• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mountain Man Comics
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Wow,,,,,I would have never dreamed I'd find a comic shop like this in extreme North Georgia. I couldn't find a thread for neighborhood comic shops so I guess I will start one. This place is situated in the town of Blue Ridge and it was impressive. I found raw and graded Silver and Golden Age books aplenty! They had many keys in affordable price ranges and the prices were competitive with what you would hope to find elsewhere. I just could not believe my luck. I've been to MANY comic shops over the past 35 years and this one was one of the best. I bought an FF #11 in very fine,,,,an FF #10 in vg and a FF#9 in vg,,,,,I asked if there was any room to haggle(since I was spending over $1000) and the guy behind the counter said "sure,,, let me call the owner",,,,I was so impressed I grabbed a Dr. Strange #169 in fine and an Avengers# 135 in NM as well,,with no haggling btw! Hah!

I just had to share this with you all. It seems like we spend so much time and money on these computers that the days of "brick and mortar" shops are a thing of the past,,,,kinda like record shops/head shops,,,ahem,,,,,It was really refreshing to find this place in a town where I spent many a year visiting my mother when she was alive. Blue Ridge is a bustling little tourist town now and this shop is well worth a visit,,,,the staff I met was friendly, knowlegdgeable(whatever) and helpful.

Ok,,enough gushing. I wont even get into the CGC graded Timely's ,Ec's and goodies they had. I hope you have a shop close enough to you that gives you the thrill you got when you first started reading-collecting comics that this one gave me, and no,,,, I am NOT affiliated with Mountain Man comics in any way other than being a crazy older comic shop patron.  Excelsior! lucky eddie.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, fast eddie said:

Wow,,,,,I would have never dreamed I'd find a comic shop like this in extreme North Georgia. I couldn't find a thread for neighborhood comic shops so I guess I will start one. This place is situated in the town of Blue Ridge and it was impressive. I found raw and graded Silver and Golden Age books aplenty! They had many keys in affordable price ranges and the prices were competitive with what you would hope to find elsewhere. I just could not believe my luck. I've been to MANY comic shops over the past 35 years and this one was one of the best. I bought an FF #11 in very fine,,,,an FF #10 in vg and a FF#9 in vg,,,,,I asked if there was any room to haggle(since I was spending over $1000) and the guy behind the counter said "sure,,, let me call the owner",,,,I was so impressed I grabbed a Dr. Strange #169 in fine and an Avengers# 135 in NM as well,,with no haggling btw! Hah!

I just had to share this with you all. It seems like we spend so much time and money on these computers that the days of "brick and mortar" shops are a thing of the past,,,,kinda like record shops/head shops,,,ahem,,,,,It was really refreshing to find this place in a town where I spent many a year visiting my mother when she was alive. Blue Ridge is a bustling little tourist town now and this shop is well worth a visit,,,,the staff I met was friendly, knowlegdgeable(whatever) and helpful.

Ok,,enough gushing. I wont even get into the CGC graded Timely's ,Ec's and goodies they had. I hope you have a shop close enough to you that gives you the thrill you got when you first started reading-collecting comics that this one gave me, and no,,,, I am NOT affiliated with Mountain Man comics in any way other than being a crazy older comic shop patron.  Excelsior! lucky eddie.

Now it's going to get raided and all the good stuff taken.  Never, ever give away your source.   :wink:

On ‎2017‎/‎09‎/‎18 at 8:45 AM, fast eddie said:

Just checked: there are several pictures on the internet of this store showing layout and one wall that contains slabs. Pictured is silver / bronze / copper age slabs.

Looks great!

14 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Just checked: there are several pictures on the internet of this store showing layout and one wall that contains slabs. Pictured is silver / bronze / copper age slabs.

Looks great!

It does look great.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:03 AM, AdamAnt said:

They regularly sell on ebay as well.  I've bought a couple of slabs from them without any issues.

Good experience buying from them on eBay. I got this one with the last promo code posted on this forum. I'm happy with the purchase and the price was pretty good even without the discount (thumbsu

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Update: Called them to try and buy a book outside of eBay - maybe I caught them on a bad day but the discount they offered was less than the 10% eBay fees they would have pay on the book if I bought it through eBay :tonofbricks:

Sometimes the 10% fee is worth eBay's automated invoicing, payment, and tracking system.

It seems like everyone on Instagram automatically wants the 10% discount for double my work. Manually invoicing cheap-o books isn't worth it unless I'm selling in bulk.  

51 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

Sometimes the 10% fee is worth eBay's automated invoicing, payment, and tracking system.

It seems like everyone on Instagram automatically wants the 10% discount for double my work. Manually invoicing cheap-o books isn't worth it unless I'm selling in bulk.  

I'm sure it makes sense on small ticket books but this book is over $4000.00. Plus I said I would pay by money order so they would save PP/credit card fees. Certainly worth it IMO.

1 minute ago, Jordysnordy said:

I'm sure it makes sense on small ticket books but this book is over $4000.00. Plus I said I would pay by money order so they would save PP/credit card fees. Certainly worth it IMO.

Sounds like you have a good question. Maybe they feel that book drives traffic to their eBay store? I also find it hard to negotiate when the book is already the cheapest BIN. Or maybe you're right and you talked with them on the wrong day.

2 hours ago, FN-2199 said:

Sounds like you have a good question. Maybe they feel that book drives traffic to their eBay store? I also find it hard to negotiate when the book is already the cheapest BIN. Or maybe you're right and you talked with them on the wrong day.

Fair points and I can see eBay traffic being valuable but the book was listed at $600.00 over GPA so I don’t think that I was being unreasonable in anyway. I will find it elsewhere sooner or later.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:34 PM, Jordysnordy said:

Fair points and I can see eBay traffic being valuable but the book was listed at $600.00 over GPA so I don’t think that I was being unreasonable in anyway. I will find it elsewhere sooner or later.

I wonder how their prices are in general? I was in Jackson, MS, recently, and found a shop with an ASM 129, CGC 6.5. They wanted $1000 for it. "That's what they're going for," I was told. Dude was either lying or stupid.

Anyhow, how did their prices in general look? I guess I need to find the ebay store and poke around.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, Jordysnordy said:

Lots of bad and stolen MOs around.