• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8? Im not sure..

10 posts in this topic

Do you have a closer shot?

It looks like the microchamber paper they use to aid with preservation is sticking out of the book itself. You might be able to get it to slide back down into position by lightly tapping the book against a hard surface.

A shot of the bottom edge of the book, along with a full shot, would help us help you.

On 9/18/2017 at 5:14 PM, N7 M31 said:

Hello CGC forums.  

Is this book considered a 9.8 with the very noticeable top right edge alignment  ?

I'm very new to the CGC side of comic books ,  any information and what options I can take would be helpful.

The alignment problem often occurs when the cover sticks to the inside of the inner well while the insides of the book shift. You can see that your book has shifted to the bottom of the well. Look at the large gap at the top. The book has even settled in at a slight angle. You can try tapping the slab and getting things aligned BUT it may cause damage at the staples. I don't think it's microchamber paper sticking out. I don't even think they use microchamber  paper in a Modern Book. I would store this book flat, horizontally. Storing it vertically may cause more stress at the staples which nay result in tears. This kind of stuff is called SCS, Shaken Comic Syndrome and used to be way more problematic with the original design of the slab. To answer your question about a 9.8, remember, it's a 9.8 when graded. After encapsulation and shipping, maybe not.  

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The alignment problem often occurs when the cover sticks to the inside of the inner well while the insides of the book shift. You can see that your book has shifted to the bottom of the well. Look at the large gap at the top. The book has even settled in at a slight angle. You can try tapping the slab and getting things aligned BUT it may cause damage at the staples. I don't think it's microchamber paper sticking out. I don't even think they use microchamber  paper in a Modern Book. I would store this book flat, horizontally. Storing it vertically may cause more stress at the staples which nay result in tears. This kind of stuff is called SCS, Shaken Comic Syndrome and used to be way more problematic with the original design of the slab. To answer your question about a 9.8, remember, it's a 9.8 when graded. After encapsulation and shipping, maybe not.  

Bomber-Bob is correct. If it's not the microchamber paper, then it's the sort of issue described by Bomber-Bob.

However, as a collector of primarily modern comics, I can confirm that CGC uses microchamber paper in modern books. Why wouldn't they?

As far as storing it vertically, I've done extensive research on this. Years ago, I posted the results of my findings here on the boards. In short, the CGC claims that the books are just fine stored vertically. However, some collectors believe that storing slabs with the spine of the book face down is the best way to prevent against the sort of damage mentioned by Bomber-Bob. I'm not convinced that it matters, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to store them flat. But it's important to point out that space becomes an issue at that point. You can only stack so many slabs on top of one another.

Currently, my slabs are stored vertically in boxes. Once I complete my run, I intend on purchasing a large cabinet to hold my collection with the spine down, label facing me as I stand facing the open doors of the cab. This is how I personally intend to store my slabs for the ultra-long haul. But for now, I'm not really concerned about any possible damage.

Asking questions is a good start. Conduct your own research and judge what's best for your own collection. These sort of things are quite personal decisions. :)

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Bomber-Bob is correct. If it's not the microchamber paper, then it's the sort of issue described by Bomber-Bob.

However, as a collector of primarily modern comics, I can confirm that CGC uses microchamber paper in modern books. Why wouldn't they?

As far as storing it vertically, I've done extensive research on this. Years ago, I posted the results of my findings here on the boards. In short, the CGC claims that the books are just fine stored vertically. However, some collectors believe that storing slabs with the spine of the book face down is the best way to prevent against the sort of damage mentioned by Bomber-Bob. I'm not convinced that it matters, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to store them flat. But it's important to point out that space becomes an issue at that point. You can only stack so many slabs on top of one another.

Currently, my slabs are stored vertically in boxes. Once I complete my run, I intend on purchasing a large cabinet to hold my collection with the spine down, label facing me as I stand facing the open doors of the cab. This is how I personally intend to store my slabs for the ultra-long haul. But for now, I'm not really concerned about any possible damage.

Asking questions is a good start. Conduct your own research and judge what's best for your own collection. These sort of things are quite personal decisions. :)

I'm not recommending that all CGC books be stored horizontally, no need. However, books like this, where gravity will take it's toll on the situation, I would store it horizontally. I've got, maybe, a dozen slabs stored this way. As you stated, storage is a problem.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

10 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Yes, that looks like the microchamber paper. 

But, to your question, yes it's a CGC 9.8.  It's right there on the label.   :wink:

Yep, it is what it says it is . . . until it's not. :grin: