• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America 1941 "Sentinels of Liberty" Club Membership Set
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Nice score Dwight! Harry has/had one of the most amazing collections I have ever seen.  Here is one of the ads that offered this. This is from All Winners #1 and my kit. I have the envelope and badge from the somewhat later copper version but am still looking for the membership card for it.

comadcaptamericaallwinners.jpg

captmaericaad.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

On 2017-09-19 at 3:57 AM, detective35 said:

Just picked this up from Harry Matetsky's collection!  I've always thought this is one of the best premiums to have, especially complete.  Harry upgraded the membership card in it.

IMG_4400.PNG

IMG_4401.PNG

IMG_4402.PNG

IMG_4403.PNG

Very nice set!

This is interesting for a couple of reasons:

1.  The envelope is handwritten.  This is the only one that I can recall seeing that wasn't typed.  I wonder why this one was hand written - any thoughts?

2.  Hake's recently auctioned a pre-printed acknowledgement card addressed and post marked May 13, 1941 to the same Carl von Hake .  This makes it very early in the club's existence.  The card thanked Carl for joining the club,  asked him to write in etc etc.  It must have been a very short lived item as I believe that this is the only known example.

I've compiled a list of 20 or so names, addresses and card numbers of club members.  If you have any, please post them!

On 9/19/2017 at 3:57 AM, detective35 said:

Just picked this up from Harry Matetsky's collection!  I've always thought this is one of the best premiums to have, especially complete.  Harry upgraded the membership card in it.

IMG_4400.PNG

IMG_4401.PNG

IMG_4402.PNG

IMG_4403.PNG

Awesome!  I would like to own one of these someday (thumbsu

On September 19, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Robot Man said:

Speaking of cool comic book club kits. Here is the Shock Gibson kit from Speed Comics. According to Ted Hake, this is the only complete kit he has ever seen. The Speed Comics cover is actually a slightly oversize reproduction of the cover to #11 with a blank back.

speedcomicskit.jpg

never seen one before..Cong...excellent find

On 9/19/2017 at 3:57 AM, detective35 said:

IMG_4400.PNGIMG_4401.PNGIMG_4402.PNG

Truly an item I would love to own. I have a couple of the sentinel of liberty badges, but have never been able to find a sentinel of liberty wallet card. If anyone has one, I would be willing to trade a badge for a wallet membership card.

3 hours ago, comicparadox said:

Truly an item I would love to own. I have a couple of the sentinel of liberty badges, but have never been able to find a sentinel of liberty wallet card. If anyone has one, I would be willing to trade a badge for a wallet membership card.

The membership card and envelope are probably 10 times more rare than the badge. Case in point, you have a couple of badges. However I  did find a stray copper badge envelope once by it's self. The brass and copper badge envelope and card have very slight differences. And for sake of accuracy, both versions came with a small piece of cardboard that the badges were pinned to for mailing. 

On 9/20/2017 at 6:53 PM, Robot Man said:

The membership card and envelope are probably 10 times more rare than the badge. Case in point, you have a couple of badges. However I  did find a stray copper badge envelope once by it's self. The brass and copper badge envelope and card have very slight differences. And for sake of accuracy, both versions came with a small piece of cardboard that the badges were pinned to for mailing. 

Yeah, I don't think the membership card was in the set that my wife snagged as a Xmas 🎁 to your's truly a couple of years back.  I'll double check, but I don't recall the wallet card's inclusion...

image_zps5yyp4lie.jpeg

Also, the premium letter was indeed typed out which seems to be the more common mail out.

18 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Yeah, I don't think the membership card was in the set that my wife snagged as a Xmas 🎁 to your's truly a couple of years back.  I'll double check, but I don't recall the wallet card's inclusion...

image_zps5yyp4lie.jpeg

Also, the premium letter was indeed typed out which seems to be the more common mail out.

Hi Cat-Man - Out of curiosity, what is the name and membership number on your card?  I keep a running list of all these card numbers, members' names and addresses that I come across as I find it really offers a connection to these old comics from the past to the present.  I'd love to add your card's info to my list.

The lowest card number that I've found is 12472 and the highest number is 72046.  

Does anyone know of any lower or higher card numbers?  

Does anyone know whether Timely cut off membership at any particular number?

GREAT THREAD by the way - anyone that has them please post your envelopes and cards!

I have the badge but no envelope or card :cry: .  I know, however, the boy's name and his home town which I guess is the next best thing. 

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/7/2019 at 11:54 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

image_zps5yyp4lie.jpeg

Cat, you are really lucky to have the small blank envelope that contained the badge when mailed out. They are usually missing. Also, the kit pictured is complete. There was no letter included.

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Cat, you are really lucky to have the small blank envelope that contained the badge when mailed out. They are usually missing. Also, the kit pictured is complete. There was no letter included.

Yeah, I was referring to the typed mailing envelope, not a letter.  That was simply a brain fart on my part.

12 hours ago, detective35 said:

Yes it was! 

All the above items were in the set.  I sold the complete set to her from an auction I won (already had mine).

Dwight

Absolutely.  Thanks for clearing that up, Dwight! This was one of the best gifts my wife ever surprised me with.  An excellent example of the Sentinels of Liberty Kit, in extremely well cared for condition.

7 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Hi Cat-Man - Out of curiosity, what is the name and membership number on your card?  I keep a running list of all these card numbers, members' names and addresses that I come across as I find it really offers a connection to these old comics from the past to the present.  I'd love to add your card's info to my list.

The lowest card number that I've found is 12472 and the highest number is 72046.  

Does anyone know of any lower or higher card numbers?  

Does anyone know whether Timely cut off membership at any particular number?

GREAT THREAD by the way - anyone that has them please post your envelopes and cards!

I have the badge but no envelope or card :cry: .  I know, however, the boy's name and his home town which I guess is the next best thing. 

34648 was the membership number on the card in my set.

I'd literally forgotten the info included on the back of the card. The different sized images of the membership card shown in this thread left me thinking there must've been a separate card, possibly sent to members later. (D'oh!)

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

34648 was the membership number on the card in my set.

I'd literally forgotten the info included on the back of the card. The different sized images of the membership card shown in this thread left me thinking there must've been a separate card, possibly sent to members later. (D'oh!)

Thank you very much for posting that - much appreciated.