• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect 11/13 auction
1 1

60 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, telerites said:
4 hours ago, buttock said:

Do the books from the "Hidden Valley" collection come with a bottle of ranch dressing? 

Isn't the collection name -"Hidden Valley," an oxymoron?  I mean it's not hidden anymore since they found it so "Found Valley" would be more appropriate :smirk:

Isn't that a brand of salad dressing? hm

53 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I'm happy that I was able to fall back on consigning this book and getting the advance to cover the tremendous financial burden that Harvey has been for us. Five stores that were shuttered for five days, one of those sustaining some fairly significant flood damage, then two weeks more with no new product to sell, and all of that being uninsurable even though we had business interruption insurance...you can guess the math. So not to toot my own horn or ask for a pat on the back or anything...but the choice between a Marvel 1 and getting all of my employees their paychecks is a super easy one and I am so thankful that I had that option. 

And one other thing...I know that Vincent and Stephen take a lot of heat on these boards (heck, I have been right in the middle of it on many occasions), but I really need to give credit where credit is due. On the Tuesday after the storm I realized that our payroll transfer had bounced because the banks had been closed since the previous Friday and were probably not reopening for a few days. I started doing some math and suddenly realized that we could potentially have no cash flow for two weeks with both rent and another payroll due in that time. I called Vincent and simply said how much loot I would need to be solvent. He wired it before even knowing what I would be consigning. Thank you Vincent, and all the folks at ComicConnect. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Hopefully the Marvel does well in the auction!

Great story and good luck!

8 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

including an Action 1 8.0 Conserved

They guy who should be watching this auction closely is the owner of the Action 1 PGX 9.0 (white).  It has fewer condition problems, small tear seal on the back, and better page quality, but is also at least partly cover cleaned (grease spot).  If this 8.0 conserved gets big money, I'd be running that PGX 9.0 to CGC as quickly as I could for a conserved grade.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

And one other thing...I know that Vincent and Stephen take a lot of heat on these boards (heck, I have been right in the middle of it on many occasions), but I really need to give credit where credit is due. On the Tuesday after the storm I realized that our payroll transfer had bounced because the banks had been closed since the previous Friday and were probably not reopening for a few days. I started doing some math and suddenly realized that we could potentially have no cash flow for two weeks with both rent and another payroll due in that time. I called Vincent and simply said how much loot I would need to be solvent. He wired it before even knowing what I would be consigning. Thank you Vincent, and all the folks at ComicConnect. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

:golfclap:

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I'm happy that I was able to fall back on consigning this book and getting the advance to cover the tremendous financial burden that Harvey has been for us. Five stores that were shuttered for five days, one of those sustaining some fairly significant flood damage, then two weeks more with no new product to sell, and all of that being uninsurable even though we had business interruption insurance...you can guess the math. So not to toot my own horn or ask for a pat on the back or anything...but the choice between a Marvel 1 and getting all of my employees their paychecks is a super easy one and I am so thankful that I had that option. 

Sorry to hear that Richard.  Best of luck with this auction.

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Eloquently stated. So sorry about the damage.

I'll do what I can to bid up the book!!

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Hurricane Harvey creates an opportunity for some discerning comic collector.

marvel1.jpg

Twilight books are special someone actually read and took care of them.Such a great copy !

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

They guy who should be watching this auction closely is the owner of the Action 1 PGX 9.0 (white).  It has fewer condition problems, small tear seal on the back, and better page quality, but is also at least partly cover cleaned (grease spot).  If this 8.0 conserved gets big money, I'd be running that PGX 9.0 to CGC as quickly as I could for a conserved grade.

One other thing, this Action 1 last sold, I believe in the June 1995 Sotheby auction.  Back then it was graded as OWL paper of 8.5 to 9 and was noted as having "minimal restoration done at the staple holes", cover "dry cleaned and pressed."

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Richard sorry man. I want a copy of this book but not like this wish you the best.:sorry:

11 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
11 hours ago, SuperBird said:

and poof, lots of books just disappeared. :(

some already had about 1 hr ago ...

I wonder if it's possible that CC simply does a data dump of whatever is sitting in their auction pipeline whenever they load up for the next Event Auction.

Then some of these books get pulled when the consignor sees them as they were actually intended for later auctions or the consignor simply didn't  like some of the other available books that it would be competing against.  hm  (shrug)

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:
8 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I called Vincent and simply said how much loot I would need to be solvent. He wired it before even knowing what I would be consigning. Thank you Vincent, and all the folks at ComicConnect.

:applause:

Richard;

Yes, definitely sorry to hear about your predicament as my initial belief was that you had made it out alright from these nasty hurricanes and floods based upon a post I saw from you last week.  Unfortunately, not so much it would seem.  :frown:

And definitely real top notch of both Vincent and Steve to have your back in your time of need.  :golfclap: