• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is 'tec 880 the most expensive non key/variant modern?
3 3

137 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There's now a very confusing "homage" variant coming out by an independent. It looks like they used most of the lower half of the image an just overlayed in photoshop. They also moved Jocks signature making it look like he was part of the new creation.

Any pictures?

On 9/28/2017 at 11:19 AM, Lazyboy said:

Really? It sure was nice of CGC to grade the book for free. Do you have a connection there?

that was 200x, after expenses, more if they werent included actually. Gross it'd be like x225 ;)

It seems like this is happening more frequently. Some random book in 9.8 (classic cover, variant, whatever) reaching prices higher than legit key issues from around the same period in time. Whether it is manufactured or natural, it is a really interesting situation and a definite sign of how the game has changed... something I tend to keep coming back to, as I can't tell if these 'new rules' are here to stay or not.

I paid $10 for one that came back a 9.8 I got when I was at the Hartford comic con in 2013, sold it for $175. 

This book came at the tail end of the detective comics run when print runs were low. 

Anyone else noticing that all these non keys that go for crazy money in 9.8 all seem to be DC?

On 9/28/2017 at 12:15 AM, CBT said:

Your problem, besides being wrong so often, is you don't understand basic economics.

The 200x profits made selling the book, buys other books that also go up.  The total value keeps climbing, and the higher the margin of each sale, the more exponential the total worth of the collection becomes.

If I wanted to buy the book back, I could, and still be way ahead, because in the year since, that $400 has become $800+, a measely doubling, not like an epic 200x, but still good.

So, own the same book again, and have $300 in the clear, the magic of finances.

Here's the real crux of it.

If you genuinely and truly are telling less experienced, new collectors to the hobby, that buying Tec' 880 at $500 is a wise thing to do, and a good investment of their money.

Then you are a straight up scumbag liar, because I know you know its not.

No, you want to feel good about your own books imaginary values on paper (never realized cause according to you, you dont sell), so you talk up what you own, with all sorts of baseless nonsense claims that you throw around as fact.

I am sorry you over paid for your Tec 880, I am happy it went up since then so your ego can be spared.

But, the truth is still the truth, Tec 880, AINT RARE, AINT HARD TO FIND IN HIGH GRADE, and SURE  AINT worth $500

You're right, it's not rare or hard to find in high grade. But it IS in demand. Same can also be said about Hulk 181. 

I think you are having a hard time wrapping your head around the high prices being paid for this book. People spend more on what they want, not what they need.

9 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

You're right, it's not rare or hard to find in high grade. But it IS in demand. Same can also be said about Hulk 181. 

I think you are having a hard time wrapping your head around the high prices being paid for this book. People spend more on what they want, not what they need.

I am not "having a hard time" with anything.

People are free to pay whatever price they want for whatever book they want.  But just because some people will do something, doesnt make it a good decision.

Many people on these boards are willing to drink the kool-aid on books they own(or worse ones they want to pump), at the expense of giving terrible advice to inexperienced newer people to the hobby who will end up holding the bag in the end.

I am JUST as free to say, "thats too much for that book" as others are to say "oh, black cover, cant find it on ebay, great artwork, blah blah blah". 

So if you think a non-key book from a main line title of a big two series, printed this decade, is worth $500 in 9.8, go get it champ, more power to you.   I owned it the entire time it has been rising, paid sub-cover, and made a massive payday selling it, and if I had more I'd sell them all for massive profits too.  But dont think for a second if I want to warn other people asking if paying $500 for it is a good idea, that I am going to be squelched. 

Before the current bubble got really going, people used to have good debates on here from both sides of the argument (I lurked here for many many years before joining the conversation), nowadays its just cheerleading or everyone screaming REEEEEeeeeeee if you dare disagree.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:11 PM, Cosmos Comics said:

I think its its really just the cover. It is a true masterpiece. who wouldn't want to own it. must have for all Batman and Joker fans.

I thought so too, but it took me quite while to sell my NM+ copy. I thought it would sell in less then a week I think it took me 2 to 3 months
to sell it. I paid $10 for it so I didn't have much in it, but it isn't as hot a book as people think it is.

On 5/13/2018 at 2:43 AM, Cosmos Comics said:

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had the money and its is one of those comics that if you are going to buy it you have to get it in a 9.6 or 9.8.

That's not a good thing, for any book.  That's the definition of manufactured rarity...