• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicconnect November 2017 auction

244 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Nexus said:

I don't rate the page quite as highly as you, but I'll second the congrats. Very surprised it sold so low. Well bought by the winner!

I really liked the page as well and thought it would hit $8K at a minimum, and maybe even $10-12K.  $7.2K was very well bought by the winner (not me, though, I did seriously consider going after it!)

8 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Wasn't this page being sold on CAF for $11K (or 15k) for the longest time? Maybe I'm thinking of another? It's no surprise it went under 10K if it couldn't find a buyer at 11k. This is a definitive image of Torch and it set the tone for MARVELS. I guess because it wasn't part of the MARVELS continuity it didn't break 5 figures. Maybe it would have on HA or CLink. It's definitely one of my grails and I seriously considered cashing in my collection for it when it was on CAF. 

I think your right... It was bedrockcity that listed for 15k. Maybe He can chime in since he is a boardie.

I love the image. I think it went low and its a 12-15k piece. Its Alex Ross breakout comic Marvels 1.

Very nice and well bought by the winning bidder!!

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I really liked the page as well and thought it would hit $8K at a minimum, and maybe even $10-12K.  $7.2K was very well bought by the winner (not me, though, I did seriously consider going after it!)

I considered bidding, but then totally forgot comicconnect had an auction ending last night lol

It's not the most memorable page, but it is a nice self-contained scene with a great shot of V in the last panel.

7 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Why?  Because it is unworthy or because it's priced out of your comfort range?

Scott

The former.

Come on, it's Travis Charest.  The poor man's Jim Lee.

2 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

So TWD market experts I'm curious, how were the prices on TWD art? At market?

I'm not an expert but the stuff I was looking at went for market prices or above.  I was hoping for something to fall through the cracks

3 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

So TWD market experts I'm curious, how were the prices on TWD art? At market?

So, here's a partial list of what sold:

#1 splash (Rick in bed):  $27,000
#26 cover (zombies reflected in helmet):  $18,300
#106 wraparound heroes vs. zombies cover:  $16,252
#2 first app. Glenn page:  $10,600
#108 cover (1st Ezekiel/Shiva):  $8,420
#6 Carl shoots Shane page:  $8,000
#101 variant cover (Michonne blaxploitation cover by Rugg):  $4,600
#2 second app. Glenn page:  $4,350
#108 half splash second Ezekiel/Shiva:  $2,655
#91 first Jesus app. splash:  $2,550
#115 All Out War good guys DPS:  $2,472
#98 Abraham dies page:  $2,100
#33 Michonne starts to scoop out Governor's eye page:  $2,100
#26 Rick/Michonne/Glenn splash:  $2,052
#33 Michonne scoops out eyeball page:  $1,850

I'm not super-fanatical about tracking WD OA prices, but, these strike me as being pretty healthy considering the absence of James J (the seller) from the bidding process.  I think a lot of people, for example, expected the #1 splash to sell for a lot less this time around (it obviously did not).  

Among the more run-of-the-mill pages, there were deals to be had, IMO - prices were certainly lower on a number of them than one would have expected on eBay or at a dealer prior to the announcement of this collection liquidation. 

1 hour ago, Claudio said:

I'm not an expert but the stuff I was looking at went for market prices or above.  I was hoping for something to fall through the cracks

There use to be lots of more obscure auctions where I was able to get stuff that falls through the cracks.  Comicconnect, Hakes, MyComicShop. Those have become known now :cry:

Malvin

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, Filter81 said:

Even buried, The wolv 75 splash is already at roughly double the price it sold for in CL a few years ago and still has days to go!  Looks like it is going to blow past what I thought it would sell for.  Not sure if it's because the description kind of makes it seem like this is the actual issue Wolverine gets his skeleton ripped out, if it's because the Adam Kubert OA market has gotten that hot in the last few years, or 90s collectors like myself are just desperate for a good page from this storyline.  (Or if it's because CC often nets very strong auction results for consignors in general)  Or some combination of all of the above.. 

Yup probably a combo of the above.

I'm a little curious now.  I can't think of too many other examples of 1990s interior pages (not done by someone named Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane or Barry Windsor-Smith) cracking 5 figures.  Does that put this piece in pretty rarefied air?  Or are there other 90s pages that would sell for 5 figures and I'm just not thinking of them at the moment?

There are Perez/Lim Infinity Gauntlet and Silver Surfer pages that would bring in 5-figures if they ever become available:cloud9:

5 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I'm not super-fanatical about tracking WD OA prices, but, these strike me as being pretty healthy considering the absence of James J (the seller) from the bidding process.  I think a lot of people, for example, expected the #1 splash to sell for a lot less this time around (it obviously did not).  

Among the more run-of-the-mill pages, there were deals to be had, IMO - prices were certainly lower on a number of them than one would have expected on eBay or at a dealer prior to the announcement of this collection liquidation. 

Agreed. Very pleased with the deals this auction:bigsmile:

Edited by Dick O.