• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is 'tec 880 the most expensive non key/variant modern?
3 3

137 posts in this topic

I can tell you the other common issue with this color is black ink rub.  The back cover is very dark and led to many of the white covers having this issue.  I had a very nice copy graded about 2 years ago and it got knocked down to a 9.4 because of this.  Then you do get the spine tick issue on the dark back cover, so a good look att the back is a must.

On 9/18/2017 at 2:15 AM, Lonzilla said:

It's just an amazing cover, a neo-classic one at that and a super tough find in high grade. The raw price of this book is one of those examples where you can say, "see, not everyone collects slabs."

Good luck finding one cheap

Got mine when I added Batman and Tec to my pull list just before new 52 launched(a few issue ahead), paid less than cover for it, slabbed it myself (9.8) and sold it for like $400 last year.  I see people hitting $500 for it now, and good on them, absolutely no regrets.  One of the biggest "free money" books I have ever sold, 100% profit.

I would not recommend to anyone to be paying high money for that book.  imo, its not rare at all, and purely a speculation driven sign of the times type book.  I'd sell any book paid cover for $4-$500 all day every day and twice on Sunday.

Edited by CBT

On 20/09/2017 at 4:04 PM, BishopT said:

This book came out a couple of years before I got back into comics, but thankfully I managed to snag a high grade earlier this year for $2. Was this book immediately hot and sought after, if not around how long did it take for it to take off?

Pretty sure my LCS sold out the first day.

27 minutes ago, CBT said:

Got mine when I added Batman and Tec to my pull list just before new 52 launched(a few issue ahead), paid less than cover for it, slabbed it myself (9.8) and sold it for like $400 last year.  I see people hitting $500 for it now, and good on them, absolutely no regrets.  One of the biggest "free money" books I have ever sold, 100% profit.

I would not recommend to anyone to be paying high money for that book.  imo, its not rare at all, and purely a speculation driven sign of the times type book.  I'd sell any book paid cover for $4-$500 all day every day and twice on Sunday.

People who collect the Tec run and Joker cover collectors are holding this book- at least the 9.8 slabs. That's why you always see so few available (if any).  And it will be tough to find them in the raw in 9.8 condition, as it is, less than 1 out of there on the census has pulled a 9.8, which is a very low percentage for a modern.  

-J.

32 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

People who collect the Tec run and Joker cover collectors are holding this book- at least the 9.8 slabs. That's why you always see so few available (if any).  And it will be tough to find them in the raw in 9.8 condition, as it is, less than 1 out of there on the census has pulled a 9.8, which is a very low percentage for a modern.  

-J.

Fake News ;)

Flippers selling to flippers, and many hoarders holding multiples.  Not rare or hard to get in 9.8

36 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Hmmmm.... debatable.  

-J.

I would've gone with "doubtful", but folks can think what they want. I think this book has had a strong, steady rise over the last few years based on no hype other than a cool cover and being part of Snyder's acclaimed run. Seems pretty organic and not movie or some other spec related. Again, it's a low print for a Batman book and one of the most striking Joker covers of the last 20-30 years. 

38 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I would've gone with "doubtful", but folks can think what they want. I think this book has had a strong, steady rise over the last few years based on no hype other than a cool cover and being part of Snyder's acclaimed run. Seems pretty organic and not movie or some other spec related. Again, it's a low print for a Batman book and one of the most striking Joker covers of the last 20-30 years. 

There is a great amount of money, looking for places to flow, just reread the thread, you can see it even here.

I owned the book during the years you are talking about, and watched it through out.

The boards have become myopic since 2013ish, confusing "readily available online to buy" and rarity, with many narratives and narrative pushers trying to justify completely unjustifiable valuations.

If you think a Tec 880 9.8 for $500 is anything other than a bubble, that's your prerogative, but imo the future will not be kind.  Only time will tell, but there are a lot LOT better books you can buy for $500, even including in the realm of massively overpriced moderns....

I'll take my 20,000% profit margin and be on my way...  (not an exaggeration, it was sold for 200+ times more than I paid for it -- ie 20000% margin.)

Edited by CBT

39 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

+1

And last I checked, striking, standout Joker covers were kind of a thing in this hobby. ;)

-J.

12 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

+1

And last I checked, striking, standout Joker covers were kind of a thing in this hobby. ;)

-J.

HUGE DEMOGRAPHIC

Thousands upon thousands of collectors, I went to the Memphis JOKER'S COVER CON last year, and there was like 5,000 people there on the Saturday....

Of course, on Tuesdays, if there are two Full Moon's that month, we all play Fizbin.

But on a more serious note, if I bought $100,000 X-Men #1, it would probably be rarer than Tec 880.... Just saying, but if a couple years later somebody offered me $20,000,000 (200x my purchase), not only would I sell my very rare book, it might be a sign the guy paying $20,000,000 for the book was buying into a bubble. 

But that's a UHG X-Men #1, which are a dime a dozen these days.  Not like TEC 880, cause it has a white back, so you know, SPINE TICKS arent a problem.

It's too bad about TEC 881, it just keeps sitting in my collection unloved at cover, not being sold. 

Oh well, you should have seen those crowds at JOKER COVER CON, epic.

Edited by CBT

8 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

^^^ You kind of sound like a guy who regrets selling his hard to come by 9.8 Tec 880 too soon.

This is why I never sell anything.   (:

-J.

Your problem, besides being wrong so often, is you don't understand basic economics.

The 200x profits made selling the book, buys other books that also go up.  The total value keeps climbing, and the higher the margin of each sale, the more exponential the total worth of the collection becomes.

If I wanted to buy the book back, I could, and still be way ahead, because in the year since, that $400 has become $800+, a measely doubling, not like an epic 200x, but still good.

So, own the same book again, and have $300 in the clear, the magic of finances.

Here's the real crux of it.

If you genuinely and truly are telling less experienced, new collectors to the hobby, that buying Tec' 880 at $500 is a wise thing to do, and a good investment of their money.

Then you are a straight up scumbag liar, because I know you know its not.

No, you want to feel good about your own books imaginary values on paper (never realized cause according to you, you dont sell), so you talk up what you own, with all sorts of baseless nonsense claims that you throw around as fact.

I am sorry you over paid for your Tec 880, I am happy it went up since then so your ego can be spared.

But, the truth is still the truth, Tec 880, AINT RARE, AINT HARD TO FIND IN HIGH GRADE, and SURE  AINT worth $500

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Who has told anybody to "invest" in comics, and outside of what I decide to put in a sig line, you don't know what I own.  This is a hobby, one that's supposed to be fun.  You sound way too angry to be having fun.   :baiting:

-J.

^^^ You kind of sound like a guy who regrets selling his hard to come by 9.8 Tec 880 too soon.

-J.

Nice, cognitive dissonance.

Claiming I sound angry, doesnt make it true.

I dont like BS peddling, and I dont like new people being given bad or self-serving advice.

If you agree Tec 880 aint worth paying $500 for, then we already agree.

There's now a very confusing "homage" variant coming out by an independent. It looks like they used most of the lower half of the image an just overlayed in photoshop. They also moved Jocks signature making it look like he was part of the new creation.

11 hours ago, CBT said:

There is a great amount of money, looking for places to flow, just reread the thread, you can see it even here.

I owned the book during the years you are talking about, and watched it through out.

The boards have become myopic since 2013ish, confusing "readily available online to buy" and rarity, with many narratives and narrative pushers trying to justify completely unjustifiable valuations.

If you think a Tec 880 9.8 for $500 is anything other than a bubble, that's your prerogative, but imo the future will not be kind.  Only time will tell, but there are a lot LOT better books you can buy for $500, even including in the realm of massively overpriced moderns....

I'll take my 20,000% profit margin and be on my way...  (not an exaggeration, it was sold for 200+ times more than I paid for it -- ie 20000% margin.)

Really? It sure was nice of CGC to grade the book for free. Do you have a connection there?