• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone own a CGC 10?
3 3

159 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

LOL.  Maybe, maybe.  I actually did not do much tracking, I bought it as a throw in with 2 other NM 98s.  I wasn't even going to sub it, but needed to round out an invoice so put it in.  It was bought at a local con in Maryland.

:whatthe:

:applause:

3 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

Avengers/JLA#4 CGC 10. I have it in my Photobucket but its so old I can't access the link anymore. 

39 universal CGC 10 for Avengers/JLA #4 on the census, plus two more as Signature Series.

There were 84 CGC 10 awarded for the four issue mini-series, or about one CGC 10 for every 16 copies they graded.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/publisher/:D:C:Marvel:/comicyearstart/2003/comicyearend/2004/label/all/

Edited by valiantman

3 hours ago, tomo said:

I realize that it's a first world problem, but am I the only one bothered by the Gold ink used to print the 10?  I see what they are trying to do, but I'd just rather have it printed in basic black.

It's Gold Ink??:idea:

Honest I always thought it just looked faded.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

1 hour ago, SuperGrover said:

It's Gold Ink??:idea:

Honest I always thought it just looked faded.

+1

Both CGC 10 and CGC 9.9 are gold ink (except for older labels with small grade numbers).

1325827042_1200.jpg 1405111013_1200.jpg

Edited by valiantman

IS it embarrassing to say that everyone should at least own "1"? Granted a CGC 10 that you can still bare to look at the cover.... for me no Grimm Fairy Tales ;) 

or should we keep submitting things that we love and hope for the best :o  

4 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

Yes, that was my book, graded in 2013 auctioned on the Link.  There hasn't been another to my knowledge and it has not resold (that I know of).  

I remember when you got this book and the excitement surrounding the auction. Good times :tink:

11 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I've always wondered what the earliest book that received a 10.0 was.  Could that limited series 1 be the earliest? hm

In terms of the CGC historical grading timeline; I believe this issue (not this exact slab pictured with blue label by OP) is definitely one of the earlier 10.0 slabs graded.  If memory serves, a red label 10.0 Wolvie Limited #1 sold on eBay for a few thousand dollars somewhere around 2003ish to 2005ish. 

The problem with 10s is that, statistically, CGC gives out far fewer 9.9s and 10s than the rest of the census would suggest. This is because CGC has taken the stance that, if people were to take them seriously, they'd need to be very...judicious...about giving those grades out. And, over the years, it just "stuck."

"Yeah, ok RMA, everybody says they have 9.9s and 10s!" 

No doubt.

But there are a handful of people who know how to spot these books, and they haven't been rewarded. There are well over a half a million 9.8s on the census...by far, the most represented grade...but a tiny handful of 9.9s and 10s. A LOT of those 9.8s....perhaps 2-5% of them...deserved to be in 9.9 slabs. Interestingly enough, considered within the context of an allowed defect RANGE, 9.8 is perhaps the "broadest" grade that CGC has. Not that there are 8.5s in 9.8 slabs; but there are certainly books that probably should have graded 9.6, or even 9.4, and definitely 9.9, in 9.8 slabs.

As a result of the (almost certainly unconscious by now) holding back of those grades, there are a lot of books that people won't submit...books they bought off the rack brand new, carefully picking the best copy or copies from the stack, and bagged and boarded them almost instantly.

I've got, out of 120,000 or so comics, about 200-500 books that are dead 9.9s, and 10s. I won't sub them, because they'll get 9.8s, for the most part, and they aren't worth anything as 9.8s.

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

I'd be leery of sending in 9.9's or 10's for reholder.   There's always that chance they could regrade it and bump you down.  Not worth the risk, IMO. 

They don't "regrade" on a reholder.

I have a7.5 IH 181 & a SS marvel preview 2 to send in for reholder.... I'd be worried about the hulk lol

13 hours ago, 90sChild said:

The differentiation between a 9.9 and 10.0 is so vague that I could never take them seriously.   You also have to consider how many 9.8 flawless books are in slabs but were not given 9.9 or 10.0 when in reality they are just the same thing.  I guess it comes down to how the grader was feeling that day.  

^^

I believe you've nailed the key factor here in determining the difference between a CGC 9.8, CGC 9.9, and a CGC 10.0 graded book.  (thumbsu

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The problem with 10s is that, statistically, CGC gives out far fewer 9.9s and 10s than the rest of the census would suggest. This is because CGC has taken the stance that, if people were to take them seriously, they'd need to be very...judicious...about giving those grades out. And, over the years, it just "stuck."

When it comes to these uber HG flawless books, are you saying it's based in part on a quota system, as opposed to just the book in front of them?  :o  lol

How NOT surprising at all.  :wink: