• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is 'tec 880 the most expensive non key/variant modern?
3 3

137 posts in this topic

So I happened to look tec 880 up on ebay recently after seeing it posted here and thought,yeah that would be cool to add to the collection...until I see raw copies hitting 100+

So that got me thinking,aside from the jock joker cover.(there's nothing monumental happening inside is there?)

What other modern non key,non variants are topping this issue valuewise?

I can't think of any marvel books.and the only others would be Catwoman hughes issues.

For discussion purposes,my modern point reference is gonna be in the 2005- up range.

Disclaimer:just healthy discussion please don't shun me and say I should do my own homework,though I know this brings to light that aspect.I'm just curious,moderns are really out of my realm.and if it is topping tec 880 I can't see it being much of a secret.

It's just an amazing cover, a neo-classic one at that and a super tough find in high grade. The raw price of this book is one of those examples where you can say, "see, not everyone collects slabs."

Good luck finding one cheap

I had the first CGC 9.8 Tec 880 in the census. Was pretty happy when I sold it for, IIRC, $250 or so. I...wish I still had it now, obviously.

14 hours ago, Lonzilla said:

It's just an amazing cover, a neo-classic one at that and a super tough find in high grade. The raw price of this book is one of those examples where you can say, "see, not everyone collects slabs."

Good luck finding one cheap

It is fairly hard to find raw in nice shape, but it's also from a point when the print run was down around 40,000 copies (one of the title's lower points) and it's Scott Snyder's revered "Black Mirror" arc (first issue 871 is a strong seller as well) before he took over New 52 Bats. Yeah, the cover's the driving factor, but it has some other stuff going for it as well.

54 minutes ago, Bill1 said:

Needed an example!

Detective Comics 880 84.jpg

I fished two of these in really nice shape out of dollar boxes a few years ago..and then I proceeded to sell them too early and for too little (still did well).

Hulk 92 seems to fall in that category. 

I can't remember if any of the characters 1st appeared in that issue.  But I don't think people are buying it because of the 1st brood character.  It was the 1st of the storyline.  

Patrick

still remember having about 6 of these in front of me at an LCS years ago.  They were on the shelf but all were in about 9.0/9.2 range so I passed as I was really not buying very much comics at the time.  Was just kind of perusing really.  When I went back a short time after all the copies were gone.  This is a store in my area that bags/boards all new comics, and lets them sit on the recent back issue shelf for months after release.  They aren't the busiest store either so I figured I'd go back and they'd still be there!?!  Needless to say I was wrong, and still regret not snagging a few copies as I was collecting 'Tec for years just before these last issues dropped.

:frustrated: