don't think any comic pre-2000 should qualify. Arguably, this could be even more recent but the line has to be drawn somewhere. 

So what makes it?

Walking Dead 1

Edge of Spider-Verse 2

Amazing Fantasy 15

Tec 880

Ultimate Fallout 4

Walking Dead 2

NYX 3

Y the Last Man 1

Invincible 1

Venom/Deadpool What If 1

Are there contenders I have overlooked?

Honorable:

Vengeance 1

Walking Dead 3-6, 19

Chew 1

Captain Marvel 14

Venom 3

Amazing Spider-Man 4

All New Marvel Now: Point One 1

Spawn 174,175

Spider-Man Noir 1

Saga 1

Teen Titans 12

I think anything that is a first appearance would be eliminated, that’s the whole point of this thread.