• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 1 - Cover Color Guide
2 2

95 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ameri said:

My 2c....considering the fact that we are dealing with the exact same company that employed the exact same practice of alternating covers on their Action and Detective titles, it's not far-fetched to mention the Detective covers. If one chooses to believe that O'Mealia was the sole assigned cover artist of all the early Actions and thereby responsible for the Superman covers as well,  then we also have to say that Guardineer was the sole assigned cover artist of all the Detectives (from 23 and up) and thereby he must have drawn all the Batman covers too. Just because Bob Kane signed some covers does not mean that he did the art either. A signature doesn't have to mean artist, it could mean the person conceived the layout. No offense to Bob, but Sheldon Moldoff's name keeps popping up when early Batman covers are discussed.  But back to the Action 1 cover....Superman was conceived in 1933. The initial Superman story may have been drawn in 1933 when Shuster was not a mature artist. When Shuster got the go ahead for Action 1, he used the earlier art to hastily prepare the Action 1 story, but he was also asked to provide a cover which he did not have in hand and had to draw one in 1938. Therefore there can be a great difference between the interior art of Action 1 and the cover. Furthermore, the art improves dramatically with Action 2 obviously because the story in Action 2 was not prepared around 1933. It was a 1938 product.    

It's a plausible theory.  Except, how do you explain that the Superman check doesn't pay for the cover of Action 1?  

And why would Shuster have redrawn a panel of Action 1 for the cover of Action 7?

And why was Guardineer drawing Superman covers for Action after O'Mealia left the title?

And why did O'Mealia do the cover of Superman 1?

27 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

It's a plausible theory.  Except, how do you explain that the Superman check doesn't pay for the cover of Action 1?  

And why would Shuster have redrawn a panel of Action 1 for the cover of Action 7?

And why was Guardineer drawing Superman covers for Action after O'Mealia left the title?

And why did O'Mealia do the cover of Superman 1?

:screwy: I really need a drink now thanks Duck

I assume you're referring to this check? Looks pretty vague in terms of what the $130 & $219 signify.  The Pay Copy of Marvel 1 and Motion Picture Funnies Weekly show payments but they are not clear on the Sub-Mariner story either.  Regarding a redrawn panel..maybe the Action 7 cover was intended for Action 1 but discarded for a more dramatic scene. Shuster swiped his own art from New Comics 6 for the cover of Action 17 so he was known to do that. Guardineer drawing Superman covers after O'Mealia left? I thought only Action 15 has been verified as such, but that's debatable as well. Regarding Superman 1, I only read that O'Mealia did some enhancements to the buildings. The Superman figure on Superman #1 (left image) is pretty much a carbon copy to the Action 10 splash (right image) except for a slight shift in the angle.           

Superman check.jpg

New Comics 6 swipe1.jpg

DC GOLD action 17 ok.jpg

superman 1 vs action 10.JPG

19 minutes ago, Ameri said:

I assume you're referring to this check? Looks pretty vague in terms of what the $130 & $219 signify.  The Pay Copy of Marvel 1 and Motion Picture Funnies Weekly show payments but they are not clear on the Sub-Mariner story either.  Regarding a redrawn panel..maybe the Action 7 cover was intended for Action 1 but discarded for a more dramatic scene. Shuster swiped his own art from New Comics 6 for the cover of Action 17 so he was known to do that. Guardineer drawing Superman covers after O'Mealia left? I thought only Action 15 has been verified as such, but that's debatable as well. Regarding Superman 1, I only read that O'Mealia did some enhancements to the buildings. The Superman figure on Superman #1 (left image) is pretty much a carbon copy to the Action 10 splash (right image) except for a slight shift in the angle.           

Superman check.jpg

New Comics 6 swipe1.jpg

DC GOLD action 17 ok.jpg

You go girl I'm with you woooooooooooooohooooooooooooo ^^

Thanks woowoo! The theories about O'Mealia and Guardineer are compelling, may not necessarily be wrong, but worth delving into.  After looking at that check, I looked at GCD to get some page counts and the amounts on the checks vary from book to book and the math is off. Siegel and Shuster got $36 for the Dr Occult story (4 pages) and Radio Squad (2 pages) in More Fun 32. OK, That's $6 a page X 6 pages = $36.  Then they got $36 for New Adventure 27 which is a Federal Men at 4 pages and 1 text page by Siegel. That's only 5 pages at $7.20 a page (perhaps a text page has a different pay structure?). They appear to get $219 for Detective 16 which is 13 pages of Slam Bradley and 8 pages of Spy = 21 pages. That's like $10.42 a page. The Action 1 story is 13 pages and they get $130 for 13 pages which is $10 a page. Since the amounts paid out from book to book don't exactly calculate evenly, I would be hard-pressed to put so much emphasis on this check. At any rate, it's also very possible that a separate check was cut to Shuster directly for the cover if the cover was unplanned at the time the above check was issued. After all, he would be a solo act if he drew a cover (no Siegel).        

Edited by Ameri

1 hour ago, Ameri said:

If shuster did the inside art work the cover is 100% Shuster they look the same.^^

Edited by woowoo

On 9/23/2017 at 2:59 PM, bluechip said:

13 is Guardineer and the image of superman is a reversed stat of the supe image on action 10

I flipped the Action 10 image (left). The pose may be similar but it's a different drawing than the figure on Action 13 (right).The face, the hands, the hair, the muscle lines, the way the cape furls and position of the left arm...all different. 

Action 10 Action 13 flipped image CLOSEUP.JPG

47 minutes ago, Ameri said:

I flipped the Action 10 image (left). The pose may be similar but it's a different drawing than the figure on Action 13 (right).The face, the hands, the hair, the muscle lines, the way the cape furls and position of the left arm...all different. 

I stand at least partially corrected.   I would say 13 is the 10 image statted, flopped and revised.   But you're right that it's not exactly the same.

1 hour ago, Ameri said:

2 for 2 have a drink on me  (Dilly-Dilly)

DILLY DILLY.jpg

Edited by woowoo

19 minutes ago, bluechip said:

I stand at least partially corrected.   I would say 13 is the 10 image statted, flopped and revised.   But you're right that it's not exactly the same.

You definitely have a point there because there is a thin gray outline around the entire Action 13 figure like it was cut and pasted. The S insignia on the 13 is odd. I don't recall ever seeing such a sharp triangle in a Shuster panel.   

16 hours ago, Ameri said:

Thin outline around the 10 too hm Maybe they are two drawings.

Maybe they're both stats.   And maybe it's the 10 image that's reversed.   Does the "S" look backward? Oh wait that's because you flipped it.  Never mind...

Edited by bluechip

The outline doesn't necessarily mean it's a pasted on stat.  A common inking technique is to NOT connect black bkgnd lines to the outline of. A figure so they pop a bit from the background. Our eyes "see" a separation, and artists have emulate that effect this way in pen and ink work.