• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect 11/13 auction
1 1

60 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I'm happy that I was able to fall back on consigning this book and getting the advance to cover the tremendous financial burden that Harvey has been for us. Five stores that were shuttered for five days, one of those sustaining some fairly significant flood damage, then two weeks more with no new product to sell, and all of that being uninsurable even though we had business interruption insurance...you can guess the math. So not to toot my own horn or ask for a pat on the back or anything...but the choice between a Marvel 1 and getting all of my employees their paychecks is a super easy one and I am so thankful that I had that option. 

And one other thing...I know that Vincent and Stephen take a lot of heat on these boards (heck, I have been right in the middle of it on many occasions), but I really need to give credit where credit is due. On the Tuesday after the storm I realized that our payroll transfer had bounced because the banks had been closed since the previous Friday and were probably not reopening for a few days. I started doing some math and suddenly realized that we could potentially have no cash flow for two weeks with both rent and another payroll due in that time. I called Vincent and simply said how much loot I would need to be solvent. He wired it before even knowing what I would be consigning. Thank you Vincent, and all the folks at ComicConnect. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Hopefully the Marvel does well in the auction!

I hope it sets an all time record for final hammer price :wishluck:

15 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I'm happy that I was able to fall back on consigning this book and getting the advance to cover the tremendous financial burden that Harvey has been for us. Five stores that were shuttered for five days, one of those sustaining some fairly significant flood damage, then two weeks more with no new product to sell, and all of that being uninsurable even though we had business interruption insurance...you can guess the math. So not to toot my own horn or ask for a pat on the back or anything...but the choice between a Marvel 1 and getting all of my employees their paychecks is a super easy one and I am so thankful that I had that option. 

And one other thing...I know that Vincent and Stephen take a lot of heat on these boards (heck, I have been right in the middle of it on many occasions), but I really need to give credit where credit is due. On the Tuesday after the storm I realized that our payroll transfer had bounced because the banks had been closed since the previous Friday and were probably not reopening for a few days. I started doing some math and suddenly realized that we could potentially have no cash flow for two weeks with both rent and another payroll due in that time. I called Vincent and simply said how much loot I would need to be solvent. He wired it before even knowing what I would be consigning. Thank you Vincent, and all the folks at ComicConnect. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

....ironically, about the same time you were posting this, I was listening to your interview with Vinnie on Comic Zone Radio from 2005..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Yeah sorry about the damages the storm took from your stores Richard.  I hope you can be able to recover from it all soon. Best wishes to you and everyone else!

Stand-up/class act by Vinny and Stephen for helping you out right way during these tough times :golfclap:.  I'm pretty sure your Marvel 1 will do very well.  I mean just look at it, the book looks much better than a 6.0.  Perfect registration, amazing colors, a pedigree, so much going for it.  Looks like an 8.0 at least!

On 9/18/2017 at 9:34 AM, SuperBird said:

They just started posting stuff... wow lots of books. 

Yes, I can definitely see that:

Looks like about 300 different lots of Walking Dead in there with probably over 50 lots of Walking Dead 100 alone. 

Can't forget about the other 200+ lots of X-Men books in there also, right through to issue #300.

Don't see any real headline grabbing books like a Pep 22 or uber HG TOS 39 in there, as the vintage consignors must know that the busy pre-Christmas December month is probably not the best time for selling.  hm

23 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Love #1 and #2

#3, not too interesting for my collecting pallet.

I just put them out there. Personally I am not a collector of restored books but it's still a Superman 1 so we can like some more and some less. In this group I prefer the ASC 3.

Edited by SC22

10 minutes ago, SC22 said:

I just put them out there. Personally I am not a collector of restored books but it's still a Superman 1 so we can like some more and some less. In this group I prefer the ASC 3.

That would be my favorite as well.  I also like the Detective 37 in 5.5 and Action 19 and 20.

5 hours ago, SC22 said:

Also in this auction these 3 major keys.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=739503

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:
4 hours ago, SC22 said:

In this group I prefer the ASC 3.

That would be my favorite as well.

Am I missing something here or does that copy look nowhere even close to a F/VF 7.0 copy?  :whatthe:

Just look at all of the wear around the staples and along not only the spine, but all of the edges of the front and back cover.  :boo:  :screwy:

On 9/18/2017 at 11:25 PM, MrBedrock said:

Bedrock City is a family affair, and I've seen first hand how you support your staff, Richard. And it's heartwarming that CC responded in this way. within the community, we may have our various differences, but overall, I've always wished to believe that we have a genuine community spirit here. Like all the others who've responded earlier, I hope this strategic sacrifice enables you to get back on track as quickly as possible.

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Am I missing something here or does that copy look nowhere even close to a F/VF 7.0 copy?  :whatthe:

Just look at all of the wear around the staples and along not only the spine, but all of the edges of the front and back cover.  :boo:  :screwy:

I actually think it looks like a 7.0. I suspect the book is especially flat which seems to always get bonus points. 

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Agreed I saw all of that to I just like the book that's all.

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I actually think it looks like a 7.0. I suspect the book is especially flat which seems to always get bonus points. 

Well then, I guess we can agree to disagree on this here.  9_9

All I can say is that it looks like night and day when compared to some other CGC books that I have seen graded into the 7's.   (shrug)

For example, take a look at this copy of Sensation 40 with perfect interior white pages:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=676935&title=SENSATIONCOMICS

Apparently, it was all the exterior flaws which brought the book down to a CGC grade of only VF- 7.5.  And yet, at the same time, the exterior of this Sensation sure looks a lot nicer to me than the almost similarly graded CGC 7.0 copy of AS 3:

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Well then, I guess we can agree to disagree on this here.  9_9

All I can say is that it looks like night and day when compared to some other CGC books that I have seen graded into the 7's.   (shrug)

For example, take a look at this copy of Sensation 40 with perfect interior white pages:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=676935&title=SENSATIONCOMICS

Apparently, it was all the exterior flaws which brought the book down to a CGC grade of only VF- 7.5.  And yet, at the same time, the exterior of this Sensation sure looks a lot nicer to me than the almost similarly graded CGC 7.0 copy of AS 3:

On 9/19/2017 at 5:52 PM, killerkomics said:

Regarding the CC conserved Tec #29 cgc 6.5, what happened to the "cleaned" notation from the previous grade?

Cleaned!?  Look at the cover, it's dirty.. I don't see what could have been cleaned.

19 hours ago, Dark Knight said:
On 9/19/2017 at 5:52 PM, killerkomics said:

Regarding the CC conserved Tec #29 cgc 6.5, what happened to the "cleaned" notation from the previous grade?

Cleaned!?  Look at the cover, it's dirty.. I don't see what could have been cleaned.

Yes, it's very easy to "unclean" a cleaned book by simply smudging dirt or some other guck onto the book.  :gossip:

Has anybody checked with CGC if this is considered to be restoration or not, especially if done with intent to mask restoration removal.  lol