• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone own a CGC 10?
3 3

159 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

They don't "regrade" on a reholder.

I have a7.5 IH 181 & a SS marvel preview 2 to send in for reholder.... I'd be worried about the hulk lol

It's not the standard policy to do a regrade, but I thought there were certain cases where they will regrade a book that was sent in for reholder if they see something off (SCS or something like that). 

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

It's not the standard policy to do a regrade, but I thought there were certain cases where they will regrade a book that was sent in for reholder if they see something off (SCS or something like that). 

I'm not sure... Perhaps if the case broke in a way that could affect the comic.... Maybe?

You got me a little nervous, because my IH 181 that I got recently... Is structurally pristine but it has foxing on the back, which is why it is a 7.5...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not sure... Perhaps if the case broke in a way that could affect the comic.... Maybe?

You got me a little nervous, because my IH 181 that I got recently... Is structurally pristine but it has foxing on the back, which is why it is a 7.5...

I bought it specifically because it was a 7.5 and looked great... Though I bought through a dealer there was only a front scan and I didn't ask questions ???O.o

The case broke during shipping but not in a way that would affect the comic....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

When it comes to these uber HG flawless books, are you saying it's based in part on a quota system, as opposed to just the book in front of them?  :o  lol

How NOT surprising at all.  :wink:

No, not a distinct quota system, per se...just an unstated...or, stated early on...that the market might not take them seriously if they had "too many" 9.9s and 10s.

As a result, because of cognitive bias, there exists now a situation whereby the highest population of graded books...by far...is the 9.8 grade, while the 9.9 grade has a mere 1.1% of the total of 9.8s, lower in population than every grade except 2.5 and lower, and the lowest population of all grades is 10, a staggering 0.1% of all books graded. That doesn't make any statistical sense.

9.8s, on the other hand, account for more than 1/3rd of ALL BOOKS graded, at 34%, over 1,000,000 (500k was the last number I remember)..there are 90 9.8s for every 9.9. There are a staggering 382 9.8s for every 10. 

However, when you look at 9.8s to 9.6s...there's only a little over 2 9.8s for every 9.6. 

But, at least in theory, the difference between a 9.8 and 9.9 or 10 is so minimal, almost no one, even those with long years experience grading books, would be able to consistently grade these books precisely the same, over an extended period of time (say, a month or so between grading events.)

That, and the well known mantra that you DO NOT crack 9.9s and 10s, because you are almost certain to get 9.8s back, no matter what happens, and you have a scenario where nothing but a persistent...if subconscious...holding back of awarding 9.9s and 10s explains this statistical difference.

It's one of the things that has been most frustrating to buyers of the absolute highest quality of books: their is no reward for the effort they put in, no payoff. If their "9.8" looks just like a typical 9.8, with a couple of 1/16" NCB spine tics, a very slight 1/32" crunch in one of the corners, a tiny 1/32" color scuff at the top or bottom of the spine...then what's the point? There are 9.8s that look demonstrably worse than others...and not just a handful, we're talking thousands...and there are 9.8s that have just whispers of defects at the very top and bottom of the spine...still get 9.8s. And to the market, those 9.8s are exactly the same thing.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

11 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Read this thread and Gemma's responses.  

Ya it just stated that it will be inspected for damage at the point of damage to the case... So I shouldn't be worried I guess... Because foxing is not a result of a damage case hahaha 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya it just stated that it will be inspected for damage at the point of damage to the case... So I shouldn't be worried I guess... Because foxing is not a result of a damage case hahaha 

Yeah, I don't think a corner ding would really affect your book to where they'd determine a regrade is necessary.   But a 9.9 or 10?  They very well could.  Like I said, too risky.

And, while it's not the exact same thing, RMA noted in his post above that the unwritten rule is "never crack out a 9.9 or 10" b/c your chances of getting it again aren't great.  

What is weird is that it broke in the corner, but the corner post is not busted, just around the post to where you can see the corner of the IH 181. I guess they'd inspect that corner and nothing else @chrisco37

none of the corner of the comic is sticking out, don't get me wrong, but you can look through the crack/chip and see the corner...

Anyway thanks for your help chrisco! I know that it was a "side" convo but I appreciate it

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

23 hours ago, 90sChild said:

The differentiation between a 9.9 and 10.0 is so vague that I could never take them seriously.   You also have to consider how many 9.8 flawless books are in slabs but were not given 9.9 or 10.0 when in reality they are just the same thing.  I guess it comes down to how the grader was feeling that day.  

Agree, which oddly doesn't seem to effect their credibility at all.

A discussion about knowing there should be more or less 9.9s or 10s seems futile.  How can anyone comment meaningfully unless the standard that is used for each grade is known?  I don't think they can.  We can speculate about the standard these books are held to all day long (indeed, I do it all the time) but until then we really have no clue.  Or has CGC published a grading standard that I am unaware of?

Oh and...

X-OManowar1CGC99.jpg

Edited by CKB

1 hour ago, CKB said:

A discussion about knowing there should be more or less 9.9s or 10s seems futile.  How can anyone comment meaningfully unless the standard that is used for each grade is known?  I don't think they can.  We can speculate about the standard these books are held to all day long (indeed, I do it all the time) but until then we really have no clue.  Or has CGC published a grading standard that I am unaware of?

Statistics and the distribution of grades. There is no standard. There is a guide, which is Overstreet, and then it's up to the individual graders.

There is no standard to publish, because it doesn't exist...nor could it. Grading is subjective.