• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sparkle City Comics
4 4

157 posts in this topic

I was trying to dig up the old thread on Sparkle City Comics but google and the forum search doesn't bring up anything. I usually find these threads but this time it's like it's been purged.

Back in the day, Sparkle City had the greatest slabbed offerings which ran every week.

Then their offerings have become mainly raw. I asked the same question at the time about their raw books and was very puzzled at their stated grades. They weren't always as off as they are now. I have bought a raw book from them and have been satisfied before the grading downturn.

I do recall one board member complaining about a book he bought that had resto (colour touch or some such thing inside) and asked for a return. This led to him being subsequently being banned from bidding further with them.

For slabbed books, you can't go wrong. For raw books, you need to bid according to what you think the stated grade is. If resto is an issue for you, well you take your chances.

52 minutes ago, romanheart said:

I was trying to dig up the old thread on Sparkle City Comics but google and the forum search doesn't bring up anything. I usually find these threads but this time it's like it's been purged.

. . .

Ahem. Your google-fu is weak, old man.

Edited by grebal

I just got a response from the Sparkle City owner that I posted damaging comments about his store, etc....

Anyway the original thread has been recovered so you can read for yourself how/why he got banned and if it was deserved. I mentioned to him I wasn't the only other person thinking the grades on the scans were off and that he can state his case on here if thinks otherwise.

Frankly, I don't want to get in any tit-for-tat since my only purchase from them was actually a decent one. I do like how we share our experiences with sellers on these boards as it helps a lot.

25 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Because sometimes....

A spoon... is just a spoon. 

and someone using a fork is just a forker...., :banana:

1 minute ago, romanheart said:

I just got a response from the Sparkle City owner that I posted damaging comments about his store, etc....

Anyway the original thread has been recovered so you can read for yourself how/why he got banned and if it was deserved. I mentioned to him I wasn't the only other person thinking the grades on the scans were off and that he can state his case on here if thinks otherwise.

Frankly, I don't want to get in any tit-for-tat since my only purchase from them was actually a decent one. I do like how we share our experiences with sellers on these boards as it helps a lot.

They already canceled the auction on the referenced Avengers book, and created a new auction, and adjusted the grade from a 9.6 to a 9.2.  Of course, many here would think the new grade is a little ambitious.

50 minutes ago, romanheart said:

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA 

3 hours ago, romanheart said:

I do recall one board member complaining about a book he bought that had resto (colour touch or some such thing inside) and asked for a return. This led to him being subsequently being banned from bidding further with them.

For slabbed books, you can't go wrong. For raw books, you need to bid according to what you think the stated grade is. If resto is an issue for you, well you take your chances.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA 

My intentions and perception of the private message I sent to this poster differs a little. I sent this message to a poster who made a statement that appeared to be factually incomplete or incorrect. This was not to scold the poster, simply to set the record straight as this poster has been a valued customer of ours over the years and I did not want  him forming an opinion of us based on incomplete information. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by BrianHoward

2 hours ago, romanheart said:

Back in the day, Sparkle City had the greatest slabbed offerings which ran every week.

Then their offerings have become mainly raw. I asked the same question at the time about their raw books and was very puzzled at their stated grades. They weren't always as off as they are now. I have bought a raw book from them and have been satisfied before the grading downturn.

I happened to consign some books with them right at the time they transitioned from all slabbed to raw.  Up to that point I had been a buyer and was always impressed with the results they were getting on slabbed books and with their customer service.   IMHO they never should have started selling raws.  It ruined their brand.

4 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I happened to consign some books with them right at the time they transitioned from all slabbed to raw.  Up to that point I had been a buyer and was always impressed with the results they were getting on slabbed books and with their customer service.   IMHO they never should have started selling raws.  It ruined their brand.

I'm sorry that slab buyers are disappointed we aren't offering as many slabs as we used to but this business decision is now years old and was explained on here previously. 

We still achieve great results and provide the same customer service and shipping/packing. 

Our brand is absolutely not ruined. Our business has actually been strengthened by this decision and our customer base grows every year. 

Edited by BrianHoward

1 minute ago, BrianHoward said:

I'm sorry that slab buyers are disappointed we aren't offering as many slabs as we used to but this business decision is now years old and was explained on here previously. 

We still achieve great results and provide the same customer service and shipping/packing. 

Our brand is absolutely not ruined. Our business has actually been strengthened by this decision and our customer base grows every year. 

Ruined is too strong.  Sorry about that.  At a minimum it changed your brand in my eyes.   I still do buy from you as I've always only had positive experiences. 

Just now, ThothAmon said:

Ruined is too strong.  Sorry about that.  At a minimum it changed your brand in my eyes.   I still do buy from you as I've always only had positive experiences. 

That's fair. We definitely did transition from a majority slabbed to majority raw. I understand this is going to limit our appeal to slab buyers, but this was a business decision that needed to be made. 

Thanks for the kind words. I hope we have the opportunity to earn your business again!

Since you're here, doesn't the right edge cut of your Batman 227 ending Sunday seem kind of funky to you?  Was that typical for this issue?  I agree that grading is very subjective, but e.g. the Marvel Premiere with that back cover tanning and impact top edge called a 9.6 means it is fair to mention that while you're honest with your back scans and generous return policy, that grading 'nuts' can feel less than confident with some of your raw listings.

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, grebal said:

Since you're here, doesn't the right edge cut of your Batman 227 ending Sunday seem kind of funky to you?  Was that typical for this issue?  I agree that grading is very subjective, but e.g. the Marvel Premiere with that back cover tanning and impact top edge called a 9.6 means it is fair to mention that while you're honest with your back scans and generous return policy, that grading 'nuts' can feel less than confident with some of your raw listings.

s-l1600.jpg

Hi,

We really prefer that people contact us directly with any questions or concerns they may have. We're easy to find and very responsive. We are not on the boards much and won't be. Please don't ever hesitate to contact us directly in the future (brian@sparklecitycomics.com) .

As far as the Batman #227, I'm not too sure what looks funky to you. This book was brought up early in this thread and the consensus seemed to be that our grade of was fair.

On 9/18/2017 at 12:24 AM, lizards2 said:

I see the corner bump at LLFC, but the rest of it looks like production issues, with the raker marks at the bottom having some rubbing wear.  What am I missing on this one?  Looks like something I would crack out of a CGC 8.5 slab that you think looks a lot better, because the the outer well hides a lot of that stuff.

On 9/18/2017 at 12:53 AM, lizards2 said:

I think you're looking at a lot of scanner artifacts on the FC, with some actual flaws.  The soiling/foxing on BC too - not sure - looks like an aging/tanning halo to me - foxing?  Not sure.  I really can't tell from the scan.

I agree there is wear.  But it looks like a plausible CGC 8.5 to 8.0.  At least some of the carppy ones I've cracked out.

I'm not trying to be an apologist for Sparkle City, but on this one I'm just not sure.

The book has some production flaws which might be what you're concerned about.. Please feel free to PM me with some more detail or email me: brian@sparklecitycomics.com

As for the Marvel Premiere #1, I'm looking at the book right now and what may look like foxing is just dust shadow/tanning, not actually foxing. The page quality is turning a bit after 40 or so years, but there doesn't appear to be oxidization to the degree that we would call foxing. The pages are OW. That impact top edge is not visible on the actual book in my hands. 

Edited by BrianHoward