• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sparkle City Comics
4 4

157 posts in this topic

Just now, Tony S said:

I'm still waiting for another opinion on Sparkle City grading. I've bought a few books from them but they were already slabbed. 

I always enjoy Kav's & Lizards2's posts, so am saddened to see the two bickering. :slapfight:

I haven't followed them lately, but in the past 3 years I have seen quite a few overgraded raw listings.  I stayed clear of them.  They used to get very high prices, which baffled me. 

2 minutes ago, Tony S said:

I'm still waiting for another opinion on Sparkle City grading. I've bought a few books from them but they were already slabbed. 

I always enjoy Kav's & Lizards2's posts, so am saddened to see the two bickering. :slapfight:

I don't know why he got so angry-I posted the sunglasses gif, I thought it was mildly amusing then BOOM went the dynamite...  (shrug)

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I don't know why he got so angry-I posted the sunglasses gif, I thought it was mildly amusing then BOOM went the dynamite...  (shrug)

Nothing amusing about sunglasses abuse, you should be ashamed of yourself.

5 minutes ago, kav said:
7 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Nothing amusing about sunglasses abuse, you should be ashamed of yourself.

I guess I just didn't know.  

It's ok.  One night on the couch, and the lover's quarrel will be mended.

14 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

I haven't followed them lately, but in the past 3 years I have seen quite a few overgraded raw listings.  I stayed clear of them.  They used to get very high prices, which baffled me. 

I could easily have this wrong, but at that time they were mixing in slabs and raws, creating the illusion that they knew how to grade.  Then they went to all raw.  I don't know what their current auctions look like, as I ignore their emails.

1 minute ago, woowoo said:
7 minutes ago, kav said:

I'll never do it again.

Last night you told me you mean this time (tsk)

me love you long time?

A good example of a grade which is way off is the Batman #227 they've got up right now.  They say its an 8.5 and its a 7.0 on a good day.  The over-grading is consistent but the degree of over-grading varies quite a bit.  They've got to have more than one person grading because it seems there's an old school (3 to 4 bumps off) and a new school.

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

A good example of a grade which is way off is the Batman #227 they've got up right now.  They say its an 8.5 and its a 7.0 on a good day.  The over-grading is consistent but the degree of over-grading varies quite a bit.  They've got to have more than one person grading because it seems there's an old school (3 to 4 bumps off) and a new school.

:whatthe:

Some of their stuff almost looks plausible.

But then there are books like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-83-NM-9-6-HIGH-GRADE-Marvel-Comic-KEY-1st-Valkyrie-VINTAGE-Silver-15c-/202058176191?hash=item2f0b9b16bf

where it looks great from the front, but kind of bumpy on the back.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Some of their stuff almost looks plausible.

But then there are books like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-83-NM-9-6-HIGH-GRADE-Marvel-Comic-KEY-1st-Valkyrie-VINTAGE-Silver-15c-/202058176191?hash=item2f0b9b16bf

where it looks great from the front, but kind of bumpy on the back.

(thumbsu