• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is 'tec 880 the most expensive non key/variant modern?
3 3

137 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, gradejunky said:

still remember having about 6 of these in front of me at an LCS years ago.  They were on the shelf but all were in about 9.0/9.2 range so I passed as I was really not buying very much comics at the time.  Was just kind of perusing really.  When I went back a short time after all the copies were gone.  This is a store in my area that bags/boards all new comics, and lets them sit on the recent back issue shelf for months after release.  They aren't the busiest store either so I figured I'd go back and they'd still be there!?!  Needless to say I was wrong, and still regret not snagging a few copies as I was collecting 'Tec for years just before these last issues dropped.

:frustrated:

I feel you lol I have a LCS that I visit nearby when I drive to meet a certain someone on their lunch break. Anyway I had like $50 bucks, and I was just looking randomly in the bins. I saw this Jock cover and it was $40. I thought, "nah, I'll get something I could get signed at a con", as one was coming earlier this year. I looked and didn't fine one to get signed, thought, "oh, I'll save the $50", thinking I was being frugal. Even though I really like this cover, I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it off for grading etc. It was a lose lose situation. 

Sorry to talk your ear off, just wanted to let you know, you not alone :shy:

This book came out a couple of years before I got back into comics, but thankfully I managed to snag a high grade earlier this year for $2. Was this book immediately hot and sought after, if not around how long did it take for it to take off?

24 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

12 month on Power Girl is $299. Last sale was $475. Last sale on Tec was $300.

so....

That  $475 sale for Power Girl was one sale and reeks of being an outlier, and the  $300 "sale" of Tec 880 is nearly  $100 below it's 90 day average  (thus also making it an outlier, but on the low end).

Which is why I said averages. (And none are as high as Tec 880, as I said.)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

15 hours ago, valiantman said:

"tec" = "'Tec" = "Detective" = "Detective Comics"

Detective Comics #880

Most titles can be shortened to their initials "AF" = "Amazing Fantasy", ASM = "Amazing Spider-Man", but shortening "Detective Comics" to "DC" would be confused with the publisher name, so "Detective Comics" the title becomes 'Tec.

It's also fun to realize that DC means "Detective Comics" in the publisher name, too, so when someone says "DC Comics", they're saying Detective Comics Comics. (:

Nerd.

So, if I had a stack of DC Comics, would it be a stack of Detective Comics Comics comics....?

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nerd.

So, if I had a stack of DC Comics, would it be a stack of Detective Comics Comics comics....?

Yep, and you could pay for them with money from one of those automatic teller ATM machines.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:
7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nerd.

Yep, and you could pay for them with money from one of those automatic teller ATM machines.

As long as you don't forget your PIN number.  2c 

3 hours ago, bababooey said:
5 hours ago, valiantman said:
11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nerd.

As long as you don't forget your PIN number.  2c 

My personal PIN number?

18 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Depends on your confidence in your ability to grade, and your experience in detecting defects that you believe can be pressed out.

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

Depends on your confidence in your ability to grade, and your experience in detecting defects that you believe can be pressed out.

Gotcha. I’m not the best at grading, I think the folds can press out but the spine ticks not so much.